Sponsored by:

Need help please my 00 ls1 vette over heats

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM
EvilLs1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please my 00 ls1 vette over heats

Hi ppl since I got my car i notice that when its on idle the temtpature starts goin up pass the normal mark which is 220 I believe but wen I start driven it over 5mph the tempature starts dropping down so I figure my fans aren't turning on on time, so I got my Fans set to turn on when I turn the ignition on so the fans are on all the time wen the car is on both fans the cooling and the ac fan. But I notice its still the same problem but it takes just a bit longer to warm up but still passes the 220 mark and cools down when on the freeway. Any ideas what's wrong with my vette ??
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
EvilLs1
Intermediate

•55mph
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM
warlock007
Pro

turn your fans to normal and find the problem.

check radiator grate, these cars pick up everything on the road. use aircompressor to blow it out

Thermostat( sounds like its closed but not completely) replace with 160 if bad

Temp sensor
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilLs1

check radiator grate, these cars pick up everything on the road. use air compressor to blow it out
I'd start here and would be willing to bet this is the cause of the problem, although you won't see even half of what's really stuck in there until you blow/spray it out.

If you don't have an air compressor a water hose will work too.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
EvilLs1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
C5 fans were not designed for continuous operation. You'll be burning them up real soon if you leave them set that way.

Fan operation from the factory is like this:

When the the coolant temp reaches 226 degrees the fans (both) come on in low speed mode. When the coolant temp drops to 219 the fans go off. If the Coolant temp reaches 235 degrees the fans come on in high speed mode. (Both). When the coolant reaches 226 degrees the fans revert to low speed mode of operation.

If you turn the AC on and the coolant reaches 185 degrees the fans come on in low speed mode. They do NOT go into high speed mode unless the coolant reaches 235 degrees.

When the vehicle is above 35MPH the fans are commanded off by the PCM irrespective of engine temp or AC on.

Likely the forward face of the radiator core is plugged up with debris. These cars are bottom feeders for cooling air and they therefore suck up anything on the road including plastic bags, and small children.

Get under the car and check out the radiator and clean it as needed.
Ok I'm goin to clean out the whole radiator right now and See if that's the problem but I really don't think it's dirty in there . What if problem continues if its all cleaned out?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'd start here and would be willing to bet this is the cause of the problem, although you won't see even half of what's really stuck in there until you blow/spray it out.

If you don't have an air compressor a water hose will work too.
I agree, just cleaned this out of mine yesterday. Noticed my temps going up last week. I clean mine a couple times a year.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the coolant. Make sure it isn't "muddy". Check for debris as others said. Put fans back to normal operation.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your description in your first post doesn't really identify a problem. Pretty much normal operation to warm up sitting idling and cool off when the car is moving. 220 is NOT considered HOT for these cars which GM obviously wanted to run hot (226 factory fan turn on temp for low speed fan mode).

You may not like it that hot and there are things that can be done to keep it a little cooler. The very first thing is insure the radiator face is clean and free of debris and that the coolant is NOT muddy brown as has already been said.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyT
Check the coolant. Make sure it isn't "muddy". Check for debris as others said. Put fans back to normal operation.
I did a radiator flush a few months ago and my running temp dropped almost 30 degrees, from 220 to 193.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 PM
sonny557
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wand

i made a aluminum wand to wash the radiator fins off with. kinda tapped the outlet end smaller to have a little more pressure, worked great, had no problem with bending the fins, be sure to cover the engine with some large plastic trash bags, after i cleaned the a/c condenser, i draped a trash bag between the condenser and the radiator to keep from washing sand and grit into the cleaned out condenser fins. i have a tubing bender to make the radius. harbor freight has inexpensive benders for $6 or less.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM
sonny557
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default aluminum tube

i got the aluminum tube at harbor freight, then modified it to fit between the two radiators.

Last edited by sonny557; 06-09-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: e
Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonny557
i got the aluminum tube at harbor freight, then modified it to fit between the two radiators.

good call
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have installed a 160 degree thermostat in my 01 vert and and I also installed a COOL-IT fan control which is really easy to install.I have never needed to use it since the thermostat was swapped out.Good advise on the forum.
Fred
Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Clean your radiator change out your coolant add redline coolant treatment and you should be good also remember these cars are Hoover vaccum cleaners they suck everything up on the road

Pops
Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your description in your first post doesn't really identify a problem. Pretty much normal operation to warm up sitting idling and cool off when the car is moving. 220 is NOT considered HOT for these cars which GM obviously wanted to run hot (226 factory fan turn on temp for low speed fan mode).

You may not like it that hot and there are things that can be done to keep it a little cooler. The very first thing is insure the radiator face is clean and free of debris and that the coolant is NOT muddy brown as has already been said.
Exactly... 220 is NOT out of the norm by any means on these cars.

But good advice to clean out the radiator debris anyway... it's good maintenance to keep it cleaned out.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help please my 00 ls1 vette over heats

Quick Reply: Need help please my 00 ls1 vette over heats