Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DMV Messed up - What are the odds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Chanda's Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMV Messed up - What are the odds?

About 10:30pm Saturday I was at church tidying up before Sunday morning and I had the vette parked under the drive-thru since it had started raining. Tail lights caught my eye pulling up behind my car when I looked out it was a Sheriff. When I went out to see what was going on he asked if it was my car. I told him yes he asked how long I'd had it. He had ran the plates before I came out and turns out my plates are registered to a 2005 Expedition in South Texas and he thought the car was stolen. WHAT??? The registration sticker on my window was correct but my plates were one number off. Title also matches the window sticker. Now I have to go Tuesday and get new plates and window sticker. This happened to anyone besides me?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Im curious why he profiled your vette. Do they just run plates all the time?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

a lot of police cars had plate scanners on the trunk... could have been automagic.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got randomly pulled over aka harassed the other day (first thing the Officer says to me is, "Out taking dads car for a joy ride?", mind you I was at a stop light in heavy traffic and the car mine. He ran my plates and said I have 4 warrants. I was like excuse me!

Turns out the Courts never updated 3 fix it tickets and a ticket that was dismissed from the system and now I am a wanted man. Funny thing is, I just renewed my license so the DMV report was correct!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by darkstar.c5
a lot of police cars had plate scanners on the trunk... could have been automagic.
So they no longer have to stop you anymore and ask for papers? Wow, that's creepy!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sfc rick
So they no longer have to stop you anymore and ask for papers? Wow, that's creepy!

Depends on the infraction. Most of the automated scanners are for searching for cars on the Boot List, Parking Tickets, or Speed Cameras. Most of the other things it is illegal in most jurisdictions to use. Its part of the entrapment law.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
I got randomly pulled over aka harassed the other day (first thing the Officer says to me is, "Out taking dads car for a joy ride?", mind you I was at a stop light in heavy traffic and the car mine. He ran my plates and said I have 4 warrants. I was like excuse me!

Turns out the Courts never updated 3 fix it tickets and a ticket that was dismissed from the system and now I am a wanted man. Funny thing is, I just renewed my license so the DMV report was correct!
So how much was bail?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

so with 4 warrants, weren't you taken into custody on the spot and your car towed? Is everything sorted out now?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
So how much was bail?

$5000 - Illegal Tint
$4000 - No Turn Signal on Right Turn within 100 Feet (Dismissed in court)
$1000 - Front Plate Infraction / Plate not in center of front bumper

and

$500 - Expired Metro Pass

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
so with 4 warrants, weren't you taken into custody on the spot and your car towed? Is everything sorted out now?
Luckily, the Cop gave me the tickets, took them out of the system and gave me a court date. He said he didn't have time to take someone to jail for nothing. I also know a Sheriff from that city and he gave me some good advice. I actually still have a copy of my DMV abstract from the first 3 times they didn't fix these in the system.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,435 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Never had that happen to me, but at least you now know there was a mistake.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

cops run your plates all the time. i did ride a long with a guy who was a fellow military cop who got out and became a city cop in seattle. he would run plates on his laptop all the time then when one came with warrants or what not he would follow the person until they did some infraction to give them the excuse of pulling them over. seemed shady to me but he said thats how the city gets most of their traffic arrests.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by baxsom
cops run your plates all the time. i did ride a long with a guy who was a fellow military cop who got out and became a city cop in seattle. he would run plates on his laptop all the time then when one came with warrants or what not he would follow the person until they did some infraction to give them the excuse of pulling them over. seemed shady to me but he said thats how the city gets most of their traffic arrests.
Thats the crazy thing. I got pulled over by a CHP officer a few weeks ago and nothing came up. He pulled me over because I didn't have my plates yet from the DMV.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

He may have been using SCMODS--you know State County Municipal Offender Database Sysytem
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Chanda's Vette
Advanced

Officer said he was just making sure there wasn't anything hinkey going on. Real reason is probably just because he could.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Never had that happen to me, but at least you now know there was a mistake.
Yes going Tuesday plates and sticker in hand and have them replace both.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought my 94 to Florida to register it and when I was filling in the mileage my pen didn't put good ink on the last number. It was supposed to be 95,488 but the 8s looked messed up and actually looked like a 6 from the lack of ink on the paper. So I went back over the 8s again. The lady at the DMV would not accept my mileage and put not exact miles on my title. She said the only way she would change it was if I brought the prior owner in and he could verify the mileage. He lived in Idaho so that was out of the question. I was so pissed. I could see it it was thousands on miles but the difference was 22 miles and 22 added miles, not subtracted !!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

$5000 - Illegal Tint
$4000 - No Turn Signal on Right Turn within 100 Feet (Dismissed in court)
$1000 - Front Plate Infraction / Plate not in center of front bumper

and

$500 - Expired Metro Pass

Luckily, the Cop gave me the tickets, took them out of the system and gave me a court date. He said he didn't have time to take someone to jail for nothing. I also know a Sheriff from that city and he gave me some good advice. I actually still have a copy of my DMV abstract from the first 3 times they didn't fix these in the system.
With citation cost like that, how can Ca be so broke...
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a local court forget to mark a ticket as paid. I got my license suspended. Highway patrol stopped me
years later and they were to busy to jail me or tow my truck. They let a fiend pick up my truck,
gave me tickets and took my license.

Later that day I had the officer give me my license back and told me in 20 plus years of law
enforcement he had never seen someone get the license handed back to them or a ticket
over turned within 24 hours.

I missed a day of work, and drove all over the freaking country side but I proved it was the courts fault.

The court never even said sorry... they said legal it is my responsibility to make sure my court
papers are submitted to the DMV, not theirs. Bull crap...

Thankfully, I had papers showing I paid the fine.

Get notified of new replies

To DMV Messed up - What are the odds?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Now I'm afraid to drive home
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Yes. They do. Routine practice, not necessarily "profiling". Besides, they know which are the more commonly stolen cars in their region/area, such as Hondas, Toyotas, etc but mainly unpaid tickets/warrants, etc are being looked for.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

They can look up my tags anytime they wish. It's the getting pulled over I have an issue with

This weekend I saw a state cop on the highway hiding in a dip in the road. I don't have a problem with them out doing their job, but that's a little too aggressive for my tastes.

I taught him though. I was going the speed limit. Well I looked down and I was going 67 in a 65. Close enough.

Quick Reply: DMV Messed up - What are the odds?