Sponsored by:

Help. I drive to fast and agressive

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
2001yellow/redC5
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001yellow/redC5
I have owned 3 daily driver Corvettes over the years. All were modded. Never wrecked or caused a wreck. I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. I try too relax and drive with traffic, play music, etc... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.
All, thanks for the input. I want to point out that I do not drive in a wreckless, agressive or fast manor daily, I find myself tempted by driving quickly, turning sharply and braking quickly. I realize this is a problems with me and my driving style. I must say this thread has been a wake up call and made me take a long hard look at myself. I am embrassed and well should be.
I will think of all you out there and all those people and familes before I ever feel compelled to drive that way in the future. Thanks again

Last edited by 2001yellow/redC5; 05-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Haxzaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some thoughts for you:

I realize, and try to remember, that a lot of people think Corvette drivers are douches. I consciously try not to do anything that will perpetuate those thoughts.

I took a sport driving classroom course years ago in England, and one thing the instructor said that I will never forget is, "If someone sees you do something illegal or dangerous, you messed up." In other words do what you want when no one else is around for you to hurt or kill.

I get frustrated quite a few times because of the things drivers do. At times my frustration swells to the point I drive in a manner that I later regret, regardless of what vehicle I'm driving. I often take routes that have less traffic, even though it is a longer trip, so that I can avoid those issues as much as possible.

Bottom line, think about what you're doing, or about to do, and make the decision to be better than that. Not easy, it takes practice, but it gets easier over time.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Firepituk
Cruising

Interesting question...

Here in the UK lots of people find it difficult to obey the speed limits. It's a fact that the motorway speed can be around 85mph-95mph with most people only doing 70 if there are speed cameras or bad weather.

The odd thing I noticed when I got the vette was how easy it is to do the actual speed limits. It's because of the high torque which makes low speed driving super easy. My driving is slower in the vette than it is in my 730d BMW.

That tells me it's not a car problem it's a driver problem. So why not fit a B&B bullet exhaust system, which sounds wicked at lower speeds, to give you that sense of a faster speed, whilst remaining alive and out of trouble with the traffic cops.

If that fails go and volunteer at a hospital and it won't be long before you see the effects that poor and selfish driving has on people and their families.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:54 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Haxzaw
Here are some thoughts for you:

I realize, and try to remember, that a lot of people think Corvette drivers are douches. I consciously try not to do anything that will perpetuate those thoughts.

I took a sport driving classroom course years ago in England, and one thing the instructor said that I will never forget is, "If someone sees you do something illegal or dangerous, you messed up." In other words do what you want when no one else is around for you to hurt or kill.

I get frustrated quite a few times because of the things drivers do. At times my frustration swells to the point I drive in a manner that I later regret, regardless of what vehicle I'm driving. I often take routes that have less traffic, even though it is a longer trip, so that I can avoid those issues as much as possible.

Bottom line, think about what you're doing, or about to do, and make the decision to be better than that. Not easy, it takes practice, but it gets easier over time.
Couldnt of put it better..
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Get a $517 good driving award from the state of CT...
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by hdkeno
Couldnt of put it better..
Yes, you could have.

OP, I drive aggressively as well. I make no apologies for it. I pray I never have to.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Buy a Vette and then drive like you have one foot in the grave and another on a banana peal. NOT!!

Of course most Vette drivers will drive more agressive than Soccer moms in their SADs (Slow and Dangerous).

No, you should not be dangerous or wreckless. But getting from 0-70,80 in about 6 seconds, should be a given on occasion.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Nah, you just need to roll with it....If you have the Need for speed then just understand that thats your personallity and gas on that Biotch!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
Nah, you just need to roll with it....If you have the Need for speed then just understand that thats your personallity and gas on that Biotch!
Dear god.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

A couple of speeding tickets and or reckless driving tickets and
your insurance rates going through the roof and you will slow
down.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
A couple of speeding tickets and or reckless driving tickets and
your insurance rates going through the roof and you will slow
down.
Several have said this and I can tell you from experience it is not true. The system is broken. It does not punish or deter. It simply collects a fee for speeding as a tax is collected. I can take defensive driving every year and my ticket is dismessed and the insurance company never knows it happened. If you keep your tickets 12 months apart, NOTHING will happen. Of course there are exceptions. Crazy speed will get your car impounded and you're not getting out of that kind of ticket easily. Most tickets I have gotten are 75 in a 60 or 65.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

I have owned 3 daily driver Corvettes over the years. All were modded. Never wrecked or caused a wreck. I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. I try too relax and drive with traffic, play music, etc... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.
Go to night school and try and get your GED.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
HPDE.

After you do that a few times anything you do on the street will seem tame and boring. After you've done 150, the difference between going 65 or 85 isn't going to move your excitement meter at all.

after a few hundred miles over the years, above 130 mph. or above 160 in a ZR1, Its no big deal/

Get a pick up truck and driving at highway speeds 65 when all the other wannabes go flying by at 80. you just smirk
Old 05-26-2013, 05:15 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well you ask for it, So your the Corvette driver that gives us all a bad rap for driving a Corvette.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Perhaps a small adjustable stop under the gas peddle or on your linkage. Adjust until you find your safe zone.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM
sprintracer99
Heel & Toe

Speed doesn't kill..It's the sudden stop that kills. I let my Vette run most everytime it's out, but we live in a very rural area also. America.. Land of the Free !

Get notified of new replies

To Help. I drive to fast and agressive

Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

... I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. ... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.
Mature
Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

after a few hundred miles over the years, above 130 mph. or above 160 in a ZR1, Its no big deal/

Get a pick up truck and driving at highway speeds 65 when all the other wannabes go flying by at 80. you just smirk

Pull it down from 180 at Daytona to make the turn into the infield a few times and you realize how squirrelly it is to jump between lanes on the highway thinking you're Oliver Gavin...

Not saying I won't push my car hard without endagering others but I also have a pretty healthy sense of aftermath.

Last edited by WKMCD; 05-26-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Several have said this and I can tell you from experience it is not true. The system is broken. It does not punish or deter. It simply collects a fee for speeding as a tax is collected. I can take defensive driving every year and my ticket is dismessed and the insurance company never knows it happened. If you keep your tickets 12 months apart, NOTHING will happen. Of course there are exceptions. Crazy speed will get your car impounded and you're not getting out of that kind of ticket easily. Most tickets I have gotten are 75 in a 60 or 65.
??????

Quick Reply: Help. I drive to fast and agressive