Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You may enjoy this heated discussion about our beloved pop-up headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default You may enjoy this heated discussion about our beloved pop-up headlights...

The sparring among these members is almost laughable, but it involves our C5 headlights, which I for one feel are critical to the front end's understated design....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...rash-laws.html
Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I had to post something on that.... Just for fun.

Toque
Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

There is nothing technically desirable about the pop-ups and they are very much a product of a bygone era. I do like that my C5 has pop-ups, because it is a distinctive feature that we won't see anymore. I like them like I like carburetors. I'd never want them on a new car and I'm glad GM didn't stick with them just for tradition's sake.

I like the C4 pop-ups that rotate out 270 degrees even better.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was starting my car the other night at a convienent store and a small boy was getting into his moms van next to me and he was looking at my car and sayin WOW and when i popped the headlights up you should have seen his face! lol, i thought it was funny. I didnt even think about the fact that cars dont have the popup headlights anymore and this was probably something new to him.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
The sparring among these members is almost laughable, but it involves our C5 headlights, which I for one feel are critical to the front end's understated design....

Agree. The headlights on C6's just interrupt (albeit slightly) the flow of the car. The C5 is as smoooooooth as it gets.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
I was starting my car the other night at a convienent store and a small boy was getting into his moms van next to me and he was looking at my car and sayin WOW and when i popped the headlights up you should have seen his face! lol, i thought it was funny. I didnt even think about the fact that cars dont have the popup headlights anymore and this was probably something new to him.
Great story!

I had a similar thing happen to me when I picked up my son from one of his after school events. It was early evening and the sun was setting, so while in the slow roll pick-up line, I switched on my ACA HID pop-ups and a bunch of the boys started pointing and yelling "cool". It was then I realized that many of them probably never ever saw pop-up lights before.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i like the c6 body quite a bit better, just more modern. c5 is cool and all. i just never have liked the pop up headlights
Old 05-15-2013, 04:41 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Great story!

I had a similar thing happen to me when I picked up my son from one of his after school events. It was early evening and the sun was setting, so while in the slow roll pick-up line, I switched on my ACA HID pop-ups and a bunch of the boys started pointing and yelling "cool". It was then I realized that many of them probably never ever saw pop-up lights before.

Nor any lights as bright....even the C6 HIDs are borderline as pointed out by one of the guys in that thread...I agree, they've never seemed as bright as my aftermarket ACAs.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by racebum
i like the c6 body quite a bit better, just more modern. c5 is cool and all. i just never have liked the pop up headlights
But you DO like them when they are down, flat on the hood, don't you? When they are up, yes, they look clunky, but it will be nighttime and no one will see them anyway!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

But you DO like them when they are down, flat on the hood, don't you? When they are up, yes, they look clunky, but it will be nighttime and no one will see them anyway!!!
Yep and most of my car action is during the day anyway
Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racebum
The C6 is edgier for sure, both literally and figuratively. I like the C6's mean look. I like model a lot but I just like the C5 design more.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Plus, I love the "stealth" look of a black C5 with DRLs in the daytime.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Quite a bit of unexpected praise for our C5s in that link.

Thanks for posting. Wasn't aware that modern car design was influenced by such stupid mandates.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Plus, I love the "stealth" look of a black C5 with DRLs in the daytime.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WetteVette
Quite a bit of unexpected praise for our C5s in that link.

Thanks for posting. Wasn't aware that modern car design was influenced by such stupid mandates.
Yes, very odd ruling. Regarding the C5 and C6 lights, the statement that the C5 headlights are 'heavy' intrigues me. I wonder if anyone has ever weighed the 2 assemblies to verify a significant difference? Seems to me the clear plastic lens on the C6 has to be at least as heavy as some of the C5 metal bracketry. If that lens is at least 3/16" thick acrylic or polycarbonate it has to come in on the heavy side, however, there is much difference in the 2 designs so a comparison of individual components is meaningless.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Yes, very odd ruling. Regarding the C5 and C6 lights, the statement that the C5 headlights are 'heavy' intrigues me. I wonder if anyone has ever weighed the 2 assemblies to verify a significant difference? Seems to me the clear plastic lens on the C6 has to be at least as heavy as some of the C5 metal bracketry. If that lens is at least 3/16" thick acrylic or polycarbonate it has to come in on the heavy side, however, there is much difference in the 2 designs so a comparison of individual components is meaningless.
I also found it funny how some people seriously complained about them acting as air brakes and effect on speed aerodynamics.

I can understand if your competing in the 24 hours of LeMans, but street driving?!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When I made the initial 700+ mile drove home with my new car a few weeks ago, I will admit to forgetting about the pop up headlights and then giggling like a little girl after I turned them on!

Get notified of new replies

To You may enjoy this heated discussion about our beloved pop-up headlights...

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
Very cool story. Along the same lines, a friend of mine was telling me about having taken his boys to a vintage car show and the thing that impressed them the most was there were "actual handles to crank the windows down with!!!!!!!" It was something they'd never seen before as just about every car has power windows now.

I just had to chuckle about it a little.

DSTURBD
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
maroman88
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had nothing but problems with the pop ups on my old 98 trans am and current 97 trans am, but the vettes have been flawless. ive got hid projectors in there, so that argument that GM couldnt make them is bs.

i had a kid come up to me last year and asked me to turn on the headlights cause hes never seen them pop up before lol
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Yes, very odd ruling. Regarding the C5 and C6 lights, the statement that the C5 headlights are 'heavy' intrigues me. I wonder if anyone has ever weighed the 2 assemblies to verify a significant difference?
I hate to whet your appetite, but for some reason I googled "weight of Z06 wheels" the other day and came up with a website that listed the weight savings of different components if removed from the car. The weight saving for the pop ups was significant, I think around 15 lbs. I was skeptical but didn't pursue it any further. If I can find the site, I'll post it.

Quick Reply: You may enjoy this heated discussion about our beloved pop-up headlights...