Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP cutouts C5 installation (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default QTP cutouts C5 installation (pictures)

I was running B & B Bullets but I had to install my factory exhaust to pass inspection. I didn't want to keep changing out my exhaust every two years so I just went with the cutouts. Actually I like being able to have a choice of stock, quiet exhaust or WFO. Sounds great when they're open.

This is what I came up with for my cutouts on my A4. I cut the factory tips off the mufflers and welded on some tips I made from the old pipes so the exhaust from the mufflers dumps down. I then fabbed up and welded two pipes right where the exhaust turns towards the mufflers and welded the flanges for the cutouts. I then welded a reducer on the flanges on the other side of the cutouts (the tips are 4 1/2" OD double wall with 3" inlets) and the tips are welded to them. I decided to install them in the back so I could service them if I needed to, and also to verify that they were both working. Not the mention, there's really not that many places they fit on an automatic. I'm surprised I haven't seen others installed that way. It also made the wiring very easy. Here are a couple of pictures. Hope it helps someone considering an install.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 AM
spankdxm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you make sure to loctite the electric motor covers? They tend to vibrate off lol
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 AM
C5-1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

That mod is on my wish list

There must be another place to install those...
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spankdxm
Did you make sure to loctite the electric motor covers? They tend to vibrate off lol
No, I didn't touch them.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5-1
That mod is on my wish list

There must be another place to install those...
Why? To me this is the perfect location. They're easy to work on and visually check and you don't see them when the car's on the ground unless you really look close. If that bothers you, you could always install a cover plate like lots of guys do anyways.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Hmmmmmm, Never seen it done like that before, Not so sure I would like the exhaust to just dump out of the muffler like that when the cutouts are closed. I would of rather have the cutouts dump out the bottom.
Hope it works good for you. I bet it sounds strange when the cutouts are closed and no sound from the tips.
Mr.Bill

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 07-16-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice clean install, you're the first I've seen do them like that. My personal preference aligns with Mr. Bill's in that I would have them closed the majority of the time (it's a DD) so I would much rather have them go out the tips in the rear when closed. But props to you for thinking outside the box!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

I leave them open most of the time, though even when they're closed it's not a problem with them dumping under the back of the car. It's less than a foot from the rear fascia and I get no fumes whatsoever. Even wide open it's much quieter than the B & B's for some reason, which makes no sense because the B & B's have resonators. There's also no drone whatsoever at any speed or RPM's. I might have inadvertently stumbled on a solution to the resonance problem. It must be because the mufflers are still there and stopping the resonance. Even when the cutouts are wide open the exhaust it still free to flow to the mufflers and it has a nice effect on the tone. It doesn't have that raspy, crappy sound that you've all heard before. Once I get on it, it's a different story though.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

congrats for some fresh thinking - I also like the fact that the cutouts don't dump all that heat right at the trans like many installs.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty innovative set-up. Most cutouts usually dump the un-muffled sound under the car around the axles where, I would think you'd get alot of resonance. You are sending the "roar" straight out the tailpipes and dumping the muffled stuff down behind the axles...I like it ! I never would consider cutouts 'cause they all seemed a bit raw, your install is nicely thought out and cleanly put together.

Last edited by had2have-it; 07-16-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I like your ingenuity,and your result. My only reservation is legality. Cut outs,at least in Ca.(not sure about other states), are illegal and they are there for all to see.

Other than that,very nice indeed!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flynbya2
I like your ingenuity,and your result. My only reservation is legality. Cut outs,at least in Ca.(not sure about other states), are illegal and they are there for all to see.

Other than that,very nice indeed!
I live in RI and I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe they are illegal per se. What is illegal here, and most other states, is loud exhaust. Let's put it this way, when I had B & B's I was always illegal. Now I'm only illegal when the cutouts are open and I have a choice. Besides they're really not that noticeable and I really don't think most cops even know what they are. If I get pulled over because they see the cutouts, I'll just cover them up with a dress up plate.

That's probably the least of my problems as far as getting pulled over. Do you really think a torch red Corvette, lowered, with a cowl hood and black stripes is really under the radar?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Rhode Warrior
I live in RI and I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe they are illegal per se. What is illegal here, and most other states, is loud exhaust. Let's put it this way, when I had B & B's I was always illegal. Now I'm only illegal when the cutouts are open and I have a choice. Besides they're really not that noticeable and I really don't think most cops even know what they are. If I get pulled over because they see the cutouts, I'll just cover them up with a dress up plate.

That's probably the least of my problems as far as getting pulled over. Do you really think a torch red Corvette, lowered, with a cowl hood and black stripes is really under the radar?
Someone in the past displayed the vehicle code here where it indicates illegality.I don't remember the actual wording,but it described cut outs perfectly. Many of these leos are smarter than one might think too.Legal in your state,I don't know. But that is why I posted it,so you and others would be aware and maybe look into it if you want. This could also be part of the answer to why most install under the car,so they are not visually seen.

For me,I wouldn't want to give any leo yet another option to pull me over every time he feels the urge.But I have to admit,I never ran a front plate either. After seeing all your hard work,and the fact it is what it is now and not as easily reversible,I would camoflauge it.

You can certainly do whatever you like,and as I stated earlier,I really like what you have done! I think the exhaust plate idea is a good one too. I was kinda thinking of two more dummy pipes as another option as well.

Don't get me wrong,I am not harrassing you. I just thought it was good to know.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Someone in the past displayed the vehicle code here where it indicates illegality.I don't remember the actual wording,but it described cut outs perfectly. Many of these leos are smarter than one might think too.Legal in your state,I don't know. But that is why I posted it,so you and others would be aware and maybe look into it if you want. This could also be part of the answer to why most install under the car,so they are not visually seen.

For me,I wouldn't want to give any leo yet another option to pull me over every time he feels the urge.But I have to admit,I never ran a front plate either. After seeing all your hard work,and the fact it is what it is now and not as easily reversible,I would camoflauge it.

You can certainly do whatever you like,and as I stated earlier,I really like what you have done! I think the exhaust plate idea is a good one too. I was kinda thinking of two more dummy pipes as another option as well.

Don't get me wrong,I am not harrassing you. I just thought it was good to know.
I don't think you're harassing me, I appreciate the feedback and comments.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I don't think you're harassing me, I appreciate the feedback and comments.
Good,I just wanted to get that straight...
Old 07-16-2011, 01:43 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

This is really a great mod! After my last post,I got to thinking(always trouble)

For those wanting to do something along these lines to their car,and don't mind the quad exhaust,I have a suggestion that I think is doable but might be a little tight.

Move the cutout exhaust dump location inward a bit toward each other as in the center two of a quad exhaust. Then combine the two stock exhaust outlets into a single on each side and dump in the location of the outer two of a quad exhaust.

Result: A somewhat stock looking (or aftermarket) quad exhaust system that functions both as open an closed cutouts,that is also camoflauged yet easily accessable.

Of course if you prefer the dual look,this is not an option.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

This is really a great mod! After my last post,I got to thinking(always trouble)

For those wanting to do something along these lines to their car,and don't mind the quad exhaust,I have a suggestion that I think is doable but might be a little tight.

Move the cutout exhaust dump location inward a bit toward each other as in the center two of a quad exhaust. Then combine the two stock exhaust outlets into a single on each side and dump in the location of the outer two of a quad exhaust.

Result: A somewhat stock looking (or aftermarket) quad exhaust system that functions both as open an closed cutouts,that is also camoflauged yet easily accessable.

Of course if you prefer the dual look,this is not an option.
I thought about that too I liked the quads also. I guess it would be possible if you turned the cutouts so the motors are on the outside but I'm not 100% sure. It's a lot tighter than it looks in the pictures.

I thought about that at the time and tried multiple configurations. To make it work you would also need very short tips. It could probably be done if you really wanted to. Also I didn't want the exhaust from the mufflers blowing on the motors and the wiring was much easier. I like the result. I should take a picture of the car on the ground. It just looks like dual exhaust as a glance.

Last edited by Rhode Warrior; 07-16-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To QTP cutouts C5 installation (pictures)

Old 07-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice job you did on the install. Certainly a different approach to putting cutouts on the car.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I thought about that too I liked the quads also. I guess it would be possible if you turned the cutouts so the motors are on the outside but I'm not 100% sure. It's a lot tighter than it looks in the pictures.

I thought about that at the time and tried multiple configurations. To make it work you would also need very short tips. It could probably be done if you really wanted to. Also I didn't want the exhaust from the mufflers blowing on the motors and the wiring was much easier. I like the result. I should take a picture of the car on the ground. It just looks like dual exhaust as a glance.
Ya,it's always easier for an armchair quarterback. BTW,you did a fantasic job on the alignment of the tips. That had to be one of the most difficult parts and makes or breaks the job. Even professionals have difficulty with premade aftermarket systems at times...
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Nice job you did on the install. Certainly a different approach to putting cutouts on the car.
Like how you did it

Quick Reply: QTP cutouts C5 installation (pictures)