Opinion of over stated enthusiasum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by bladex10
Who gives a ****? Its just a word. If a word really bothers you that much, log out.
How could anyone with even an 8th grade education could think for one moment that it " REALLY BOTHERS ME"

Out of a simple discussion thread:
Originally Posted by Evil-Twin View Post

This was just suppose to be a discussion on the over use of the word wow.
with a slight caveat on the term " pull the trigger "
Nothing too deep, or earth shaking. Nothing sinister either.

But then this post from bladex10 and its content gives meaning to the caliber of some posters.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
I agree. Current slang usage of words intended for extraordinary situations only dilutes/cheapens our language.

As Sir Winston Churchill noted, "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

But I am sure Sir Wiston would have approved of me saying to you, "Have a nice day, y'all."

The LIzzard
But this is America, the home of the people who make a practice out of bastardizing the English language. If we weren't driving the Brits nuts with our continued destruction of "their" language what else would we do for fun?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
I use the word wow a little more routinely. I guess I place less value on the use of the term. For example, I'd classify this as a wow (no it's not my car).

I would agree, definitely a WOW, but remember......it is female and although all seems like fun and games now, when she decides that you don't meet her needs anymore, she will take your dignity, self respect, belongings, and most of your money with her when she leaves.

DSTURBD
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
How could anyone with even an 8th grade education could think for one moment that it " REALLY BOTHERS ME"

But then this post from bladex10 and its content gives meaning to the caliber of some posters.
Maybe he just missed out on his cup of coffee this morning.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, to Bladex10's point...some of us get even more annoyed with what seems/feels like mindless rant posts from "grammar ****'s", or overly sensitive folks complaining about the use of the English language on an internet corvette forum.

I know this is the "C5 General" section...but I for one prefer it to stay focused on general topics about C5's (not rants over the use of words).

"General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech"
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Well unless i'm blind or i'm just plain losing it, Last time i checked this is a C5 General Discussion forum. What does a discussion of the use of word "wow" have anything to do with the car?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Well, to Bladex10's point...some of us get even more annoyed with what seems/feels like mindless rant posts from "grammar ****'s", or overly sensitive folks complaining about the use of the English language on an internet corvette forum.

I know this is the "C5 General" section...but I for one prefer it to stay focused on general topics about C5's (not rants over the use of words).

So......just because I can, for the most part, speak and write in an intelligent and accurate manner, I am a ****, grammar or otherwise?!?!?!?!?!?

DSTURBD
Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, Today I put some air in my left front tire as it was low!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I just increased my post count.......
Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
Hey guys, Today I put some air in my left front tire as it was low!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

All I said was the word Wow to describe a mediocre change, make the word wow less than effective. The discussion was suppose to be about whether or not others felt the same way. I could care less what word anyone uses. To me, someone using the word WOW for a mediocre change, makes their input and credibility questionable.

Ive had a few PM over this very issue recently where some members use sickening sweet sugar coating on every comment they make in every thread. The two people that pmed me said those people who do that, make this forum less than credible because their sugar coating leaves honesty in the dust. I have to agree, when someone says some "God awful mod" looks good, the OP looses. IN a thread about someone's paint job who wanted our opinion.. most of us said tactfully that they we didn't like it, this is great...honesty...
there were a few who were sickening sweet with their opinion. but the same few members are that way about every comment they make in any thread. So if being nice and only saying nice things is what they do, doesn't that do the OP a dis service?

I remember once I told one of my wife's girlfriends who asked me what I though about her new Hair style ( which, incidentally was not just bad, it was horrible ) and I told her in less than a tactful way( many years ago ) ( yes I was bad ) After my wife beat the hell out of me, I told her... If I said I liked it, and her girlfriend told others that " I " liked it.. what would those people think of my taste? Same thing here
If someone asks for my opinion.. they should be prepared for anything. But they should expect honesty as well. with me they will get it. I've had hundreds of people over the years pm me about being honest. I would expect honesty if I asked for opinion.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:32 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
So......just because I can, for the most part, speak and write in an intelligent and accurate manner, I am a ****, grammar or otherwise?!?!?!?!?!?

DSTURBD

Huh?

No...perhaps you noticed my comments weren't even aimed at you?

You have a proclaimed grasp of the English language (and the proper use of grammar), but you can't tell when someone isn't even talking to you?

Its not about you brotha.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I want the love taco taco exhaust, or whatever it's called.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:39 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

All I said was the word Wow to describe a mediocre change, make the word wow less than effective. The discussion was suppose to be about whether or not others felt the same way. I could care less what word anyone uses. To me, someone using the word WOW for a mediocre change, makes their input and credibility questionable.

Ive had a few PM over this very issue recently where some members use sickening sweet sugar coating on every comment they make in every thread. The two people that pmed me said those people who do that, make this forum less than credible because their sugar coating leaves honesty in the dust. I have to agree, when someone says some "God awful mod" looks good, the OP looses. IN a thread about someone's paint job who wanted our opinion.. most of us said tactfully that they we didn't like it, this is great...honesty...
there were a few who were sickening sweet with their opinion. but the same few members are that way about every comment they make in any thread. So if being nice and only saying nice things is what they do, doesn't that do the OP a dis service?

I remember once I told one of my wife's girlfriends who asked me what I though about her new Hair style ( which, incidentally was not just bad, it was horrible ) and I told her in less than a tactful way( many years ago ) ( yes I was bad ) After my wife beat the hell out of me, I told her... If I said I liked it, and her girlfriend told others that " I " liked it.. what would those people think of my taste? Same thing here
If someone asks for my opinion.. they should be prepared for anything. But they should expect honesty as well. with me they will get it. I've had hundreds of people over the years pm me about being honest. I would expect honesty if I asked for opinion.
WOW...you won't quit trying to make your point. You're missing my point though. This is a C5 General section, not a grammar discussion forum.

It's ok though man, carry on if you must. I agree about being honest, while being respectful. I don't sugar coat nor do I expect/want that from others. Just sayin' that it seems your rant is a bit overly sensitive and IMO, unnecessary. This forum is what it is. Some people sugar coat everything to be "nice members" here.

IMO, the OP here "looses".

Last edited by MotoJB; 05-04-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Listen to Chef Ramsey for one episode (in any of his shows), and count how many times he says it...
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by bladex10
Well unless i'm blind or i'm just plain losing it, Last time i checked this is a C5 General Discussion forum. What does a discussion of the use of word "wow" have anything to do with the car?
I'm not getting why it even matters. Nobody is forced to read any thread here.

And frankly, considering everything ET has done for the C5 world and members of this forum over the course of his career and subsequent retirement, it shouldn't matter if he wanted to discuss goat cheeze pizza or debate whether or not the "God" particle really exists.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

No...perhaps you noticed my comments weren't even aimed at you?

You have a proclaimed grasp of the English language (and the proper use of grammar), but you can't tell when someone isn't even talking to you?
In all fairness, you did use the plural form of "grammar *****" and "overly sensitive folks," which would indicate that your post was directed at anyone who might have made such a comment in the past.

Just sayin'...

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion of over stated enthusiasum.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

WOW...you won't quit trying to make your point. You're missing my point though. This is a C5 General section, not a grammar discussion forum.

It's ok though man, carry on if you must. I agree about being honest, while being respectful. I don't sugar coat nor do I expect/want that from others. Just sayin' that it seems your rant is a bit overly sensitive and IMO, unnecessary. This forum is what it is. Some people sugar coat everything to be "nice members" here.

IMO, the OP here "looses".
Has the fact that this thread is not supposed to be taken seriously just passed you by? ET even pointed out this very fact in an earlier post.

I think you're taking this way too seriously. I prescribe a minimum of an hour's drive in the country in your Vette. Repeat as needed.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
In all fairness, you did use the plural form of "grammar *****" and "overly sensitive folks," which would indicate that your post was directed at anyone who might have made such a comment in the past.

Just sayin'...
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the support!!

DSTURBD
Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'm not getting why it even matters. Nobody is forced to read any thread here.

And frankly, considering everything ET has done for the C5 world and members of this forum over the course of his career and subsequent retirement, it shouldn't matter if he wanted to discuss goat cheeze pizza or debate whether or not the "God" particle really exists.
Totally and completely!!!!! You ROCK ET!!

We love your input!!!

DSTURBD

Quick Reply: Opinion of over stated enthusiasum.