[Z06] C5 z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default C5 z06

Hey guys,
I'm in the process of picking up my first Corvette! I have a few questions, and a few issues for which I need some advice. I have been a forum member for a few years now, and loved seeing how the forum members really help each other out.

I came across a thread entitled "Looking Out 4 Each Other." http://forums.corvetteforum.com/tran...solidated.html

I'm in NJ and have a deposit a car in San Diego, contingent upon an inspection. I contacted the 4 forum members that live in the area, that volunteered on that thread. However, I have only received one response, and that guy lives in GA

I have read a bunch of threads about how to inspect the C5 and certain problematic areas. I have gotten lots of pics and videos from the seller, and so far am LOVING what I am seeing. However I would really like to get a set of trustworthy, skilled eyes on the vehicle. Is there any one that would be willing and able to help me out? I also need to get the car shipped once everything checks out. Once again, I've been doing a ton of research and have gotten about 2 dozen quotes. Any recommendations? This may not be the proper area in which to post this thread, but I figured I would start here due to the knowledge based that frequents the C5 Z06 forum. If anyone is willing to help, please pm me your phone number. Otherwise, any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

That's a tough proposition being on the east coast and buying on the west coast. Without get a CF member to check it out for an unbiased opinion, maybe check out the Chevy dealers in the area in SD and call to see if any have Corvette experienced mechanics. It may cost you a few bucks, but they can put it on a lift and know what to look for and hopefully give you an unbiased opinion.

As far as shipping goes, if everything checked out, I would buy a one-way ticket to SD and drive it back to NJ. Gives you a chance to get to know the car and it would be a fun trip...hit the sights, Route 66, etc.

If not, I've used Reliable Transportation (enclosed transport, not sure if they have open, which is cheaper, but leaves it exposed to the elements and if the leaves the windows cracked (which they sometimes do), possibly water inside from rain) and they were great.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I would try NCCC or NCRS website and ask their members for volunteers to do an inspection. They are usually very helpful.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Mig233
Racer

Thanks...both good ideas. I wouldn't mind the drive if it wasn't so far. But putting 3,000 miles on the car in a matter of a week is tough to swallow. Mostly because they will not be fun miles. They will be monotonous "just trying to get home" miles.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 PM
tacman
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13
Default First Corvette

Originally Posted by Mig233
Thanks...both good ideas. I wouldn't mind the drive if it wasn't so far. But putting 3,000 miles on the car in a matter of a week is tough to swallow. Mostly because they will not be fun miles. They will be monotonous "just trying to get home" miles.
My wife and picked up our first C5 Z06 in Phoenix and drove it back to Chicago following old Route 66. Three full days of driving and never a dull moment - especially since I was driving my dream car.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ALL miles in a Z 06 are fun miles!!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Why don't you pay someone that is there locally that does it for a living? When I got mine done it was around 150. If you know what you want him to check out then send him a list.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM
pcbunn
Pro

There must be a Corvette club in San Diego area. Find their web site and see if you can get a club member to check the car out for you.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

If you don't already know, the Z is a very capable road tripper. (Unless this car is heavily modded). And 3k on the clock is nothing, three days, six tanks of fuel.

PS, buy a round trip ticket. It's less expensive, less hassle with TSA, and if the car is not what it was represented, your not hitch hiking home.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts

Man up! Road trips kick ***. Sleeping in your Corvette, however, does not kick ***. Learned that one the hard way when I was driving mine home after picking it up. Just floor it the whole time. All the extra gas stops should help with the monotony.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Bought mine out of CA it had 9k on it. Had Carfax, many many pics, video and GM service and warranty history info. Had it shipped and have been driving it ever since.

These cars are awesome. I find myself looking forward to every drive.

Have your seller sign a statement documenting the condition and lack of damage....this way you have legal recourse.

VetteFred
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Will deliver your Z if U fly me and wife to SD via VPS and return flight from NJ.

As long as it does not involve United Airlines or Houston's Geo Bush Airport

Had an 03Z before
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Mig233
Racer

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Will deliver your Z if U fly me and wife to SD via VPS and return flight from NJ.

As long as it does not involve United Airlines or Houston's Geo Bush Airport

Had an 03Z before
Thanks for the offer, but if I wanted it driven, I would drive it back. But, I'm sorry to report that after I spent the whole week comparing shipping prices and waiting for the seller to send me specific pictures, he sold it ...Oh well, on to the next one.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Ive flown and road tripped 2 z06s back, seen with only pictures and a video with one. Tell the seller what your plans would be and see what he thinks about its road worthiness.

First was an 03 and drove from Sacramento to Mpls, second was an 01 from Chicago to Mpls. Both trips were a blast!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 z06