Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
jranaudo
CF Senior Member

Default Thinking about C5 but....EBCM concerns

Currently driving a Mach 1 mustang but looking for a better track car. I do HPDE 3-4x per year. It seems it pretty common that the EBCM is a eventual problem. As I understand you can only get replacements for 2001 and higher from what I see here. I am sure they will discontinue later years as well.

I am wondering is it worth it to buy a C5?

I recently looked at a very nice 2000 and was going to pick it up this weekend but now am scared off. My mustang is pretty bulletproof.

Opinions welcome.....rather required cause I have vette fever!!
jranaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Vega$Vette
CF Senior Member

Stangs are nice. I really like the Mach 1.

Do not worry about the ECBMs. Rarely a problem and replacements are not and will not be hard to find v
Vega$Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Ghost Vette
CF Senior Member

I guess I understand your concerns, but whats to say something will never happen to any car you own. You have to enjoy life and if a corvette helps, then go for it and don't anticipate problems that might never happen. If a real concern, go with a 2001 or later model. Oh yea, you can still find parts with out too much problem. Just may cost a little more for the discontinued ones.
Ghost Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
DooDooBear1999
CF Senior Member

It's not the end of the world if it goes out. Who knows, maybe someone will find a way to repair them or a major parts vendor will see the need and begin production (not really going to hold my breath). Either way, ABS and TCS are overrated. People got along just fine without them for many, many years. If mine ever decides to **** the bed, I'm just going to re-plumb the brakes, ditch the module, and if possible, have the codes tuned out.

Last edited by DooDooBear1999; 04-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.
DooDooBear1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
f6john
CF Senior Member

Keep your Mustang and your sanity. We Corvette owners obsess over everything and if your worried before you even own one you would probably have to start therapy soon after your purchase, especially if warnings started popping up on your DIC.

99 FRC, no issues in 2 years of ownership.
f6john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Phanni
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Phanni

Since you plan on tracking the car, it's likely you wouldn't be using the TC or active handling anyway.
Phanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
jranaudo
CF Senior Member

I could stick with the mustang but handling is not good. I could upgrade but it would cost a bunch. or I can just upgrade to a better platform like the vette.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
waddisme
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to waddisme

The EBCM is $150 lifetime fix from absfixer so I would not let that stop me. For tracking, you will never regret the vette. I do the SVT/Cobra track day at VIR once a year. They have tons of cool stuff going on for the Mustangs, but they let other types of cars do the track day parts. You can hurt a lot of KB 700rwhp owners feelings on a road course.
waddisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
bj1k
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jranaudo View Post
Currently driving a Mach 1 mustang but looking for a better track car. I do HPDE 3-4x per year. It seems it pretty common that the EBCM is a eventual problem. As I understand you can only get replacements for 2001 and higher from what I see here. I am sure they will discontinue later years as well.

I am wondering is it worth it to buy a C5?

I recently looked at a very nice 2000 and was going to pick it up this weekend but now am scared off. My mustang is pretty bulletproof.

Opinions welcome.....rather required cause I have vette fever!!
The EBCM's are available for the 2001 and up and they are also repairable at a reasonable cost. Although you may never have a problem with the 2000 and older , try to find a 2001 or newer and not worry about it.
bj1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Mr.Bill
We Miss You Frank...
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddisme View Post
The EBCM is $150 lifetime fix from absfixer so I would not let that stop me. For tracking, you will never regret the vette. I do the SVT/Cobra track day at VIR once a year. They have tons of cool stuff going on for the Mustangs, but they let other types of cars do the track day parts. You can hurt a lot of KB 700rwhp owners feelings on a road course.
He doesn't repair 97-2000 units.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
DooDooBear1999
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddisme View Post
Not everything can be fixed. 2000 and older cars are SOL right now and ABSFixer can't fix certain codes on 2001+ cars if I remember correctly. Could be wrong though.
DooDooBear1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

If you are specifically worried about the EBCM, the solution is to get an '01 or newer C5 as they can currently be repaired. But not every car has problems and the C5 is really a pretty reliable platform and would do well for what you have planned. There are a lot of good deals out there, especially on the earlier C5s so don't let the EBCM issue deter you from a purchase if you find a really nice car.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
Cybermind
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Vettefreak66

EBCM failures are in no way strictly a Corvette C5 problem. These modules can and probably will eventually fail on all models of cars. Please keep in mind that the manufacturers of these modules make them for a multitude of vehicles. So, if you want to be sure that you never have an EBCM failure, then try to buy a car with no ABS/ Traction Control. While you're at it, get one without fuel injection, electronic ignition, etc. ECU's are also known to eventually fail.

PS: Guess what? I have a 2010 Mustang as my DD and my EBCM failed when I reached 10K miles. Luckily it was a warrantied item but I know for a fact it will fail again.
Cybermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
racebum
CF Senior Member

racebum

buy an 01+ it's not just the ebcm. things like the climate control are also unavailable for the early cars. while it's true you can junkyard source a lot of this stuff there were a number of improvements in 2001, one of which was an improved stability system. it's not just the ebcm. whole system was modernized and improved

book price between 2000 and 2001 is literally a few hundred dollars. isn't even worth it unless you find a REALLY nice early car someone will sell you at clean trade
racebum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Ohyoufan
CF Senior Member

Buy any model that you like and is in good shape from 97-04. The 01+ hype with MOST people (not all) is all bandwagon, they're both almost identical cars. I have a 99 FRC with 100,000 miles on it and it hasn't had any module fail yet (knock on wood) or really anything else to be honest. My 2000 ws6 ran and operated just fine too. The ls6 intake is really the main difference between the two. I'm not here to start a 97-00 vs. 01-04 war, but the way problems are worded for the 97-00 cars makes them sound like piles that are just waiting to constantly break.
Ohyoufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
CQRT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Rolland Trayte
Send a message via AIM to CQRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
If you are specifically worried about the EBCM, the solution is to get an '01 or newer C5 as they can currently be repaired. But not every car has problems and the C5 is really a pretty reliable platform and would do well for what you have planned. There are a lot of good deals out there, especially on the earlier C5s so don't let the EBCM issue deter you from a purchase if you find a really nice car.

GO for it - - this weekend . . .NOW !

Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
jranaudo
CF Senior Member

CQRT

you are not helping!!! lol

Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
MG RED 99
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jranaudo View Post
CQRT

you are not helping!!! lol

Yes he is, now get out there and find your new car
MG RED 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
bj1k
CF Senior Member

Don't listen to these guys that tell you to buy a 2000 or earlier . They will be doing this when you have problems and won't be offering any help or money . The earlier models may look the same but if you have a choice it's just smart to stay away from them.
bj1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Brackneyc
CF Senior Member

I have never given the EBCM a second thought in my 98, not even once.
Brackneyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Thinking about C5 but....EBCM concerns