C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about C5 but....EBCM concerns

Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

2001-2004 are repairable and its pretty cheap..the early ones 97-00 few members are working on fixes for them with a few of them being fixed...so its a work in progress but I would not let the EBCM issue drive me away from buying an early C5 to be honest
Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Don't listen to these guys that tell you to buy a 2000 or earlier . They will be doing this when you have problems and won't be offering any help or money . The earlier models may look the same but if you have a choice it's just smart to stay away from them.
You sure do get off on down talking people don't you? I never told him to buy a 2000 or earlier, I just said if you find one nice enough that's been taken care of don't be scared to do it. You really need to grow up man, you pull this crap in every thread you post in.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
cuda75
Intermediate

Coming from an 04 Mach 1 to a 04 C5 I can tell you the C5 is light years ahead of the Mach 1. Had most of the common bolt ons on the Mach including 4:10 gears and my base C5 bone stock still felt like much more of a beast than the Mach did. Not ripping on the Machs, they are very nice cars, but they just don't compare to the level of performance of a C5. I wouldn't let the EBCM problem bug you. Plenty of support here on the forums If you make the switch you won't be disapointed.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
corvette77
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easy Fix

Don't let the EBCM worry you. Mine "went out" (2003 model) two weeks ago, and I fixed it myself for FREE

What happens is there are 5 joints that come unsoldiered. It is a piece of cake to fix. There is a thread on it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Well in my Opinion all 2001 and newer C5's are just POS's and my reasoning for this is that I own a 98....Now IF i owned a 2001 I would have to say that all 97 to 2000 C5's are real POS's! Now go out and buy yourself one of these old POS's and have fun!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Poppa G
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette77
Don't let the EBCM worry you. Mine "went out" (2003 model) two weeks ago, and I fixed it myself for FREE

What happens is there are 5 joints that come unsoldiered. It is a piece of cake to fix. There is a thread on it.
He's spot on. I bought my 02 and it had a bunch of issues. One by one I did some reading on this forum, contacted a few members and made all the repairs myself. You will not be disappointed with buying a c5. All the info and support you need is on here.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohyoufan
You sure do get off on down talking people don't you? I never told him to buy a 2000 or earlier, I just said if you find one nice enough that's been taken care of don't be scared to do it. You really need to grow up man, you pull this crap in every thread you post in.
You obviously own a 2000 or earlier. I don't create the facts. They are what they are !
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 PM
SilverBullet95
Racer

I've got a 2000 w/ 90k miles and as far as I know my car has never had any serious ECBM problems, although it does like to randomly act a fool and turn things off every now and then...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

You obviously own a 2000 or earlier. I don't create the facts. They are what they are !
Yep, mines a 1999 FRC, so I guess I'm "lesser" than you because I didn't buy an 01-04 that's been sprinkled with perfection. My point is, people like you turn these facts around to pretty much say 97-00 cars are complete crap and aren't worth buying. Why do you act this way man? The only times I've seen you post you're voicing your opinion in a very "assholish" way like you're intentionally trying to get something to flare up.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:12 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Yep, mines a 1999 FRC, so I guess I'm "lesser" than you because I didn't buy an 01-04 that's been sprinkled with perfection. My point is, people like you turn these facts around to pretty much say 97-00 cars are complete crap and aren't worth buying. Why do you act this way man? The only times I've seen you post you're voicing your opinion in a very "assholish" way like you're intentionally trying to get something to flare up.
Wow, chill out. I didn't get that impression at all.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 AM
SilverBullet95
Racer

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
Wow, chill out. I didn't get that impression at all.
I see how it could be taken harshly, although I think he may have overreacted to it. Its hard to tell how rude someone is being by text only, which is why I usually just infer it as a positive statement unless it's just obviously sarcastic or rude
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Nope , just spreading the facts. Some people like to spread BS. Spreading BS belongs on the farm. You are so sensitive , you must be a girl.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Nope , just spreading the facts. Some people like to spread BS. Spreading BS belongs on the farm. You are so sensitive , you must be a girl.
No, your not trying to be a jerk with that Girl comment.

I get the same vibe from your posts. Negative. That is a fact!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SSTG
No, your not trying to be a jerk with that Girl comment.

I get the same vibe from your posts. Negative. That is a fact!
Wow ! Another sensitive thin skinned reader. Some of you guys read into statements what you want to see. I guess you just feel that everbody is picking on you and your car. I never said anything about anybodies personal car unless they ask for opinions . I just state facts about certain groups of cars that you would like to deny. But since you are so sensitive and thin skinned , you take everything personal. And yah, that sounds like a bunch of little girls to me. Just another fact.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Wow ! Another sensitive thin skinned reader. Some of you guys read into statements what you want to see. I guess you just feel that everbody is picking on you and your car. I never said anything about anybodies personal car unless they ask for opinions . I just state facts about certain groups of cars that you would like to deny. But since you are so sensitive and thin skinned , you take everything personal. And yah, that sounds like a bunch of little girls to me. Just another fact.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

It's not "thinned skinned", you comment on every thread about this subject like it's a fact it will happen if you own a 97'-99'. Fact is, it won't.

It's just as likely it could happen to your 01' as fast as it could to an 97'-00'. And not all EBCM's are repairable on 01'-04's either for that matter.

The facts are that ALL cars have issues, period.

OP, you should not let any year dis sway you. If you like the car, buy it. I've owned 2 C5Z's, 1 C5 Vert and 1 C6Z. ALL of them have been perfect with no issues.

P.S. There seems to be a fix for the 97-00 EBCM's now also.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-letter-m.html
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just for pure facts the 01-04 can be fixed the 97-00 cant just that easy if I would have knowen that this was a issue when I bough mine I would have not bought it but to late I already bought mine it is a 00 and damn happy I did I will cross that bridge when it comes.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about C5 but....EBCM concerns

Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BOUT X
Just for pure facts the 01-04 can be fixed the 97-00 cant just that easy if I would have knowen that this was a issue when I bough mine I would have not bought it but to late I already bought mine it is a 00 and damn happy I did I will cross that bridge when it comes.
That's not fact. They (01'-04') are NOT all repairable. Replaceable (with new)at this point, yes.
97'-00' Do Not have new replacements available, but you can buy them used and there are company's repairing them. As I stated and provided a link to in my last post.

If I were just to read this forum, I would never buy a used Corvette! The Forum is VERY helpful but man, some members get a hard on about some issues and they think their word is Biblical on it.

Hopefully, most people are better educated and get ALL the facts before they make any decision on purchasing a used Vehicle.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

For your reading pleasure...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...bcm+repairable

Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SSTG
That's not fact. They (01'-04') are NOT all repairable. Replaceable (with new)at this point, yes.
97'-00' Do Not have new replacements available, but you can buy them used and there are company's repairing them. As I stated and provided a link to in my last post.

If I were just to read this forum, I would never buy a used Corvette! The Forum is VERY helpful but man, some members get a hard on about some issues and they think their word is Biblical on it.

Hopefully, most people are better educated and get ALL the facts before they make any decision on purchasing a used Vehicle.
Now you are telling people to get all of the facts ? ? Isn't that what I have been saying repeatedly but you don't seem to hear. If they get all of the facts though , then they might not want the early models and thats what you are so afraid of. What is so ironic about this whole conversation is that I like all C5's 97 through 2004 , they are all practically the same cars but new people ask for the facts to decide what is in their best interest when they decide to buy. Are we supposed to give them false information just so we don't hurt someones feelings ? Is that what this forum is all about or is it to help someone with the same interests ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about C5 but....EBCM concerns