Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC belt squeak maybe from coolant getting on it?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC belt squeak maybe from coolant getting on it?

I just swapped to an LS6 intake on my 2000 C5 and 1st forgot to put one of the little gaskets under the new crossover tube so I had a bunch of water pouring out at idle. Since I didn't go anywhere no biggie. Well when I put the new one in I forgot to re tighten the hose from the radiator to the crossover. Drove about 5 miles and pulled over for something else, noticed the steam, found the problem and sealed it up.

Here's where the prob starts. When I pulled away I noticed a belt squeal sound. It went away after about 10 min. Drove a total of about 15 miles to work and parked it. Went to wash it on my lunch break and the squeal was back. After removing the main drive belt and the squeal persisting I realized it may be the a/c belt. I turned the a/c on and off and it got better/worse but didn't go away. Put belt dressing on it and it went away at idle but not above.

Could coolant getting on the belt have caused this? Think I will def. need a new a/c belt?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 220 Likes on 153 Posts

IMHO it is more likely to be the crappy belt tensioners gm put in these cars
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna cut the AC belt and see what's up. If I take it off to check I'm gonna replace all those belts and pulleys anyway. I'm thinking your right tho cause belt dressing did almost nothing

Last edited by rielcrazy; 04-25-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

coolant leak on the belt will indeed cause issues. if you are smelling antifreeze, that's the first indication. Its also an indicator that your water pump is on the way out.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

That is where mine was leaking; the water pump gasket. Didn't realize it till after i replaced both belts, still squeaked. Replaced tensioners and pulleys, still squeaked. Finally picked up a brand new pump and no more squeak! Replaced all coolant hoses and rad while i was in there...
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Coolant on the AC belt will definitely cause this. Make sure you clean the pulley grooves when you replace the belt as well.

Get notified of new replies

To AC belt squeak maybe from coolant getting on it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC belt squeak maybe from coolant getting on it?