Sponsored by:

LG Street Header install help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default LG Street Header install help

I have the headers in place, and loosely held in place by the header bolts. I went under the car to get the bellhousing bolts in place. I have two issues;

1). the headers don't line up so I can't install the bellhousing bolts even with the headers loosly in place. They just don't seem to move/flex enough to get them in place.

2). I then though the headers might be warped (brand new LG Streets) so I tightened the header bolts a little more to see if they would sit flush against the block and they do. The problem is all the bolts go in just fine, but the rear 2 on the drives side will not tighten further then hand tight. Seems like they were cross threaded so I tried again and again with the same results.

Help!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could help but I haven't installed mine yet. If you do a search, maybe in the tech section, there will be a plethora of information. Hopefully, you'll find something that will help. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a quick search and came up with this. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-install.html
There is a lot more. Hope it helps.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same problem on the driver's side. Wanted to run a tap through them but couldn't make it fit without removing the headers. I sprayed a lot of lubricant and slowly tightened the bolt. Still not convinced it was actually cross threaded but if I was to do it again I would definitely remove the header and retap them.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed mine a few months ago and love them. It is worth the work. The bell housing bolts, are you talking about the tabs? If so there should be a 6" bracket that bolts to the bell housing and the tabs on the headers. If you can't find it don't worry because it's only used to help you line up the headers, you unbolt it after you have bolted the rest of the system together. Not sure what to tell you about your exhaust bolts.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by maxx2200
I did a quick search and came up with this. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-install.html
There is a lot more. Hope it helps.
^Awesome!!!! I ran out and under the car and that bracket was what I was looking for. It works great. I just wish LG would have put the instructions for their street series headers instead using the Pros instructions. They are actually a little different.

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Had the same problem on the driver's side. Wanted to run a tap through them but couldn't make it fit without removing the headers. I sprayed a lot of lubricant and slowly tightened the bolt. Still not convinced it was actually cross threaded but if I was to do it again I would definitely remove the header and retap them.
^ Thanks, I will try tomorrow after work, to lub the hell out of it. I may even take a q-tip and try cleaning any debris out of there and see what I can do.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slvr bulit
I installed mine a few months ago and love them. It is worth the work. The bell housing bolts, are you talking about the tabs? If so there should be a 6" bracket that bolts to the bell housing and the tabs on the headers. If you can't find it don't worry because it's only used to help you line up the headers, you unbolt it after you have bolted the rest of the system together. Not sure what to tell you about your exhaust bolts.
Yes I was referring to the tabs on the headers which connect to the bellhousing under the car. I didn't see the small bracket taped to the bottom of the box.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 PM
crazystevex
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I too had the same issue with the rear header bolt on the driver side...wierd, i though i stripped it out too. I just tightened it up as much as i could and left it there. its still in 4 years later and no leak....
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I wonder why it would be, but when I installed my headers I had the same problem with the same bolt. Thought I stripped the hole but couldn't see how that could have happened since I had no problem with any of the other bolts. Went to Sears and got a thread chaser. The bolt went right in after that. They've been in several years now with no problems except for some scrapes and dents from my car being lowered. I also didn't know and left that bracket in for a long time before I found out I was supposed to remove it after the install. It's a good thing I saved it though, because I had to loosen the headers when I replaced my clutch. I had my car on a lift where my friend is a tech and he notices that my right side header is hanging lower than the left so I reinstalled the bracket to re-align them and then removed it again. No other problems.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Street Header install help

Quick Reply: LG Street Header install help