Help - Can't downshift from 6th to 5th

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Help - Can't downshift from 6th to 5th

Just started happening yesterday while out for a long drive. Tried to downshift from 6th to 5th and it won't go in gear. I can downshift from 6th to 4th to 3rd etc, and I can upshift from 1st through all gears to 6th. Just can't get it in gear downshifting from 6th to 5th. I had to downshift from 6th to 4th and back up to 5th.

Any clues???????????
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

Are you getting any grinding when you attempt 5th gear? (during up shift or down shift)

If yes, I'd check to make sure your reverse solenoid is functioning properly. If it isn't, the reason you could be having trouble is you're missing the 5th gear gate and hitting reverse.

A shifter alignment would be another thing to perform. No cost and can't hurt.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
Are you getting any grinding when you attempt 5th gear? (during up shift or down shift)

If yes, I'd check to make sure your reverse solenoid is functioning properly. If it isn't, the reason you could be having trouble is you're missing the 5th gear gate and hitting reverse.

A shifter alignment would be another thing to perform. No cost and can't hurt.
No grinding. Just won't go into 5th when downshifting from 6th.

I have an apt. tomorrow and will have the solenoid and shifter alignment checked.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 AM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcandel
No grinding. Just won't go into 5th when downshifting from 6th.

I have an apt. tomorrow and will have the solenoid and shifter alignment checked.

Thanks.
Hi,
I'm having the same problem with my C5. I can't downshift from 6th to 5th, but if I skip 5th and go right down to 4th, then I can upshift into 5th.
Did you end up solving the issue on your car?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 AM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 5.3Avalanche
Hi,
I'm having the same problem with my C5. I can't downshift from 6th to 5th, but if I skip 5th and go right down to 4th, then I can upshift into 5th.
Did you end up solving the issue on your car?
I decided not to have it checked out but try to live with it rather than spend a bunch of money. I started double "clutching" from 6th to 5th and it seemed to work some of the time, but not all the time.

Then about a month ago, whatever the problem was, worked it self out. Now I have no trouble shifting down from 6th to 5th. I don't know why, but it's OK now!!!!!!!!

If you have yours checked out, let me know what you find.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcandel
I decided not to have it checked out but try to live with it rather than spend a bunch of money. I started double "clutching" from 6th to 5th and it seemed to work some of the time, but not all the time.

Then about a month ago, whatever the problem was, worked it self out. Now I have no trouble shifting down from 6th to 5th. I don't know why, but it's OK now!!!!!!!!

If you have yours checked out, let me know what you find.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try putting in new transmission fluid and then doing a shifter alignment and see if that fixes the issue. I'll report back if that does it.
Did you change your fluid at all before the issue went away?

I also tried double-clutching but it didnt' seem to do anything for mine.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try putting in new transmission fluid and then doing a shifter alignment and see if that fixes the issue. I'll report back if that does it.
Did you change your fluid at all before the issue went away?

I also tried double-clutching but it didnt' seem to do anything for mine.
I just spent this weekend changing my transmission fluid and then I performed a shifter alignment. Although shifting from 1st through 6th has gotten smoother, I still can't downshift from 6th to 5th. When the transmission is cold, I can't downshift from 6th to 5th at all, but once it's warmed up, I can blip the throttle while 6th is still engaged and then downshift into 5th and it lets me. It's so bizzare. Has anyone else had this problem? Before I drop the tranny myself to crack it open I'd like to know if there's a less time consuming fix.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 AM
Ticket Magnet
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on your C5?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 AM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ticket Magnet
How many miles on your C5?
85k miles on my car. Everything else seems perfect. It's odd because there are numerous guys on this forum that have had the issue 12-15 years ago when their cars were new, but I've never seen a resolution to it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I'm going to check my car. I never realized it has a 5th and 6th gear.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 AM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

I just spent this weekend changing my transmission fluid and then I performed a shifter alignment. Although shifting from 1st through 6th has gotten smoother, I still can't downshift from 6th to 5th. When the transmission is cold, I can't downshift from 6th to 5th at all, but once it's warmed up, I can blip the throttle while 6th is still engaged and then downshift into 5th and it lets me. It's so bizzare. Has anyone else had this problem? Before I drop the tranny myself to crack it open I'd like to know if there's a less time consuming fix.
As I mentioned in my 7/28/13 reply, it just "worked itself out". I didn't do anything to it. Works fine now. I did have the transmission oil and differential fluid changed last week when I had the car in for an oil change (83,000 miles).

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Can't downshift from 6th to 5th

Quick Reply: Help - Can't downshift from 6th to 5th