Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight will not come up when turned on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM
cadman96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight will not come up when turned on.

Well, This is the passenger side headlight in which I replaced the stripped out nylon gear with a brass one last year. It worked fine all through the summer and fall and after getting it out of the garage this year, the headlamp comes on, just no pop-up. If I try to do it manually with the **** on the motor, nothing happens as well. Is this another stripped gear? Any help appreciated. Any known links? The drivers side works as it is suppose to.

Mike.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Whoa! You can't move it manually at all?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:07 PM
cadman96
Intermediate

Nope, I cannot move the entire assy. I did see the problem though. The side of the brass gear housing was pushed out and broken off and the rubber busing that goes inside the gear looks to be all torn up and has forced the gear out towards the cover which caused it to break the epoxy and pop off. Now the real problem is how to get the motor out. I realize I can't do anything as long as the light is down and the likage is connected to the motor shaft. I can't see a way to move anything or take anything off at this time. I can only get the painted t op cover off partially because I cannot get too all of the screws holding it on.
What a mess. How did this light work for 2-3 months and then blow up like this?
Any suggestion appreciated.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman96
Nope, I cannot move the entire assy. I did see the problem though. The side of the brass gear housing was pushed out and broken off and the rubber busing that goes inside the gear looks to be all torn up and has forced the gear out towards the cover which caused it to break the epoxy and pop off. Now the real problem is how to get the motor out. I realize I can't do anything as long as the light is down and the likage is connected to the motor shaft. I can't see a way to move anything or take anything off at this time. I can only get the painted t op cover off partially because I cannot get too all of the screws holding it on.
What a mess. How did this light work for 2-3 months and then blow up like this?
Any suggestion appreciated.

Had to run out to the shop to verify but two things you can try;
* If you can get your fingers under the front of the lip you might be able to lift and turn the manual **** at the same time. I'm not real optimistic about this but it worth a try. Jiggling and moving it while trying to turn the gear may free it up enough to get to the lid screws...
* Or since the assembly is in the down position if you grab a flashlight and stand behind the motor and shine the light straight forward over the motor and under the lid you will see your hinge pin and keeper washer. A long set of needle nose to remove the washer and something to push the pin outboard enough to release the actuator arm. This should enable you to get the lid off and then the assembly.

GL
Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by mtndv8
Had to run out to the shop to verify but two things you can try;
* If you can get your fingers under the front of the lip you might be able to lift and turn the manual **** at the same time. I'm not real optimistic about this but it worth a try. Jiggling and moving it while trying to turn the gear may free it up enough to get to the lid screws...
* Or since the assembly is in the down position if you grab a flashlight and stand behind the motor and shine the light straight forward over the motor and under the lid you will see your hinge pin and keeper washer. A long set of needle nose to remove the washer and something to push the pin outboard enough to release the actuator arm. This should enable you to get the lid off and then the assembly.

GL
Both great suggestions. If there were a way to get it open enough to remove the top cover that might help too. You might access a side screw once the hood is up.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
cadman96
Intermediate

I saw the pin on the cover and was able to pry it off with a screwdriver. After that it was a piece of cake. I think the housing broke at the epoxy bond and that allowed the gear to slide out away from the motor worm gear. All is fine, I just need the rubber bumper. it was destroyed. Dopes anyone sell those separately?

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight will not come up when turned on.

Quick Reply: Headlight will not come up when turned on.