Sponsored by:

Teenager driving a dream car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
aharper98
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teenager driving a dream car.

Now Believe me- I've done the research. I've read the threads, and I, for the most part, now understand why I fell in love with a Corvette. So, here's the deal. I want to buy a Corvette for my first car. I live in Georgia where around me in the student parking lot is basically just a whole bunch of trucks and jeeps, and I want to be special. (Let me get the "INSURANCE!" questions out of the way- my quote from my agent is $153.00 a month, with a Good Student, Defensive Driver discount.)

I have saved 10,000 dollars, my parents will contribute 3-4, and I need to find a car.

What I would love your expert advice for is to answer this question-
Should I get a Corvette C4 with low mileage, good condition for around 14000, or should I get a C5, probably higher mileage and not as great, for the same price?

The C4 style has definitely grown on me, but I still love the C5 much more, it's also more advanced, but hey, it's my first car, my first corvette. But not only does the C5 look cool, It's in my understanding many problems were solved with the new generation.

Thoughts?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Pick up a C5 the insurance should be cheaper then a C4 and it's way easier and cheaper for parts. I've owned a couple of C4's and it's just to outdated and higher maintenance vehicle.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

C5 all the way.. I'm not a C4 fan myself, I've always felt it the red headed stepchild.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 PM
nitemaher
Pro

My brother owned a C4 and I drove it alot and at the time it was great except for getting in and out of it. I now own a C5 and wouldnt have a C4 unless its a ZR1 or a Grand Sport or one that was practically given to me other than that 100% C5 . I hope you get the one you want. let us know and post pics!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Go C5.

You can pick up a 97-99 with under 100K miles for a reasonable price. Just make sure all the proper maintenance has been performed and you'll have yourself a fantastic ride.

While they get great mileage, they do take premium so factor that into your cost as well.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Trying to be special in a parking lot full of trucks and jeeps, may not be the best thing, or in your best interest.. College kids can be way too testosterone filled, and could show you just how special your car is.

I don't want to squash your focus on a Corvette, but I would not want to park my car in a college parking lot. While 80 % of the students may be moral and ethical with a focus on a good education. The other 20 % are there to have fun at their parents expense. Its those 20% irresponsible party animals with a " can you top this attitude" when it comes to impressing the ladies, might just put your Corvette at risk. Trying to make your Corvette appear to be special might just **** off too many drug and alcohol dependent students from that 20 % demographic. This is something to consider. if that element does not appear at your campus, then go for the C5.
Good luck and stay in school, that degree is much more important than your first Corvette.
Bill aka ET
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Trying to be special in a parking lot full of trucks and jeeps, may not be the best thing, or in your best interest.. College kids can be way too testosterone filled, and could show you just how special your car is.

I don't want to squash your focus on a Corvette, but I would not want to park my car in a college parking lot. While 80 % of the students may be moral and ethical with a focus on a good education. The other 20 % are there to have fun at their parents expense. Its those 20% irresponsible party animals with a " can you top this attitude" when it comes to impressing the ladies, might just put your Corvette at risk. Trying to make your Corvette appear to be special might just **** off too many drug and alcohol dependent students from that 20 % demographic. This is something to consider. if that element does not appear at your campus, then go for the C5.
Good luck and stay in school, that degree is much more important than your first Corvette.
Bill aka ET
This may apply in some places and is more of a judgement call. I parked at Sam Houston for 2-3+ years with no issues and at various community colleges before that.....of course my car was always rather dirty

A corvette will ALWAYS stick out in a parking lot (unless it's at a car show) but just take note of the type of people and the atmosphere and decide if it's a reasonable risk. Also consider that commuting students will probably be more anxious to get to class and get home than to mess with a car versus on-campus students who has extra time on their hands.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

If you do go for a C4, don't put $14,000 into it.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove my C5 to college myself, and nothing ever happened to it; I was careful as to were I parked though lol. As the radioflyer said, know who you park next to and you should be fine. I always parked next to people I knew.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

I agree with some of the other post above.

I'd go with a C5 with a good maintenance history, in good shape. My younger brother showed up today with a friend who just got a 70k mile 2000 C5 for 17k. The car is cosmetically in horrible shape. Scratches everywhere, dings and a pretty small fender bender on the front bumper. He was surprised when i told him he over-paid for the car. Be patient and don't settle for anything less of what you are looking for even if your heart is set out to get into a vette asap.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM
transce
Advanced

There was a real dividing line between the C4 and C5. It was really from the C5 onward that it became well-recognized as a true sports car.

Reasons you mights want a C5:
* More horsepower
* Better mileage
* More modern looks
* More live-able suspension

About the suspension, the C4 and earlier Corvettes are *notorious* for their firm (read unforgiving) suspension. That means you're going to feel every bump, crack, and hole in the road to a degree that will sometimes be uncomfortable. I've found that girls tend to not like this. A Corvette with the adjustable ride control gives you the best of both worlds, a stiff setting for tearing up the track, a soft setting for bad roads and ladies, and a medium setting for every day.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Nice C5's are well within your price range.

Don't be a tool and try to be a drift king and wreck it either... Every young dude that drives a vette has to be a showoff then wrecks the thing. Buy it...go straight to the autocross, get it sideways there...then do HPDE days...then drive like a maniac cause you know what to expect...the end...
Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by RC000E
Nice C5's are well within your price range.

Don't be a tool and try to be a drift king and wreck it either... Every young dude that drives a vette has to be a showoff then wrecks the thing. Buy it...go straight to the autocross, get it sideways there...then do HPDE days...then drive like a maniac cause you know what to expect...the end...
Nice, so now all young kids are show offs?
jk
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Personally, I would opt for the C5. Drive both and find out why.

Since you live in Ga, go by buyavette.net in Dekalb County, Atlanta, GA and look around. They have a huge selection, 2 year free warranty and check out what they sell.

I have a bud that owns a car lot in Cumming. He just sold a nice 99 black C5 for 13K. PM me and I will give him your info and tell him to start looking out for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I own both. The C5 will be cheaper on repairs simply because it's newer. If you are good with wrenches then that may not be a concern for you. I would question your ability to upkeep either generation based on a students income (no offence - just a general observation). If money is not a deciding factor then you need to drive both before making a decision.

Either way, please by responsible when driving a Vette. It is way too easy for the car to get away from you while trying to impress the guys/girls. Not worth the price for a bad split second decision.

Also, I wouldn't pay $14k for a C4.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
If you are good with wrenches then that may not be a concern for you. I would question your ability to upkeep either generation based on a students income (no offence - just a general observation).

Either way, please be responsible when driving a Vette. It is way too easy for the car to get away from you while trying to impress the guys/girls. Not worth the price for a bad split second decision.
Very good points!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would go with a C5 if the right one came along, but if you can find a low mileage, well maintained C4 with the options you want, that's not a bad choice either. The later model C4s were pretty decent in terms of ride and performance. Just be sure to check the car out very carefully.

Get notified of new replies

To Teenager driving a dream car.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go C5. Its really a great car. More practical than you would think.

Maintenance isn't the cheapest thing ever... especially tires. Keep in mind the tires cost around $200 each on the cheap side. Good ones are more like $300+. Especially keep in mind if the car you buy needs tires soon - set aside $1000 for tires.

The other maintenance is not that bad. At its heart a C5 its an LS1, which is one of the most common engines out there.

Also, being relatively young myself, driving a C5 is fantastic. The only thing you have to watch out for is everyone will think you're a spoiled brat whose parents wasted a lot of money buying you a car you don't care about and will crash. Also, lots of people can't tell apart a C5 from a C6, and tend to think C5s still cost $40K or something. People always seem surprised when I tell them I only paid 21.5K on my C5, even though that's on the high end for a C5. The fact that people think C5s cost more than they do, it adds to the "spoiled brat" mentality to see a younger person driving one.

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 04-15-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 AM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in georgia to, my first car was a c4 which i got at 17.Now i have moved to the c5 i bought when i turned 21, i still have my c4. But my c5 is my dd, i went with progressive insurance its was 180 for full coverage and 89 for liability and i have alot of tickets,also they love the red. Now that im 24 about to be 25, my full coverage has gone to 140 a month.i love them my motorcycle insurance with them is 208 dollars a year. It was hard to find someone, to pick me up for insurance. Allstate told me no and i was paying 130 a month for my bike with them.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
Nice, so now all young kids are show offs?
jk
You wouldnt be buyin a vette if you werent. A nice vette is a lot better than a wrecked one. Take the car to the limit in controlled circumstances...

Quick Reply: Teenager driving a dream car.