Sponsored by:

Zr1 glass for a c5 hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Zr1 glass for a c5 hood

Okay, I was at a local show a week ago and all that kept getting mentioned and the attention of the judges were the Zr1's with the opening in the hoods. There was also a c6 there that had an old big block look hood with the opening in the hood. I wonder is it possible to install the window in a c5 hood. East coast corvette sells the window and the workmanship looks quality. Any thoughts? My vette is black so I would get the window on the hood vinyl wrapped as well plus my hood is from ACI hi- rise. I am considering this but will try it on a damaged hood before cutting mine.
By the way the Tiger Shark bumper will be ready in a few weeks. It has the z06 air acoop added and I will post pictures.
Richard
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

The judges are crazy. You can't really see anything but the top of
the SC. If you put a peep glass on your vette what are you going
to see???? Fads they come and go.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was fortunate enough to have a ZR1, the first mod I would make would be to replace the incredibly tacky stock hood with a conventional one and store the original for any p**urchaser who might inherit the car after me. There was a reason some Ferraris revealed their mid-engines under a plastic cover; they were works of art, not a boring hunk of flat billet aluminium atop a supercharger.

Last edited by jornahow; 04-12-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Due to extreme reaction to the "P" word
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I think they look dumb on zr1s and I certainly wouldnt want that on a c5. I also would never make a modification of any kind just to get attention from judges at car shows (unless they were beautiful women I could bang afterwards). That being said, its your car and you want a window in your hood then go for it. It can probably be done and I doubt its been done before on a c5, so it would be pretty unique.

My question is, why vinyl wrap the window? What would be the point of putting in a window then covering it up? Is there some kind of transparent vinyl?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a beautiful hood like this and your contemplating putting a hideous plastic window in it.

[IMG][/IMG]

The judges would be oogleing the ZR1's whether they had that window or not it's just a badass machine but In my opinion I think they would look better without the hood window. If you want the judges attention then turn your efforts to the engine bay and I guarantee you'll get just as many looks as the ZR1 boys.

[IMG][/IMG]

Believe me, the hood gets plenty of attention as is.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by MG RED 99

Believe me, the hood gets plenty of attention as is.

What hood?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
mydreamc5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be unique that is for sure. I am sure it can be done, but I would do alot of research and maybe even go and check out the ZR1 area of the forum and see if they like the hoods or not. I watched a show on speed the other day and they were disscussing this. It turns out that it was suprising how many ZR1 owners switch there hoods because of the window and that alot of reviews showed that was one of the things that people actually disliked about the car.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

This has been around for ten years

I think a lot of people throw the word "Poser" around way too frequently.

People add cosmetic mods to their car all the time. It doesn't make them a Poser. Many people add a spoiler to their car for example, and never break the speed limit. People add side skirts and splitters, and big brakes and never break the speed limit. People add a more aggressive exhaust system to their car. So if someone buys a Corvette in stock trim and adds anything that is not a serious race application , then they are posers? Hardly!. If a guy buys a Z51 fender badge because it breaks up the line of the front fender and takes the car to a level above the stock look. and has a Z51 suspension, why not add the badge if he likes it. and why would others in the corvette community call this brother a poser because he chose to make his car look a little different than stock. people who throw the word "Poser" around, do it to be insulting. Seems pretty childish to me. Of course this forum has become fairly childish over the last few years now that an 18 year old with a job can afford a C5.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 04-12-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

If a guy buys a Z51 fender badge because it breaks up the line of the front fender and takes the car to a level above the stock look. and has a Z51 suspension, why not add the badge if he likes it. and why would others in the corvette community call this brother a poser because he chose to make his car look a little different than stock. people who throw the word "Poser" around, to it to be insulting. Seems pretty childish to me. Of course this forum has become fairly childish over the last few years now that an 18 year old with a job can afford a C5.
I'm glad you said this because I've been thinking about doing just that since I have included Z51 suspension parts in my restoration work.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM
sircampsalot2
Pro

I'm a Pro-poser! I propose we all get along! LoL
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
chipscvettec5
Racer

That plastic crap IMHO is just that, crap. Personally, I wouldn't modify and downgrade any C5 to try and mimic an open style peep hole. As mentioned above, you can't see hardly anything other than the top of a cowl piece. They can have it....as far as the judges go, they never know what their looking for anyhow.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As others have stated it just seems to be a styling gimmick that was there to show off the supercharger,are you going to add one?
Not something I would want,,,but I'm a car guy that likes to see what others have done,,so If you do it,post it up,I'd like to see how it turns out!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa touched a sore spot did I? When I was "posing" a response to the OP I chose the word "poser" to describe somebody who would want to put the plexi window back on a ZR1 after it had been removed. I retract the word poser and replace it with: ..... for fear of offending anybody, you fill in the blank. BTW Yes I have a job, but I am several multiples of 18
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default responses

Wow- a lot of interesting responses. I have thought long and hard about this mod. But it is one of those things if I dont do I will always have in the back of my mind what if? So since I have acess to some wrecked hoods we will use one of those , shoot it black,,put the glass in , put it on the car and see what it looks like before we continue. If it does not look good I will sell the glass-window to a c6 guy and lose maybe a 100.00 bucks, not a big hit for an idea. If it looks good, cross my fingers I will go with it. The window will be vinyl wrapped in a dark color tint to take the heat and not make it look like a piece of glass.
Richard
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by jornahow
Whoa touched a sore spot did I? When I was "posing" a response to the OP I chose the word "poser" to describe somebody who would want to put the plexi window back on a ZR1 after it had been removed. I retract the word poser and replace it with: ..... for fear of offending anybody, you fill in the blank. BTW Yes I have a job, but I am several multiples of 18
In what way would a person who preferred the stock look of the ZR1 be a poser in any sense of the term? That's how they come from the factory. A poser is someone who pretends to be or act as something he or she is or does not.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by jornahow
Was I talking to you??? Did I quote your post? I've been on this forum for 12 years with over 30,000 open forum and private message posts. Personally I don't need anyone on this forum to validate anything I do to my car. That's why I don't ask permission to do anything to it. AS a GM design engineer with 7 proprietary designs in every C5 on the planet, and countless support on multitudes of designs in the C5 platform, I have some right to post my opinion on someone changing any of our designs, and in most cases, I applaud their design efforts to make their car more personal.. I certainly don't need some yahoo to consider that they hit a sore spot with me! You are just one of the very many who have used the word poser over the years, and usually with a measure of disrespect and designed insult. Usually, I find with some research, its some pimple faced kid ( I've seen a few photos )with a few bucks in his pocket. While you picked me out and quoted me, I did not pick you out . But thinking that you could possibly Hit a sore spot with me required me to ( quote you ) and tell you, you are just a small fish in a big sea, without any chance of getting into my pants.
with love
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 04-12-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was I talking to you??? Did I quote your post? I've been on this forum for 12 years with over 30,000 open forum and private message posts. Personally I don't need anyone on this forum to validate anything I do to my car. That's why I don't ask permission to do anything to it. AS a GM design engineer with 7 proprietary designs in every C5 on the planet, and countless support on multitudes of designs in the C5 platform, I have some right to post my opinion on someone changing any of our designs, and in most cases, I applaud their design efforts to make their car more personal.. I certainly don't need some yahoo to consider that they hit a sore spot with me! You are just one of the very many who have used the word poser over the years, and usually with a measure of disrespect and designed insult. Usually, I find with some research, its some pimple faced kid ( I've seen a few photos )with a few bucks in his pocket. While you picked me out and quoted me, I did not pick you out . But thinking that you could possibly Hit a sore spot with me required me to ( quote you ) and tell you, you are just a small fish in a big sea, without any chance of getting into my pants.
with love
Bill aka ET
Considering that up to that point he was the only one who had used the word poser, it certainly came off as though you were talking to him. What other reason would you need to go on a rant about the use of the word poser? Based on both of your responses it seems very much like he hit a nerve with you.

Either way, I also disagree with his use of the word poser in that context.

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 glass for a c5 hood

Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Jrockk
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line I agree with evil twin you can do whatever you want to your car doesn't make you a poser tons of people add more power and will never use it on the street does that make them posers no! jornahow who are you to call someone a poser you have a cai and hid fog lights so should we call you a ricer considering 99% of those cars have that! this Is America we have the right to do what we want to our cars if we want
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I was not looking for an argument here. This word "poser" is becoming more prominent in this forum over the last year or two. I don't like the term, because the term on its own, is meant as an insult ( something I do not want to see here in this forum ) . Since this poser term has only surfaced relatively short term, its fairly easy to equate it to a lower caliber of membership in this forum. Ive said many times that this forum was a very high class forum 12 years ago when member were plopping down 50 grand for their C5. IN the last two or three years this forum has gone from a High class neighborhood to a ghetto. Those of us who have been around for a dozen years or more know exactly what I'm saying. Now that you can buy a C5 for Ten grand, anyone can own one. Its evident by some ( Not all of the post and threads here).. There are many very responsible high caliber people and C5's still on this forum, but its becoming more and more watered down with the other element. Its like growing up in a great progressive neighborhood and moving away, and then returning to it a dozen years later only to find it a graffiti ridden ghetto. A little dramatic? yeas it is.. I don't want to see this neighborhood sink to that. That's just how I feel. I've never pulled a punch or sugar coated anything.
Bill aka ET
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

with love
Bill aka ET
I just have one thing to say ET/Bill.....:

Quick Reply: Zr1 glass for a c5 hood