Sponsored by:

ACI Side Skirt Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ACI Side Skirt Fitment

Recently, I ordered the C5 ACI side skirts. I got them painted over the weekend and went forward with the installation last night. I had no issues with the front lip but the side skirts were giving me some trouble regarding a potential fitment issue.

Note: In all the pictures below, only the two stock screws are holding the side skirt in place. I'm questioning the fitment now before I drill holes into my rocker panels.

Here is the driver's side. The rearward curvature seems to not fit flush. I actually couldn't get this stock screw back on so maybe that's the issue. The body gap gets better right at the brake duct but then seems worse before and after. Even if I push up on the skirt to help make it flush with the body line, I just don't see how it'll sit flush. Anyone use double sided tape to help sit it flush?

The passenger side seems better. Both stock screws are on. This one might be workable but I wanted to get people's opinions before I start drilling holes in my car.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnnyT; 04-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

It looks like that one side was trimmed too much at the factory, or somehow got warped. Probably should've tried the fitment before painting... You may want to contact ACI about this.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
It looks like that one side was trimmed too much at the factory, or somehow got warped. Probably should've tried the fitment before painting... You may want to contact ACI about this.
Maybe I was a little too anxious. I had the car in storage and didn't want to wait too long into spring to get everything going so I just had everything painted as I never read of any fitment issues from others.

I do have an email to ACI, just waiting for a response and wanted to get your guys' opinions too. My painter's dirt cheap so if I need to get a replacement I'm not at too much of a loss. Lesson learned though.

I'll report back with what ACI says.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hmmmm ..

I to ran into this problem ... Where your brake duct is reach down under the car and you will feel a large screw head .. I removed that screw then drill a hole in the side and re installed ...good luck
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James2002z06
I to ran into this problem ... Where your brake duct is reach down under the car and you will feel a large screw head .. I removed that screw then drill a hole in the side and re installed ...good luck
Yeah that's the screw head I couldn't get back on for the driver's side. The passenger one went back on no problem (go figure the fitment looks better on that side so maybe that's the issue).

So you drilled another hole near the one that's on the outside? Suppose I can just get it as tight and flush to the body as possible and drill the holes from there. Just don't want to have to do this twice if the fitment turns out as off as it looks right now. I know it'll tighten up with the other hardware, but it doesn't seem like there's THAT much adjustment to it to fill that gap.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Default Yes ...

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
Yeah that's the screw head I couldn't get back on for the driver's side. The passenger one went back on no problem (go figure the fitment looks better on that side so maybe that's the issue).

So you drilled another hole near the one that's on the outside? Suppose I can just get it as tight and flush to the body as possible and drill the holes from there. Just don't want to have to do this twice if the fitment turns out as off as it looks right now. I know it'll tighten up with the other hardware, but it doesn't seem like there's THAT much adjustment to it to fill that gap.
Yes I drilled a hole in the skirt bottom where that screw went and all was good , I tell ya man it's not a walk in the park installing those things ..
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Yes I drilled a hole in the skirt bottom where that screw went and all was good , I tell ya man it's not a walk in the park installing those things ..
Yeah no doubt. The front lip was cake compared to this. I may try that when I get home, appreciate the help. I just don't want to force too much bending in fear of cracking the paint or the fiberglass itself. Seems somewhat pliable but I'll just get it as snug as I can and then drill the holes.

ACI got back to me but they're tracking the order down so no news yet.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Exchanged a few emails with Bret over at ACI and he came to the conclusion that I was sent the wrong side skirt. I have the skirts that are only for use with their brake duct rockers kit (which obviously I don't have). That model is the AGK600R. Unfortunately, I needed the AGK600.

So since I ordered through Dennis at Double D mods I'll have to get ahold of him and see what we can do about getting this resolved. Big bummer
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exchanged a few emails with Bret over at ACI and he came to the conclusion that I was sent the wrong side skirt. I have the skirts that are only for use with their brake duct rockers kit (which obviously I don't have). That model is the AGK600R. Unfortunately, I needed the AGK600.

So since I ordered through Dennis at Double D mods I'll have to get ahold of him and see what we can do about getting this resolved. Big bummer
That was exactly the question I was going to ask, was whether you ended up getting the skirts that mate up with their brake cooling duct rocker kit since the rocker kit curves outward. That is a bummer. Hopefully all will be taken care of. Although you might not be able to recoup the painting costs.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MG RED 99
That was exactly the question I was going to ask, was whether you ended up getting the skirts that mate up with their brake cooling duct rocker kit since the rocker kit curves outward. That is a bummer. Hopefully all will be taken care of. Although you might not be able to recoup the painting costs.
Yeah, the painting costs was the least of my worries. I'm fortunate enough to have a friend in the business.

I brought the issue up with Dennis at Double D Mods and will be getting the right set soon. He really did me a solid on this one considering they're painted so I'm VERY fortunate to have such a stand-up guy like Dennis take care of me. He's the man!

Good thing I didn't go home and drill some holes haha. Thanks for the help, everyone.

So, I'll post an update once I get the new set painted and installed. If anyone is looking for the set I currently have, I'd be more than happy to ship them directly to you otherwise these ones are going back to Dennis.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

The good news is both companies you are dealing with are very good with regards to their customer service. That is a bummer that the wrong ones got sent and you didn't know it until after you had them painted and were about to start drilling holes.

I ordered all of my ACI parts from them directly many years ago and they were great to deal with as well as being a very nice product.

So much for getting the jump on spring
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MG RED 99
The good news is both companies you are dealing with are very good with regards to their customer service. That is a bummer that the wrong ones got sent and you didn't know it until after you had them painted and were about to start drilling holes.

I ordered all of my ACI parts from them directly many years ago and they were great to deal with as well as being a very nice product.

So much for getting the jump on spring
Nail on the head regarding the first part. I read so many great reviews from Dennis I knew if I had any sort of issue he'd do his best to help me out.

Yeah, I certainly didn't get the jump I wanted for this but I already got my clutch in and this was the middle piece. Next is a FAST 92/90 install and retune. Unfortunately, we just got hit with a fairly good sized snow storm here and may get up to a foot so I guess time is back on my side.

I'm just glad to hear things will get resolved and hope to be back at it soon to get this pig on the road!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would test fit the new skirts prior to painting. Also I installed my skirts with no help. While this is do-able, in looking back it would have been easier with an extra pair of hands. Be careful when stepping out of the car.

Gene
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Default You I've been

Nail on the head regarding the first part. I read so many great reviews from Dennis I knew if I had any sort of issue he'd do his best to help me out.

Yeah, I certainly didn't get the jump I wanted for this but I already got my clutch in and this was the middle piece. Next is a FAST 92/90 install and retune. Unfortunately, we just got hit with a fairly good sized snow storm here and may get up to a foot so I guess time is back on my side.

I'm just glad to hear things will get resolved and hope to be back at it soon to get this pig on the road!
Thinking about this all day , I wonder if the ones that I have are really the ones that I needed , like yours the drivers side gave me problems
Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Grainraiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone give me a ball park figure on how much it cost to get these side skirts painted. I have the side skirts and rear spoiler that needs to be painted. I am simply waiting to get the chin spoiler before taking everything in to get painted.

Reggie
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Na4now
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if they're not the correct ones....your pass side looks great. If it were me, I'd make the drivers side look like the pass side, and be done with it. Shoot a screw with a washer, or something that'll suck it up into the rocker...and your done.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Not a perfect fit by any means... took me quite awhile to install mine.

Last edited by TXGS507; 04-11-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ACI Side Skirt Fitment

Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 71corv
I would test fit the new skirts prior to painting. Also I installed my skirts with no help. While this is do-able, in looking back it would have been easier with an extra pair of hands. Be careful when stepping out of the car.

Gene
Yeah, lesson learned on that one. I will definitely test fit the new ones when I get them before painting. Thanks!

Thinking about this all day , I wonder if the ones that I have are really the ones that I needed , like yours the drivers side gave me problems
Yours do look much more flush than mine. My pictures are pretty deceiving. There's more gap than what it looks like (granted though, they're not fully bolted on). I'm not sure if they stamp the model # on the underside of the skirts but it should say AGK600.

Originally Posted by Grainraiser
Could anyone give me a ball park figure on how much it cost to get these side skirts painted. I have the side skirts and rear spoiler that needs to be painted. I am simply waiting to get the chin spoiler before taking everything in to get painted.

Reggie
I got two quotes - but they were both different options. I had a very reputable paint shop quote me $500 for just painting the front lip and side skirts. The other quote was $300 from my buddy for painting those pieces AND getting all my lights smoked AND painting the fog screens. He did a great job so I'll definitely have him paint the new ones. Hope this helps - it definitely benefits you to shop around, get reviews and chat with people you know that have done paint work near you. Check the local forums too.

Originally Posted by Na4now
Even if they're not the correct ones....your pass side looks great. If it were me, I'd make the drivers side look like the pass side, and be done with it. Shoot a screw with a washer, or something that'll suck it up into the rocker...and your done.
Like I said earlier, the pictures are a little deceiving. It definitely doesn't fit flush and the gaps are larger than they look. I got a plan squared away with Dennis so it's not worth it to add holes in mine and potentially crack the paint or fiberglass trying to get it to sit flush. There will be a lot of stress on that corner if I go that route so a small bump could crack it. I'll just be patient and wait. I have time for that now that we're projecting 12-15" of snow

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Not a perfect fit by any means... took me quite awhile to install mine.
They do look great though!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

That sucks about the snow coming. I have a hard enough time living in Chicago waiting out the winters. I couldn't imagine having to wait through Minnesota's winter's. I had my ACI panels installed and painted during the winter. I had to plan the drop off and pick up of my car at the body shop carefully to avoid having to make it through the snow. It did make for a more fun winter since usually the car just hibernates under it's car cover. It was worth the effort though and really transformed the car dramatically. It was like having a brand new car again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Default Ageed ...

It is like looking at a new car , the aggressive look was what I was after ..

Quick Reply: ACI Side Skirt Fitment