Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking in FL Sun vs. Covering w/sand on back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
flblue
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking in FL Sun vs. Covering w/sand on back?

Every time I drive my C5 it throws sand/dirt, even leaves up on the rear of it. Some all the way on top(of the rear), but mostly around the tail lights and license plate ledge. This happens when I wash it, and only drive it a few miles even. I was covering it up to keep the intense sun off all day while at work. Then I discovered that when I was rolling up the cover to store it inside for the trip home, that I was scratching the finish due to the sand. I can't take the time to wash it every time I get to work, but I hate to leave it all day out in the sun, not to mention the dust that covers it then too.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I was considering using a California Duster, but am concerned that after using it a few times, that the sand that it captures will cause it to do more harm than good.
Any helpful suggestions?
Thanks guys!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Someone, had posted something about this before and there is supposedly a spray wax or something that helps but i cant remember what the name of it was. maybe someone will chime in again about it.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2
Someone, had posted something about this before and there is supposedly a spray wax or something that helps but i cant remember what the name of it was. maybe someone will chime in again about it.
I know Zaino has a "speed detailer" product of sorts that removes dust/sand between washes with a microfiber towel and a few sprays... It works very well! (And smells good!) hah

Most others like Meguires, Mothers, and Adam's have similar speed detailer products with similar results. I know I have a few bottles of each.

It is certainly easier to prevent scratches than to repair them.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by flblue
Every time I drive my C5 it throws sand/dirt, even leaves up on the rear of it. Some all the way on top(of the rear), but mostly around the tail lights and license plate ledge. This happens when I wash it, and only drive it a few miles even. I was covering it up to keep the intense sun off all day while at work. Then I discovered that when I was rolling up the cover to store it inside for the trip home, that I was scratching the finish due to the sand. I can't take the time to wash it every time I get to work, but I hate to leave it all day out in the sun, not to mention the dust that covers it then too.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I was considering using a California Duster, but am concerned that after using it a few times, that the sand that it captures will cause it to do more harm than good.
Any helpful suggestions?
Thanks guys!
Yikes, don't cover it or use a duster with sand on the car! If your concerned about keeping the interior cool get a cabin cover. Essentially it's half a car cover and only covers the top and windows portion of the car. I have one and it's great for keeping the sun out of the interior and keeping it cool.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

don't cover a dirty car
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I have the same issue where I live...except with snow!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I've never had anything beyond stuff on the back and in the light wells. Might want to consider "mud flaps."

I've been using Blackfire Rinseless Wash. It seems to do a good job of encapsulating that stuff so you can get it up with a microfiber cloth. You have to use a "rolling away motion", though.

I also don't put my outdoor cover directly on my car. I use a stretch satin underneath because it has an extremely soft lining. Still, anytime you touch the paint, something is bound to happen to it. It is the eternal struggle of which is the lesser of the evils. I have decided that keeping mine covered is the lesser, because most the time, it is parked near trees, some which will stain the paint from the tannic acid in the leaves.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I too would not put a cover on the car when the surface of the car is not free of any dirt - just asking for scratches in the paint as you are aware. The California Duster works well to lift the dust off without scratching the car and it claims to work better as you use it more. I've used one for years and so far no scratches. Using a quick detailer is also a good way to lift off the dirt/dust and then you can put the cover back on.

Just be sure you are not putting a cover on when the wind is gusty - if the cover happens to flap it could damage the paint surface also. Perhaps look into what GTJim said - one of the covers that just goes over the cockpit area or get the windows tinted and use a front sunshield for the windshield.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I'm with the others who say don't put a cover on it when dirty. Personally, I would only put a cover on right after washing it.

I'm going to assume you cover it to protect the finish as well as keep the interior cool so I'd suggest getting one of those portable canopy tent things. Sure you'll be the guy at work who is a little obsessive about his car but it sounds like you may already be. (not that there is anything wrong with that)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default No cover on a dirty sandy car.

Do not cover the car... You want UV protection? use Zaino.. you wont need a cover with this product.. if sand is your issue, use clear water to wash it of.. don't rub it off.. don't use a California duster with sand.
spray with the hose and then buy your self a cheap Black and decker leaf blower. blow the car dry... this whole process should not take more than 15 minutes. I use a medical silicone squeegee to wisp the water off, once the sand is washed off. then the blower and a soft warmed ( in the dryer ) towel .
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
maroman88
Pro

tint your windows and throw a sunshade up front when u park, get a solid targa top if u dont have one already

Get notified of new replies

To Parking in FL Sun vs. Covering w/sand on back?

Quick Reply: Parking in FL Sun vs. Covering w/sand on back?