Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a new guy choose and find a car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Torker
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a new guy choose and find a car...

I have a few questions here so please be patient with me! This will be my first Corvette.

I'm looking to purchase a C5 very soon & would love some advise from the experienced. My plan is to drive the car as in back & forth to work every nice day! It will never be my only car & will never be subject to the evil road salt but it may just see rain. They get wet when you wash them anyway, right? It will be a 6 speed & I would really like HUD. First choice would be millennium yellow but I'm buying used so maybe I better just say I really don't care for red or green & I doubt I'm **** enough to keep a black car looking as good as a black car can! Due to living in PA stock ride height will be mandatory.

One question is would a Z06 be a bad choice for what I'm looking for & why or why not?

Also I would think if the right car comes along that is lowered, that may not be a deal breaker, should it? Putting it back to stock height and aligned isn't too tough, is it?

I'm leaning toward stock or very lightly modified. I'm thinking maybe aftermarket exhaust, air intake, etc would be fine but I do plan to drive it verY often & would want good reliability & stock or better MPG. It would never see a track day but maybe a drag strip but on stock tires.

I'm very confused on advertised prices & best places to look for a nice used car. Dealer prices seem to be quite high. Are they expecting to negotiate & hoping they might not have to? What is the best way to try to figure out a fair offer? I know KBB is pretty steep, so what would be a good price guide to go by? I just know I have seen some cars that appear to be way too high & others I actually thought were pretty low priced. I am NOT looking to steal someone's car but I would obviously like to get the most car for the dollar.

I'm sure ill have a million more questions but this seems like a good start.

The Z06 or no Z06 was a big question for me. Will the ride really kill me on our nasty PA roads?

Thanks for any & all advise!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

get the Zo6 you will be happy, nothing like um.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
DEnglish29
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
Love my Z, as far as lowered, it is really easy to raise it back up on the stock bolts .
Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

If you can pull off a deal on a Z06, definitely go for it!! That's what I wanted this time around too, but just couldn't swing that much money.

However, my coupe with Z51 suspension is a very acceptable compromise!!!!

DSTURBD
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Z06 if you want a race car, if you just want to cruise get a convertable~nothing more fun. Ask lots of questions and get one with the least amount of miles you can afford. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
couldn't more
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torker
I have a few questions here so please be patient with me! This will be my first Corvette.

I'm looking to purchase a C5 very soon & would love some advise from the experienced. My plan is to drive the car as in back & forth to work every nice day! It will never be my only car & will never be subject to the evil road salt but it may just see rain. They get wet when you wash them anyway, right? It will be a 6 speed & I would really like HUD. First choice would be millennium yellow but I'm buying used so maybe I better just say I really don't care for red or green & I doubt I'm **** enough to keep a black car looking as good as a black car can! Due to living in PA stock ride height will be mandatory.

One question is would a Z06 be a bad choice for what I'm looking for & why or why not?

Also I would think if the right car comes along that is lowered, that may not be a deal breaker, should it? Putting it back to stock height and aligned isn't too tough, is it?

I'm leaning toward stock or very lightly modified. I'm thinking maybe aftermarket exhaust, air intake, etc would be fine but I do plan to drive it verY often & would want good reliability & stock or better MPG. It would never see a track day but maybe a drag strip but on stock tires.

I'm very confused on advertised prices & best places to look for a nice used car. Dealer prices seem to be quite high. Are they expecting to negotiate & hoping they might not have to? What is the best way to try to figure out a fair offer? I know KBB is pretty steep, so what would be a good price guide to go by? I just know I have seen some cars that appear to be way too high & others I actually thought were pretty low priced. I am NOT looking to steal someone's car but I would obviously like to get the most car for the dollar.

I'm sure ill have a million more questions but this seems like a good start.

The Z06 or no Z06 was a big question for me. Will the ride really kill me on our nasty PA roads?

Thanks for any & all advise!
I wouldn't worry about height while finding your car as it can easily be adjusted if you find you want it higher or lower. It is quite a debate between coupe, vert or z06. I appreciate certain things about each of them and hence I could be happy with all 3. The coupe is most versatile and vert probably least versatile but there's nothing like top down for looks and driving. The Z is best looking if all three have tops on (opinion yes but probably the majority one) plus being a Z06 gives you certain things that you won't need to modify as soon or as much. I wouldn't be concerned about the Z as far as comfort goes. You plan to do only light mods but if you are like the majority of us then you will change your mind. I started out being a fan of pure stock and I am now almost 180 degrees opposite. So, I wouldn't be too worried about buying all stock as odds are you will want to personalize it anyway. HUD for sure! Color - can't go wrong - I appreciate all of them. I wouldn't stress too much on mileage since you intend to drive it often. Mechanical and cosmetic condition more than sheer mileage. I'd shop first on the forum. I bought my car here and you will have more confidence buying here as the likelihood you get a great car is higher than buying elsewhere. As for price I would just look here to the forum for advice rather than even bother with KBB or NADA or any other guide. Also, you are smart to not worry about trying to steal it with regard to price. Be willing to pay a fair price in exchange for getting what you want. The difference, in the long run, between paying a fair price and stealing it is a non-factor. You do get what you pay for. Be patient and don't put a time limit on it. When you find the right car you won't have any questions.

Get Vetteman Jack's buyer's guide.

Best of luck and post pics when you get the car. You are going to love it!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default so many suggestions

So Little questions...
To the op.
1)How old are you.
2)What is your absolute budget.
Why are you focuses on PA. I live in PA and could drive any automobile manufactured in PA.
3) what is your job situation. ( Corvettes require maintenance ) a set of tires can easily cost 1500 dollars..
FYI anyone who suggest you buy anything without knowing your particular situation is potentially leading you down a path of destruction.
You did not mention anything about yourself or your situation. A Corvette is Not for everyone.
I'm just trying to offer you some serious and mature advice. If you would rather talk in private about your situation... Private message me and I will help you.
Bill aka ET
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 246 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

A car without a top, or roof panels is awfully nice on a gorgeous sunny day and especially in the fall when the leaves are in full change. If you're going to race then I'd say definitely a z, otherwise I'd personally opt for a coupe, but that's me, not you.

The NADA figures are alot closer to what reality is. I think the KBB folks have gotten into some serious drugs or flashbacks. ;-)

Check around your area for local Corvette clubs and see if you can talk to those guys or attend some events. Also, is there a local Corvette dealer around? Not a Chevy dealer, a dealer who specializes in Vettes. They can be very helpful as well.

Asking Vetteman Jack for his C5 information files would be very helpful too.

I see what you mean by the lowering issue given where you are. I'm originally from Meadville and will have the same issue up around those parts.

Here are a few links with info that may help or that you may find interesting.

Before you go, know what options the car MUST have, the ones that'd be nice and then the others. All C5's seem to be fairly good cars but personally I'd go with an 03 or 04 if possible. They have most all options standard with a couple of exceptions. I avoided the magnetic ride option as if you need shocks you're looking at about a $4000 bill for just the shocks.

Know how to pull the DIC codes and have a sheet with you about what they mean (below).

Always have it checked out by a good Corvette mechanic. Notice I didn't say Chevy Dealer.

Anyhow, good luck and on to the links:

Specs:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/

Option Codes:
http://home.fuse.net/corvette/rpo.htm

Production codes and numbers:
http://www.vettefacts.com/

Corvette Museum:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org

General Research Site:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/index.html

Pulling the DIC codes:
http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviRjIsy9G4

Error Codes (What they mean):
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?p=512062
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
So Little questions...
To the op.
1)How old are you.
2)What is your absolute budget.
Why are you focuses on PA. I live in PA and could drive any automobile manufactured in PA.
3) what is your job situation. ( Corvettes require maintenance ) a set of tires can easily cost 1500 dollars..
FYI anyone who suggest you buy anything without knowing your particular situation is potentially leading you down a path of destruction.
You did not mention anything about yourself or your situation. A Corvette is Not for everyone.
I'm just trying to offer you some serious and mature advice. If you would rather talk in private about your situation... Private message me and I will help you.
Bill aka ET
I agree. Knowledge of maintenance is a good point to consider as a potential buyer. I feel it a little beyond my scope to give financial advice. The maintenance point is very valid but I just assume that everyone has a different financial view and position so I leave that up to the individual.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by calvins
A car without a top, or roof panels is awfully nice on a gorgeous sunny day and especially in the fall when the leaves are in full change. If you're going to race then I'd say definitely a z, otherwise I'd personally opt for a coupe, but that's me, not you.

The NADA figures are alot closer to what reality is. I think the KBB folks have gotten into some serious drugs or flashbacks. ;-)

Check around your area for local Corvette clubs and see if you can talk to those guys or attend some events. Also, is there a local Corvette dealer around? Not a Chevy dealer, a dealer who specializes in Vettes. They can be very helpful as well.

Asking Vetteman Jack for his C5 information files would be very helpful too.

I see what you mean by the lowering issue given where you are. I'm originally from Meadville and will have the same issue up around those parts.

Here are a few links with info that may help or that you may find interesting.

Before you go, know what options the car MUST have, the ones that'd be nice and then the others. All C5's seem to be fairly good cars but personally I'd go with an 03 or 04 if possible. They have most all options standard with a couple of exceptions. I avoided the magnetic ride option as if you need shocks you're looking at about a $4000 bill for just the shocks.

Know how to pull the DIC codes and have a sheet with you about what they mean (below).

Always have it checked out by a good Corvette mechanic. Notice I didn't say Chevy Dealer.

Anyhow, good luck and on to the links:

Specs:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/

Option Codes:
http://home.fuse.net/corvette/rpo.htm

Production codes and numbers:
http://www.vettefacts.com/

Corvette Museum:
http://www.corvettemuseum.org

General Research Site:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/index.html

Pulling the DIC codes:
http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviRjIsy9G4

Error Codes (What they mean):
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?p=512062
agree

the nada clean trade is bottom of the market or what would be considered a screaming deal if the car is clean

most sales happen somewhere between clean trade and retail with many close to that retail number if it's a clean car with records, not abused etc

manheim dealer auction prices tend to float around the nada clean trade number with nice cars still going higher even there.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

You can't go wrong with a C5. Vert, Z06, or Coupe are all great cars.

You stated a stock or lightly modded car is what you want. For getting into a C5 that could be a good place to start. When you are shopping you may find that a lot of cars have some of the mods you are looking for. There are a lot of modded cars out there. Generally the mods don't add much if any to the price of the car, so if you can find one with the mods you like you are ahead. If you do the mods they will be much more expensive.

The Z06's are great cars, but are generally more expensive to buy and some thing like tires will cost more. The vert or coupe can easily be improved with a few mods to improve power and/or handling.

I currently have a coupe for my daily driver. I have some easy mods like intake, exhaust, and sway bars and it is a great daily driver. It runs 12's and still easily gets over 30mpg on the highway.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My advice - try finding an example of each C5 body style and take it for a nice test drive. Getting behind the wheel of the car is the best way to determine which one is right for you - and any style will be a good choice for a daily driver.

If you would like a copy of some Word files I have, including a Corvette Buyers Checklist, PM me your e-mail address.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 AM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my 04z 20,000 2 years ago with 50,000 no problems yet at 80,000
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

My first C5 was an auto coupe I bought new in '98. I was very happy for 82,000 miles but I wanted more. I traded it in '03 for a new Z06 and I have been very happy since then. I daily drive mine, weather permitting to work quite alot. It's been the best car I've ever had. All these years and I still love sitting in the seat and starting it up for a drive. BTW, it is modded and lowered with no problems here in rural NJ driving it. Just turned 113k miles and people think it is brand new.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Yellow Z06's are the always cheapest.. Look in the tech section and read this

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...must-read.html
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I don't own a Z cause that's not what I wanted. But I did buy the C5 that I wanted. One of the three colors I wanted, all the options I wanted, the mileage I wanted and the year I wanted. If you want a Z, then that's what you should get. IMHO, the C5 is different from other cars, it grows on you. The longer you own it, the more you like it. I'm sure you are looking on Autotrader, Cars.com, Craigslist and the For Sale forum here. Those should give you a pretty good idea what the prices are. When I bought mine, I only used KBB and NADA as tools to negotiate.

Get notified of new replies

To Help a new guy choose and find a car...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

One comment, depending on how much traffic you encounter on your daily commute, a 6 speed might lose it's 'fun factor' in heavy traffic. If that isn't a problem, go for it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

As a Vette owner who has owned a coupe and a Z06, I suggest the Z06.

I love both cars, since a Vette is a Vette.

However, the Z06 has a lot more power. It is tighter, has better suspension, actually rides better, and is just more raw driving experience fun.

The only thing I miss from the coupe is the targa top. During summer like taking it out and let the wind and sun in. However, the targa tops will leak and rattle so if you take them out often, be prepared to replace seals every other year. Not cheap either.

If I were to be in the market again, I would be buying another C5 Z06, a C6 Grand Sport, or a C6 Z06.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Leo23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you need to decide is body style, FRC/Z06, coupe, or vert. Personally, I always thought the standard coupe, with the targa top, and rear hatch was the best looking C5, and offered the most room for luggage and golf clubs on road trips. That, and Z51 suspension, 3.15 rear, (I have an auto.), sport seats, and a few other options, make for a really nice driver, and weekend road trip car. This is coming from a 57 year old, who got tired of the noisier, go fast, 6 spd. stuff, and was just looking for a comfortable cruiser, that still has enough performance to make me pay attention when I nail the throttle.

Quick Reply: Help a new guy choose and find a car...