Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying '99 FRC saturday! any special pre purchase tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM
andy9743
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello form another arctic whit frc also a 99!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

She's a sweet looking ride, congratulations
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
mydreamc5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Very nice car!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
Arctic white FRC's are super rare!!
^^^This. I would have paid 13.5 in a heartbeat. Congrats on the new car!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't like it at all, white is a horrible color, and the roof doesn't come off, for a few dollars more you could have a beautiful torch red coupe like everyone else.........

:rof l:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
Very nice.
OP that looks great, usually not a fan of the grand sport stripes but red looks good on white.

Originally Posted by racebum

good deal. there sure have been a lot of c5's selling this past month. noticed craigslist ads are turning and more activity in actual sales here on the forum than i've seen in some time. whole 10-15k price range is really hot

few things you will want to do with your new car

1. change the trans fluid. redline atf d4 is my choice {make sure d4 is on the bottle, they make multiple afts}
2. change the rear end fluid. redline 75-90 with friction modifier or gm 88862624 fluid
3. check the coolant to see if it needs to be flushed.
4. flush the brake and clutch fluid

SO many people neglect this simple stuff

link to redline gear oil. this stuff contains the correct modifer for our rear diffs http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4
Woah, hold on there bum. When researching trans fluids for my '99 I was informed by RPM transmissions to just use the DexIII and NOT use any type of synthetic for the '99 cause the tranny still had the paper blocker rings. I see from Redline's site that the D4 is synthetic.

Not really worth the risk, OP stick with the normal DexIII on the tranny. I'm partial to Amsoil Severe gear for the rear, no additive needed; did not have much luck with the Mobil One (got the lashing noise back after 20k). But OP you will see the debate here on what type/brand fluids to use can get very heated.

D4 ATF is a fully-synthetic product designed with superior low-temperature properties compared to a Dexron III® fluid, and the improved shear-stability requirements which is part of the Mercon V® specifications.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 804 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats, looks like you bought a very well kept frc!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 410 Likes on 328 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
Arctic white FRC's are super rare!!
And the fastest...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by UniqueDoug
OP that looks great, usually not a fan of the grand sport stripes but red looks good on white.

Woah, hold on there bum. When researching trans fluids for my '99 I was informed by RPM transmissions to just use the DexIII and NOT use any type of synthetic for the '99 cause the tranny still had the paper blocker rings. I see from Redline's site that the D4 is synthetic.

Not really worth the risk, OP stick with the normal DexIII on the tranny. I'm partial to Amsoil Severe gear for the rear, no additive needed; did not have much luck with the Mobil One (got the lashing noise back after 20k). But OP you will see the debate here on what type/brand fluids to use can get very heated.

D4 ATF is a fully-synthetic product designed with superior low-temperature properties compared to a Dexron III® fluid, and the improved shear-stability requirements which is part of the Mercon V® specifications.
Amsoil is the only synthetic atf that has an additive that shrinks cellulose materials negating the swelling effect of the synthetic lubricant. It's the best.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

check with one of the trans guru's on the oil. redline d4 is kind of the go to for the local guys in my area but no one owns a car pre 2001. if the older transmissions have an issue with it i'm unaware of it..but then again have never owned a pre 2001 either. any idea what years used paper blocker rings?

as for the rear most the better oils at least come with an additive added oil i know both amsoil and redline both have a rear end oil you can run straight out of the bottle with no extra additive.

edit, just looked it up. the 97-00 transmissions all use paper rings. that kind of sucks

Last edited by racebum; 04-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
check with one of the trans guru's on the oil. redline d4 is kind of the go to for the local guys in my area but no one owns a car pre 2001. if the older transmissions have an issue with it i'm unaware of it..but then again have never owned a pre 2001 either. any idea what years used paper blocker rings?

as for the rear most the better oils at least come with an additive added oil i know both amsoil and redline both have a rear end oil you can run straight out of the bottle with no extra additive.

edit, just looked it up. the 97-00 transmissions all use paper rings. that kind of sucks
So looks like we are in agreement on this.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

So looks like we are in agreement on this.
thanks for pointing that out before i hungout with a 97-00 owner and mentioned syn shifting so nice.

i was honestly unaware of the issue until you mentioned it and i looked up the details

Quick Reply: Buying '99 FRC saturday! any special pre purchase tips?