Sponsored by:

C-5 Engine Detaling

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Bucky Barbour
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-5 Engine Detaling

Anyone have tips on how to wash and detail a C-5 engine and compartment?

As always, appreciate the help!

Bucky Barbour
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
hamhead
Racer

I'll let others recommend products - I'm not particularly brand loyal.

I would point out that you should cover the alternator and if you are running some sort of aftermarket intake, best to cover that exposed air filter as well. If you rinse with water, gentle stream and make sure to dry well after.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Well, first of all, I don't wash anymore and have only done it once because I was a newby to the Corvette and didn't understand that it wasn't needed, unless it's a DD, that's a different situation. I wipe down on a weekly basis the chrome and painted parts under the hood and about every couple of months I blow out any small accumalated road particles with my air hose. The other exposed metal parts I use an applicator pad "lightly" sprayed with Armor All and IMO gives it a very clean appearance. It works for me, no high cost special products.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did it get dirty? is it just dusty? is it from snow and salt?

did you drive the car when it wasnt perfect weather outside?

post a pic of current engine bay condition so we can better advise on the correct products and procedures to follow!!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that Simple Green works pretty well. Cover the alternator to prevent it from getting wet, use a gentle stream of water to wet the "COOL" engine/compartment, spray Simple Green and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, not too long or it may turn the plastic parts white-ish, then rinse with a gentle stream of water. I have a shop vac that turns into a leaf blower to blow excess water from engine and compartment. Be as careful as possible of electrical components. My engine and engine compartment have never been too dirty and I've done it this way for several years without an issue. Good luck and post pics!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,427 Likes on 14,043 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have never washed my engine bay - I simply dust it off with one of the smaller California Dusters (or something similar) and then go back over it with a moist Absorber. For any grease that may be present, I take a rag with some Simple Green and wipe the grease off. I do this at each washing to keep it clean. I was lucky when I bought the car and the previous owner kept it immaculate under the hood so I haven't had to worry too much about the need for an extensive detail job.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Robert1Stock
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In AZ I get dust real bad, and after a light rain or any moisture gets to it grim builds up quick. I use engine bright extreme detail only once I have monitored the weather for a while and when a light rinse/dry won't do the trick. Mine is also my DD though so it gets exposed to a bit more with the stupid tree's you can't avoid at my works parking lot
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx2200
I've found that Simple Green works pretty well. Cover the alternator to prevent it from getting wet, use a gentle stream of water to wet the "COOL" engine/compartment, spray Simple Green and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, not too long or it may turn the plastic parts white-ish, then rinse with a gentle stream of water. I have a shop vac that turns into a leaf blower to blow excess water from engine and compartment. Be as careful as possible of electrical components. My engine and engine compartment have never been too dirty and I've done it this way for several years without an issue. Good luck and post pics!

warm engine - - cover the delicate parts with plastic bags . . .blow dry or air dry before starting - - I use tire foam on all the plastic parts- keeping it way from serpentine/drive belts.Tooth brush or shoe shine applicator to loosen any built up dirt.

Simply Green's a good solution-- also use it to clean floor mats, then rub with a damp sponge or towel- air dry.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I have never washed my engine bay - I simply dust it off with one of the smaller California Dusters (or something similar) and then go back over it with a moist Absorber. For any grease that may be present, I take a rag with some Simple Green and wipe the grease off. I do this at each washing to keep it clean. I was lucky when I bought the car and the previous owner kept it immaculate under the hood so I haven't had to worry too much about the need for an extensive detail job.
I have pretty much the same routine. I clean the engine every time I clean the rest of the car. The secret is to not let it get too dirty.

I live in Florida and drive my convertible near the beach on a regular basis. As a result, my Callaway Honker CAI sucks up road sand like a Hoover vacuum. I simply wipe off the engine with a damp MF towel and then apply some Adams VRT or other dressing to keep it looking good. I usually don't apply too much dressing and only before a show. Most of the time, just a damp MF towel.

Still looks good after 9 years...

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Michael b
Burning Brakes

I use 303 aerospace. Been using it since 1999 on my C-5 engine bay and I love it. I looks as good as new. You can buy it at most marine/boat supply stores like west marine. I recommend it..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Johnson 92
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 90 Posts
C5 of the Month 6/13

Here's a great detailing video

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 271 Likes on 121 Posts
Oldtimer

Never used the aerospace stuff but you can pick it up from Amazon

Amazon.com: 303 Products Aerospace Protectant: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: 303 Products Aerospace Protectant: Sports & Outdoors
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael b
I use 303 aerospace. Been using it since 1999 on my C-5 engine bay and I love it. I looks as good as new. You can buy it at most marine/boat supply stores like west marine. I recommend it..

Actuall EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) sells this as well and if you know a college kid, you get 25% off. I knew sending my son to college would pay off!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 AM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Mr. Moto, from motorcycle shops. Spray it on, wait...........rinse it off. clean as can be, and no streaking whatsoever.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

Luckily, the guy we bought our C5 from delivered it in brand new condition in all respects. I strongly agree with MSG C5 that the trick is to stay ahead of the game.

Our C5 is driven four or five times a week on average and is now approaching 30,000 miles and the engine bay has never been washed and still looks showroom new.

I check it at least once a week. If there is any dust whatsoever, I vacuum the entire engine bay, including the embroidered hood liner, then I use an air compressor to blow out any debris/dust from any hiding places, then I very lightly use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant Spray wiped on every piece that would benefit. On average, I probably get the vacuum out once a month, the air gun suffices the rest of the time.

I was once in the local Concours de Elegance Rally and the kid that set it all up had us assemble in a golf course parking lot that had one area covered in a fine silica like product and I unknowingly drove over it and Hoovered inside a giant dust cloud that covered the entire car and engine bay.

We immediately left the rally and slowly drove home and performed the usual clean up with the vacuum and air gun. No harm, no foul, but it scared me when I first popped the hood. It looked like a desert dune buggy engine bay.

Unless one lives in an extremely dusty area or regularly drives on a dirt road, the C5 engine bay can be kept immaculate with just a simple regular routine that pretty much amounts to vacuuming, dusting and wiping down. Usually takes 10 minutes.

Last edited by B747VET; 03-22-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 Engine Detaling

Quick Reply: C-5 Engine Detaling