Sponsored by:

Borla sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
schulte26
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Borla sound

I'm looking to upgrade my '02 exhaust to a Borla system. I want a nice sound but I don't want an over aggressive sound during cruising time. I'm looking at either the Borla stinger or the Borla touring. What do you think forum?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

that listening to them in real life is your best bet. corsa also has the least drone of the major brands.

exhausts are more of a fashion thing. you have to buy what appeals to you
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted the Borla Stingers but went with the Corsa Pace Car (Sport) because I didn't want to deal with drone.

Then I find that Borla now makes exhaust that doesn't drone. What timing.

Anyway, if you're considering upgrading the exhaust, you might as well go for the stingers if you go Borla. If you go Corsa, get the Pace Car.

I found that listening to exhaust systems on YouTube gives at least a rough idea of how some of these sound.

If you have access to a local Corvette Club, they'll probably be happy to let you listen to various brands/models. A Corvette show would also be a good source for brief demos.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM
sand41
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the borla touring last year and it has no drone on the highway mild sound until you hit the pedal then in my wife's words she said it sounds like its growling, I'm running stock manifolds and h pipe but plan on getting headers and x pipe which will make it growl a little louder lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sand41
I bought the borla touring last year and it has no drone on the highway mild sound until you hit the pedal then in my wife's words she said it sounds like its growling, I'm running stock manifolds and h pipe but plan on getting headers and x pipe which will make it growl a little louder lol.
Growling. Good stuff!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 AM
thepitstop2010
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running a set of older Borla stingers along with a set of LG longtubes w/ high flow cats. I must say that it's pretty LOUD.... My wife says that I ruinned it..... I really like the way it sounds. Almost like a street bike kind of sound. If anything it sures tell those mustangs that we don't play well with others...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

make sure you listen to cars that have the various types of exhaust. Thats the only way and dont just jump in the boat after a few. I have Flowmasters on my 03 and always get complements it has less exotic more oldschool sound. go to a cruise or something and see whats out there. You can also find clips on U_Tube of most of the various pipe sets my .02

Last edited by oldschoolvette; 03-21-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: word tech
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sand41
I have Borla stinger with stock manifolds as well. I don't understand the drone complaints with these systems. Wht good are they if you can't hear them? I can cruise on the highway, hear the rumble and still have a conversation.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
make sure you listen to cars that have the various types of exhaust. Thats the only way and dont just jump in the boat after a few. I have Flowmasters on my 03 and always get complements it has less exotic more oldschool sound. go to a cruise or something and see whats out there. You can also find clips on U_Tube of most of the various pipe sets my .02
Good advice about the cruise. I had Flowmaster 50's on my C4 and you knew it was there but it wasn't over the top loud. If it was idling and you were standing by it you could actually feel the vibration in your legs though.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
I don't understand the drone complaints with these systems. Wht good are they if you can't hear them? I can cruise on the highway, hear the rumble and still have a conversation.
Please don't confuse drone and rumble. Rumble's good - that's one reason we buy aftermarket exhausts.

Drone, if I'm not mistaken, is the sound of various parts of your car, ie: dashboard, console, interior panels, speakers, etc, vibrating from resonant frequencies generated by the exhaust system at certain revs - usually right around the speed you want to travel.

As your RPM increases, the drone begins, then gets louder till it peaks, (and drives one crazy) then gets quieter.

For me, I had a car (non-'Vette) that began to drone at 65 mph, peaked at 70, and trailed off at 75. Driving less than 65 seemed too slow, and driving greater than 75 seemed too fast. So I was stuck driving in the dreaded "drone zone."

Experts, please correct any flaws in my understanding and/or explanation.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
I have Borla stinger with stock manifolds as well. I don't understand the drone complaints with these systems. Wht good are they if you can't hear them? I can cruise on the highway, hear the rumble and still have a conversation.
Add headers & hi-flow cats w/x pipe. 1450 - 1600 rpm in 6th gear on the highway is drone-'ish.
Anything outside those RPM range sounds like audio-gold.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never been inside of a C5 with either the Borla stingers or Corsa systems, but I have heard countless numbers of them while driving around shows and in traffic. My opinion on the difference in sound is the corsa systems have a motorboat sound while the borla's have a more of a muscle car sound. At wide open throttle the corsa sounds a little more european exotic while the borla's have a more deeper tone.

My personal favorite is the stingers, but then again I'm running Borla straight pipes with no muffler with dynatech longtube headers with high flow cats and x-pipe and a cam, so I love a loud exhaust. This might not be everyones favorite but I can't tell you how many times I've been approached at shows and cruise nights and have been asked what I'm running and that it sounds amazing.

I think you will be very happy with the stingers, as most of the people I have talked too who have them love them. I think the touring will be a little too tame for you.

Here's a sound clip of my exhaust;

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BENO...tClip.mp4.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BENO...11016.mp4.html

Last edited by MG RED 99; 03-21-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=s'noJob;1583421653]Please don't confuse drone and rumble. Rumble's good - that's one reason we buy aftermarket exhausts.

Drone, if I'm not mistaken, is the sound of various parts of your car, ie: dashboard, console, interior panels, speakers, etc, vibrating from resonant frequencies generated by the exhaust system at certain revs - usually right around the speed you want to travel.

You mean like those ridiculous stereo systems with the subs?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by timmmmay
Add headers & hi-flow cats w/x pipe. 1450 - 1600 rpm in 6th gear on the highway is drone-'ish.
Anything outside those RPM range sounds like audio-gold.
Well, since I have no intention of adding that stuff, I'm happy with the sound of my system.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I like the sound of Billy Boat Route 66 . . had that on my C6 and it's on the C5 along with a Bassani cross pipe - - nice polite rumble, kicks butt on WOT and burbles on decel . . .no drone on the highway

sound bites from their website:

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c5/
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
kedwin
Melting Slicks

I have the Borla touring and its not too loud but a good growell
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
HBbadb0y
Advanced

Originally Posted by s'noJob
Please don't confuse drone and rumble. Rumble's good - that's one reason we buy aftermarket exhausts.

As your RPM increases, the drone begins, then gets louder till it peaks, (and drives one crazy) then gets quieter.

For me, I had a car (non-'Vette) that began to drone at 65 mph, peaked at 70, and trailed off at 75. Driving less than 65 seemed too slow, and driving greater than 75 seemed too fast. So I was stuck driving in the dreaded "drone zone."

Experts, please correct any flaws in my understanding and/or explanation.

I have stingers as well and although I don't have longtubes, I don't notice drone. I have made plenty road trips as well with no complaints.

Get notified of new replies

To Borla sound

Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
andy9743
Racer

lg longtubes, catless x, small cam and stingers is the current set up...i had shorty headers, stock h and slp loudmoths and it was unbearable. the current set up has some drone, but when you open it up it unreal. i would not hesitate to put stingers on again!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Chriscam21
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Corsa Pace Car with X Pipe - I get compliments all the time, everyone loves the sound of my car. You can hear it inside when you get on it, but at cruising speeds you hardly hear it. Great on the freeway, no drone at all.

I have the Tiger Shark Tips, pain in axx to line up, looks great!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Dave Sweatt
Racer

i have the stingers and had some drone at around 1600 RPM until I did the X pipe. I'd recommend you add it while you're changing, not that much more.

Quick Reply: Borla sound