Road Trip Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Trip Advice Sought

Hi All:

After a couple of bouts with the "Big C", it turns out the chemo has toasted my kidneys. With dialysis right around the corner, I want to take a last road trip before I get tied to a machine (just giving the above information to forestall the "Why don't you wait and go in a couple of months when the weather warms up, idiot?" comments ).

Anyway, so where.....?

I'm in the Detroit area so probably not New England in this weather and since we have a house at the beach in NC, south is kind of been there, done that. That leaves west/southwest I guess and I'm thinking in general terms of a route that would encompass down to San Antonio, Austin, Padre Islands, up to the Route 66 segment around Kingman then up through Colorado and north as far as weather will permit and then back east through Iowa or thereabouts. I'm thinking I have about a week or ten days to plan and then 2-3 weeks before I have to be back.

Obviously one can look at a map and get general ideas but does anyone have a recommendations of must see/must drive places along that general route they'd like to recommend? Any and all advice will be gladly received and I'll even post pics along the way and when I get back.

Thanks
Charles
Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Sorry to hear about the illness.

I would suggest you spend a day or two in San Antonio on the Riverwalk, taking the boat tour (it's really cool) and visiting the Alamo. From there take the route you planned and head to Lake Tahoe, spending a few days enjoying everything it has to offer before heading to the Pacific Coast Highway, Hwy 101. Take that all the way down to San Francisco, spend a few days (at least, there's a ton to see in SF), and then follow it the rest of the way to LA. The PCH is the most scenic highway in the world according to all the experts, and having grown up in Cali I have to agree with them. From LA you can make a slow drive on back up to MI.

From the direction you'll be coming you'll pass through the Dallas area. If you can plan it for a Sunday stop in at the Collin County Corvette Club get together that we have every week. I would suggest you try to visit with as many Corvette clubs as you can while on your route.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
cpaxson
Advanced

Thanks Ed:
I remember San Antonio Riverwalk well, I was at Ft. Sam Houston for medic training back in the late '60's. Agree the PCH, especially around Big Sur and up the Oregon Coast is spectacular but didn't want to get as far west as CA this time around. Great suggestions.
This forum is the best.
Charles
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Have a great time and I agree with you.....do it now. There's no time like the present to do anything. Have fun.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts
Oldtimer

Not sure what you like or where you've been but a trip including Sedona (sunrise hotair balloon ride is fantastic) and cruise through the red rock mountains, the Grand Canyon (helicopter ride is mandatory!), Hoover Dam, Vegas, would be a great trip. A ton more to do in that area if you have the time and $

Sorry to hear about your bout - kick it's azz!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,393 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry about your medical diagnosis, but you are wise to take the trip now when things will not be so complicated. Good luck on your trip and have a blast.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Take that trip, and enjoy every moment....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Haxzaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be more difficult later, but not impossible. Talk to your Nephrologist about dialysis at other locations, and you can set up appointments along the way. No need to be locked into where you live.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you go to Texas you can head West to Sedona in Az an awesome place as mentioned above. Next head up to Grand Canyon , after that i would suggest heading to Utah to visit Bryce & Zion Nat'l Parks. After that I would suggest driving the Escalante Grand Stairway - it is an incredible drive in a Vette full of twisties, steeps , elevation changes, incredible views and lots of switchbacks ( I've driven the Tail of the Dragon, Cherhola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway , Skyline Drive and Cabot Trail and none of these compare IMHO ) next stop would be Natural Archs Nat'l Park and Canyonlands Nat'l Parks. From here I would head North thru Colorado up to Rocky Mt Nat'l park. Head up to Wyoming next to Grand Teton Nat'l park and Yellowstone. From there you can drive to Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana ( depending on when u get there - there is an incredible drive The Going to the Sun Hiway but it might be still buried by snow so check in advance ). If you decide to skip Glacier you can head East from Yellowstone to Devils Tower in Wyoming. Heading East into So Dakota you can visit Mt Rushmore , the Crazy Horse Memorial ( awesome ) and drive The Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway a nice road full of twisties and beautiful views . Next Stop would be the Badlands Nat'l Park ( incredible place ) and then head back to Michigan. I did most of this when I brought my Vette home from Los Angeles to NH and it was an incredible drive.

Last edited by Bobd207s; 03-20-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 AM
hoosiervette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I agree with Sedona if you are going that far west. If weather permits, the Black Hills area in South Dakota is worth the trip. Good luck with your treatments. I hope you feel better soon. I will add you to my prayer list.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

sorry to hear about this.

If you have never driven the Dragons Tail in NC that should go on list. Weather is nice here in FL and a trip to Keys is a nice drive.

In the end just go out and run the wheels of of it.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

There are five National Parks here in Utah but you must seen the Grand Canyon on any trip out this way. It's just something not to miss if you've never seen it. Good luck with the medical issues and let us know how you do. It would be fun to see pics of your trip.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Go to a place you have always wanted to go. IMO a vette trip is cool, but I suggest taking a personal trip in the vette. Hope you get my meaning.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Trip Advice Sought

Quick Reply: Road Trip Advice Sought