Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel rail/coil covers...my experiment

Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 PM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel rail/coil covers...my experiment

This is my attempt/experiment at smoothing my fuel rail covers or coil covers.... what ever you want to call them.....I am by no means an expert...this is my amateur attempt at doing something myself and having the satisfaction of doing it myself....and of course this might not be everyone's cup of tea...if you have any experience or suggestions please let me know...

this is how they started..

this is the back side...you can see the void or emboss of the lines..

this shows a bit of sanding of the grooves on the backside

this is the cleaner/prep spray i used after sanding....i also used alcohol as a cleaner..

this is what i used to back fill the embossed lines/grooves...I got this stuff from my local body shop supply store..

this is how it looked after i mixed part A and part B.....did this a few times to fill the voids

Taping around the lines/grooves. I used a dremel style tool to remove the embossed lines/5.7. I used tape so that if I slipped with the dremel tool that I wouldnt mess up/ or dig into the surface of the cover. Tape help make a barrier/protection. I used a dremel style tool to remove as much as possible of the lines/5.7,...but not to go to far as to create unnecessary divits or deep spots

How it looked after I used the dremel style tool and then also used a D/A sander to help smooth it out....

just a comparison between the original and the one with no lines

this picture shows some more sanding and using the dremel to remove the paint from the corvette area. I used a little bit of bondo filler to help me see the areas that needed more sanding. I also beveled the edges of the Corvette logo to help with smoothness of the epoxy and sanding.

This shows me using the epoxy a few times.....filling as needed...sanding....filling as needed...sanding.....and so on...you get the idea...

this is after a bit of sanding and filling

this is a some primer applied...

at this point I've primered and sanded a few times to get everything smooth.

here is some color applied, I ended up using Victory Red to match the calipers....this shows a couple coats of color....

here is a few coats of clear coat applied

after the clear coats dried I thought it looked good but I didnt like the orange peel look so I wet sanded it using 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000 grit sand paper.

These images show the before and after of wet sanding and buffing, you can see the orange peel is gone and the covers look much smoother.

Ready to be installed

And the long awaited .....on the car

Last edited by 1lowc5; 03-19-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Good job, I tried to do a set once and I found after I was done that I needed a lot of reinforcement on the underside, Mine just ended up cracking and I ended up just putting them in the trash.
Mr.Bill
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like you're doing a good job.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

It is encouraging to see people take the leap and take on a project.

just go slow and be carefull what choices you make for paint. use several light coats

so far so good post pics when you are done
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,207 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great job so far. Hopefully you'll post up more pics as you now go into the final parts of your DIY project.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Wow! They look awesome. That's a lot of work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM
DeeHutch
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work! What are your finished plans?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Good job, I tried to do a set once and I found after I was done that I needed a lot of reinforcement on the underside, Mine just ended up cracking and I ended up just putting them in the trash.
Mr.Bill
What did you replace them with? I painted mine and now the one on the dr. side near the manifold is bubbling. I like those ovalized metal covers I've seen but I hate the cost. Wonder how they are mounted.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM
1lowc5
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments everyone.........hoping to have these things done this week.....i'll keep snapping pics as I go..

Originally Posted by DeeHutch
Nice work! What are your finished plans?
I'm not 100% sure yet.....I was thinking probably paint them red since my car is speedway white...I also considered painting them speedway white but not sold on that yet. I don't want to much of the same color, at least that's what my mind is telling me.

I also considered hydro dipping them but I would have to pay someone else to do that, which is why I will probably just paint them for now and maybe in the future I can hydro dip them if I want.

Last edited by 1lowc5; 03-17-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice work!

I relocated my coil covers....I just can't remember where I relocated them to...

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by chasboy
What did you replace them with? I painted mine and now the one on the dr. side near the manifold is bubbling. I like those ovalized metal covers I've seen but I hate the cost. Wonder how they are mounted.
I NEED HELP!! I just looked at mine, and the bubbling is worse than ever, and on the other cover the lettering is bubbling, but nothing else. I don't know where to start! The original surface is now sanded for the paint so I know I HAVE to repaint, but with what?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

I NEED HELP!! I just looked at mine, and the bubbling is worse than ever, and on the other cover the lettering is bubbling, but nothing else. I don't know where to start! The original surface is now sanded for the paint so I know I HAVE to repaint, but with what?
Engine enamel
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
Engine enamel
Makes sense
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Nice work!

I relocated my coil covers....I just can't remember where I relocated them to...

badass
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

my only suggestion from past endeavors is to make sure you completely remove the bad paint otherwise it will show back up eventually. As far as paint goes everyone always suggest to use the same brand of paint the whole process....I've always had good luck with Duplicolor paint from Orielly's and that's what I will use when its time to paint mine.

As far and the suggestion to use Engine Enamel...my question is this...you use engine enamel because it handles the heat better which makes sense, but if you use clear coat are you defeating the purpose? does the clear coat handle the heat the same as engine enamel or does it handle the heat as regular paint would?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 AM
SuperDave02
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did mine a while back. Engine primer sealer, then Red Engine enamel with two coats of clear. The logos were made by local tint shop.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SuperDave02
Did mine a while back. Engine primer sealer, then Red Engine enamel with two coats of clear. The logos were made by local tint shop.
thats a cool look

Get notified of new replies

To fuel rail/coil covers...my experiment

Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for sharing the process great DIY
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Nice work!

I had to replace my stock covers years ago when I did my supercharger. I'm getting kind of tired of them and would love to to go with just custom valve covers, but I've been told the bolt pattern is different on '98 heads than later years and they're hard to find.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by SuperDave02
Dave, what brand of paint did you use? Did you allow for a lot of drying time between coats? Is the clear engine enamel too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel rail/coil covers...my experiment