Sponsored by:

C5 Choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 Choices

Well got some choices to work through the next week or so and then might be making a purchase....but as always it is money vs options vs mileage vs year...etc.

each has its strong points....each has a negative. looking for some experience on similar vehicles with similar mileage from the masses;

What I want.....50th Anniv Edition or a Commemorative Edition...prefer coupe but would consider vert....want auto but would take M6 if right car...prefer mileage below 60k.

Here is what I am going to be choosing from unless I back off and wait longer--

04 double black coupe, 2k miles, auto trans, 1SB, coupe, 1 owner car, good records, all original....everything operational with good deep shine on paint and good to very good interior. $32k (price a little high but car is not even broken in yet and already out of warranty...black on black can be hot but some good ceramic tint or other will fix that a bit...but like a new car, literally)

04 Comm Edition, 1SC, 30k miles, auto trans, 1 owner, great all around, convertible, new top....$30k (price is a little higher than I want but great car...but vert is second behind coupe...how are they for being in weather...as will be driven regular here in southeast)

03 1SC 50th Anniv Edition, Auto trans, coupe, good records, 83K miles, great paint and interior with deep shine and no tears or rips, 2 owner car, daily driver, $24k (everything I want except higher mileage but paint and interior condition suggest very well taken care of with no smoking or musty smells..immaculate car)

03 1SB, Elec Blue with Lt Gray, auto trans, 32k miles, coupe, great interior and very good paint, 2 owner, $28k (about right on everything...price a little high for mileage I think...)

I really want a nice 50th coupe....but even though these small blocks are outstanding and this car appears to be pampered...it does have some miles. Thoughts?

The 03 in Elect Blue is great care, about right on mileage...not a 50th but a striking car......but not a Commemorative Edition...just a pretty car.

The 04 Comm Edition is beautiful...deep shine, great interior...everything looks perfect...just worry about convertible that wont be in the garage 100% of time, little higher but might be able to get them down a little...but then again it is a vert. if it was a 6 speed I would move it to top of list actually.

Then the double black...price little high but car is virtually brand new...and that black paint has great shine now but how will it handle our hot summers here in South Carolina....haha

Appreciate any feedback....with personal experience based on mileage, colors, convertible vs coupe (car will not be garage queen but 3-4 day a week driver...maybe more...I drive and ride my vehicles and bikes...cant stand to let them sit and dry rot)......

Thanks...
Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All of those prices look pretty high by about $3K IMO.

None of them bad choices, since its in your budget I would try to get a car with less than 50K miles, especially a commemorative or 50th, since they probably lose a lot of value when they get up into the 100K mile range.

I'd throw in some offers for what you think the cars are worth (not what they're listed at) and see if you get some bites. My personal preference would be the commemorative, but I also just don't care for the deep red anniversary corvette color, and a normal person would have no idea that the 50th is a "special" corvette, unlike the commemorative which is visually striking to anyone.

I was hesitant about getting my vert, but I'm glad I did. One of the best engineered convertibles on the road. Top seals well, not noisy, does just fine in the rain.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Couldn't find it on a quick google search, do non-Z06 commemorative C5s also have the hood stripes?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Brock63
Instructor

No they do not just the solid electa blue deep shine paint
Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Don't settle for less than the perfect car for you. You are willing to spend enough to get it, it's just a matter of finding it. The hunt is part of the fun. Make a list of what you want and go for it, when you find it you will never be sorry.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this after all my battles against low ballers on the forum, but all those prices are higher than they're bringing right now. I sold an 03 Anniv Convert with 18,000 miles with some extra stuff thrown in that was garage kept and perfect for $27K and several on here thought that was too much. I've seen very nice 04 Commemorative Coupes in the low $20's which also suprises me.
I would question why the 04 Commemorative conv you say has 30K miles would have needed a new top. If you want my advice, shop around and keep looking for what you want and don't take something you aren't really sold on.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
Couldn't find it on a quick google search, do non-Z06 commemorative C5s also have the hood stripes?
Only the Z has the stripes from the factory. If they are on a Coupe or a Vert thay have been added.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

OP Expand your search.. Those prices are crazy.. I would suggest looking in the Philly / Central Jersey area.. C5 prices are still dropping..
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you decide what you really want for a car first. Then expand the search to find what you want inside you price range. That way you are truely happy. there are dals out there. just look at a broader market.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suthunman
Don't settle for less than the perfect car for you. You are willing to spend enough to get it, it's just a matter of finding it. The hunt is part of the fun. Make a list of what you want and go for it, when you find it you will never be sorry.
You've had some good advice, but what is it you REALLY want? The hunt is really part of the fun! My advice, don't settle. Down the road, you'll always wish you'd waited for "the one". When you find it, you'll know.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM
routeman007
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I agree! Enjoy the hunt. There's nothing like it. Then you can enjoy the drive home in the car of your dreams. And, 'There's nothing like that!"

"Happy Hunting!"
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Those asking prices are insane!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Brock63
Instructor

Thanks guys...think I will check these over but go for a Commemorative Edition coupe/vert or 50th Anniv Edition coupe/vert in my mileage range. If the 04 Comm Edition is good in every way and the reason for the new top is it tore or mildewed or was cut by a vandal might consider getting it if I can get the price down to maybe $26k. Thanks again....

That being said....i might get blown away by something unexpected. The only definitives I have is I dont want torch red or yellow exteriors....nor red interiors. You never know...hahahaha. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 245 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

*** Caveat: I am in NO way affiliated with John or his business other than having been a very happy customer for the last 15 or so years and 3 cars worth.

If you're willing to travel, John at Lomotion in Poughkeepsie, NY has every car you mentioned on his showroom floor and they are all showroom condition with VERY low miles. I don't recall exactly but I think 4000 miles was the highest I saw when I stopped by yesterday.

Every single car he sells has ALL fluids changed and he/they go over the car with a fine tooth comb.

Every single car he sells looks as good all over as mine when I picked it up.

Pictures here: http://www.lomotionauto.com/-2003-co...lomotion-.html

(his website isn't up to date with all of the new cars on his floor)

It'd be a heck of a drive for service but I promise you a quality car. He doesn't give them away though so if you're looking for a low dollar car... don't bother. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is generally proven true in the long run. There's another one that typically runs true as well: "The cheap usually ends up to to be expensive"

Good luck
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM
SeattleVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first Vette last year... A 2700 mile millennium yellow 04 convert with pretty much every option including magnetic ride. $31K. I looked everywhere for about 6 months for this car and I considered other colors, options, etc. Every time I looked at something different I came close to buying them, but then kept telling myself... wait and you will get exactly what you want. In the end, I'm really glad I waited as I intend to keep this car until I simply can't drive it anymore. Also, I had many people who told me $31K was too much for the car. It could be, but to me it was worth every penny as I got exactly what I was looking for. I would rather pay a little more and never have to say I shoud have bought something else.

Good things do come to those who wait.

OJ
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

JUst couldn't resist,,,the main problem I saw was "auto trans",,Manual 6speed the only way to fly!
Seriously,as stated,they seem a little high,and I'm always a little suspicious of low mile cars. Might want too check that link where the fluids have been changed. A lot of sitting is NOT good for cars.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

First off, those prices are way too high for those cars. The market just isn't that strong to bring that kind of cash IMO. You really need to narrow down just what you are looking for in a C5 - try test driving a number of them to tell whether you want a 6-speed or auto, what options you would want, etc. That way you're ready when you do find some cars that interest you.

Nothing at all wrong with an automatic equipped car - my first two C5s were 6 speeds and now I have an automatic and it is just as enjoyable to drive as the others.

Don't be afraid to expand your search too - I traveled from mid-Missouri to NJ to get mine. And if you really want an Anniversary Red '03, then concentrate on that - you'll be much happier in the end. But I can tell you, the Electron Blue color is very, very nice.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Choices

Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM
allred
Drifting

You want a low mileage 50th Anniversary Edition Coupe...............so only look at low mileage 50th Anniversary coupes, don't get distracted with cars that you really don't want.

There are plenty of 50ths out there, and you will be able to find several with less than 25K miles for less than $24,000.

Check Craigslist, check autotrader, check cargurus
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 245 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
But I can tell you, the Electron Blue color is very, very nice.
ah... truer words were never spoken...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Brock63
Instructor

Thanks for the words....

Going to drive them and right now the Comm Edition is top of my list of the ones mentioned and if really good dont mind paying a little more but it is going to have to be exceptional. I hate to admit it but the more I look at the electron blue the more I might like it more than 50th...just the 50th was the first one I saw and said....yeah that is it. I would be happy with either to be truthful....

thanks for options that were listed.

Quick Reply: C5 Choices