Sponsored by:

04 c5 corvette vs. 2011 challenger srt8 392

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 c5 corvette vs. 2011 challenger srt8 392

I have an torch red 04 c5 vette in a 6 speed. i've had it for over 2 years now and i have an opportunity to pick up a 2011 "green with envy" Challenger SRT8 392 with a 6 speed for real cheap. btw both cars have really low miles.

The only thing is that if i do go for the challenger, I'm gonna have to sell my vette. I know these two cars are in totally complete different categories, but as much as like the c7, i definitely dont want to try to get that,not until a z06 or something comes out.

My question is, Is it worth it for a challenger. If anyone has experience with it, how does it compare, (short drives as in commuting, acceleration, the feel of it when you're turning).

comments and opinions are greatly appreciated
Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't actually tell you first hand, but a friend of mine has literally the identical cars you mentioned. He drives his Challenger daily. I can tell it has plenty of street power and big enough to do things with it and handles well considering it's monster size. But he loves his vette which is all you see him drive. The Challanger isn't a fun car and not a touring car to want to go fast in and hit off ramps just not the same drivers car . this is him talking. I drove it a few times I kind of agree, it feels and looks heavy. When I get in my car after that boat it's just night and day.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I didn't like the Challenger steering wheel and the fact that it won't lower far enough for me not to feel like I was driving a semi-tractor. There's also the fact that Challengers are nearly as common as Mustangs are. I like the look of the Challenger, but I decided to go with a Corvette instead.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Since i'm a college student, i drive a lot nowadays, i love my vette, the growl, the stance, when it gets sunny, i take the targa top off a lot especially in the summer time. but the stance of the challenger is badass cuz it keeps it original with styling cues and it is a modern muscle car. A couple of my buddies and I mob around sometimes and i feel as if i kind of keep up with a few of them. and i would need to procharge the vette to fix that. haha.

I know the challenger has 470hp but is much heavier, but a corvette is uncomparable performance wise. Would you take the challenger as a DD or stick with the vette. Also on durability, how it would it compare.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:47 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Ten or twenty years from now, the 2004 C5 will still 'turn heads'. Little boys will dream of having one, girls will try to look their best as it drives by, and it will still be an awesome ride in all ways.

The other car will be, well; who cares?
The following users liked this post:
P_Chinnici (08-02-2020)
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Raza Khan

I know the challenger has 470hp but is much heavier, but a corvette is uncomparable performance wise. Would you take the challenger as a DD or stick with the vette. Also on durability, how it would it compare.
My Corvette is my daily driver. As far as durability goes you're trying to compare a 9-10 year-old car to a 2 year-old car. I can say that my 14 year-old Corvette has it's share of relatively minor problems, but the drivetrain still runs like a new car would. According to an article I read the other day on Yahoo! Challenger owners are reporting they're having to make quite a few trips to the dealer for repairs on a lot of the electronics.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Out here In Cali, Challenger r/t are a little common, but the camaros and mustangs are around every corner. obviously, challengers, camaros and mustangs are much cheaper, more people can fit, etc,, so they are common but i Do agree that the challenger sits too high and i know that if a person lowers it, the sport modes and what not, are not going to be as affective.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
My Corvette is my daily driver. As far as durability goes you're trying to compare a 9-10 year-old car to a 2 year-old car. I can say that my 14 year-old Corvette has it's share of relatively minor problems, but the drivetrain still runs like a new car would. According to an article I read the other day on Yahoo! Challenger owners are reporting they're having to make quite a few trips to the dealer for repairs on a lot of the electronics.
I know, i drive my vette daily. i take mines every where i go cuz i love showing it off. like the only problem i have with my vette is probably just the syncros on my second and i think my fifth gear is goin out and a few minor issues as well. But that's good to know that those with the challengers are having electrical issues.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

The Challanger is built on the 300 C platform, enough said!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2 different cars, I like my Challenger but the Vette is more fun to drive.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I believe there are rumors that Chrysler may drop the Challenger and replace it with the Barracuda.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone said what class do you want to be in or how classy. When it comes to the Vette well, enough said. You're even in the Mopar crowd which is limited or the Vette scene which will never go away. If you're into mods I'd have to say your limited when it comes to the challanger. I also like the look but IMHO consider the C5's look a body style that will always be the car to own. I guess it boils down to what class you want to belong to.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a similar situation..I have a '03 vert MN6 and a '05 SSr with the LS2 engine and have been split between the Vette and the SSr. At the end of the day it is aways the Vette that wins out as all other cars are just that, the Vette feel/looks like the sports car that it is, not some poser. One day ownership of the Challenger and you will feel you just got outta some other grocery getter and wish you kept the Corvette, believe me. Greetings, Rob
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm, get lot more attention in the Chally that I do in the Vette.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

There is no way I would trade a C5 for a Challenger.

Vette =

Challenger =

Now keep in mind, This is just my opinion on how I feel about the Challenger and Vette.

Mr.Bill
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
There is no way I would trade a C5 for a Challenger.

Vette =

Challenger =

Now keep in mind, This is just my opinion on how I feel about the Challenger and Vette.

Mr.Bill

my thoughts exactly....
Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I would never sell a Corvette to buy a Challenger but if you must I would say that the Challenger is nicer than the Camaro or Mustang. Looks more like a real retro car. But I will tell you I think in ten years the challenger won't draw as much attention as the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To 04 c5 corvette vs. 2011 challenger srt8 392

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

So you're asking whether you should sell a Vette to buy a Challenger . . . in a CORVETTE forum . . .what kind of response do you honestly think you would get?

Take Psych 101 guy - - if you gotta ask, you're looking for validation and you're not going to find it here.

I'm just guessing, but enjoy your Challenger.

Last edited by CQRT; 03-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CQRT
So you're asking whether you should sell a Vette to buy a Challenger . . . in a CORVETTE forum . . .what kind of response do you honestly think you would get?

Take Psych 101 guy - - if you gotta ask, you're looking for validation and you're not going to find it here.

I'm just guessing, but enjoy your Challenger.
I'm not really trying to validate that if i should go for a challenger but that how it would compare as a DD. But I always was hesitant to get a challenger because i felt like i would be downgrading, but i'm definitely sticking with my vette. like i said earlier, it doesnt compare
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't compare them because they are so different, other than both being cars.

If I could only have one I'd keep the Vette but i do like the looks of the Challenger. Not for being nearly as fun to drive but they do look good imo.

Quick Reply: 04 c5 corvette vs. 2011 challenger srt8 392