Sponsored by:

[Z06] Short Throw Shifter debate

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
deadcafe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMMAN
About $150 with the ****. My Z16 and I think all C5 ZO6's use metal instead of rubber at the shifter box mount. So you shouldn't need the bushing upgrade kit.
Additionally, The RSD is 246.00 ish,
The TPS 427 is 170ish
Gene Culleys GM Parts House it is for 146.00 all I have to do is cut the lever down and re thread it... That is not bad then I can try to sell the Hurst..75 to 100 bucks probably.
Hmmmmm
With the shifter box..
Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 PM
2003corvettez06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had MGW shifter on my previous car which was 03 mustang GT and the MGW was super precise and firm loved it.

Having RSD now in the C5Z throws are longer and a LOT smoother.

For Daily driving around town RSD
For Racing MGW
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM
fxdl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
You guys correct me if I am wrong, but the throw of the shifter is only shorter because the handle is shorter. For the transmission to be engaged the lower portion inside the tranny still has to travel the same distance. The throw just seems shorter because the handle is shorter and thus doesn't travel as far. The shifting mechanisms which fit into the tranny still travel the same distance with each shift.
I think that not only is the shifter a bit shorter but I believe they raise the pivot point in the new billet shifter box to gain less movement at the top but more at the bottom. That's the reason it takes more muscle to shift with a comp shifter. It's a trade off or compromise but I think it's worth the extra muscle for the shorter throw.
I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A shifter is just a feel good mod, once practiced with the stocker any aftermarket won't increase your shift times. It may feel better for some, I like the Kirban, but the quickness of the shift is limited by the clutch action.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 AM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ctusser
A shifter is just a feel good mod, once practiced with the stocker any aftermarket won't increase your shift times. It may feel better for some, I like the Kirban, but the quickness of the shift is limited by the clutch action.
Yes, but a better "feeling" shift is exactly why so many go with an
aftermarket shifter of one sort or another. Finding the one that has
that "just right" feel makes driving a more pleasurable experience.
Wayne
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM
deadcafe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WayneCar
Yes, but a better "feeling" shift is exactly why so many go with an
aftermarket shifter of one sort or another. Finding the one that has
that "just right" feel makes driving a more pleasurable experience.
Wayne
Hell yeah WayneCar I definetly feel good when I shift and it is smooth and fast with a light click to ensure gear seating. VS a hard click and a shifter the has 40lbs of spring seating keeping it in neutral!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The best thing about aftermarket shifters such as the MGW is that it protects your shift forks from slamming the gears, especially when you are drag racing.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
The best thing about aftermarket shifters such as the MGW is that it protects your shift forks from slamming the gears, especially when you are drag racing.
True, another reason I like the Kirban, adjustable shift stops. I bent the aluminum fork when I was using the MTI six shooter, and had to rebuild the tranny, but with better guts.

Last edited by ctusser; 03-18-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdl
I think that not only is the shifter a bit shorter but I believe they raise the pivot point in the new billet shifter box to gain less movement at the top but more at the bottom. That's the reason it takes more muscle to shift with a comp shifter. It's a trade off or compromise but I think it's worth the extra muscle for the shorter throw.
I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
It's more than just a shorter handle.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
deadcafe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skyavonee
It's more than just a shorter handle.
hink if I were a pro on the track, I would want as short of a shift as possible. But I am a guy on the street so looks and feel are what I am most concerned about. I dont want to dislocate my shoulder whild shoving it in Reverse to leave the Grocery Store!!!!LOL. It is a Corvette not a Oval track racer...Besides Slow and Smooth is Accurate and Accurate is FAST.
I think I am leaning towards the C6 Shifter from Gene Culley.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

So the difference between the RSD and TPS 427x is that the RSD comes with the box and the TPS doesn't? But they're both shortened shifters? Are they both 2012? I don't understand how just throwing the shorter shifter that's angled differently in my old box will make the shifts smoother.

Gene Culley's at the GM Parthshouse comes with a new box but is not shortened?

So what makes the shifts smoother then? I'm curious cause my stock shifter is horrible and I'm looking to do this ASAP.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

True, another reason I like the Kirban, adjustable shift stops. I bent the aluminum fork when I was using the MTI six shooter, and had to rebuild the tranny, but with better guts.
The MGW also has adjustable shift stops.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I really like my B&M Sport shifter. I have yet to miss a gear and it is completely rattle free due to the isolated shift lever. I was missing gears all the time with the stocker. I was about to go with the MGW until I found out that the stock rubber shift boot would need to be cut. I wanted to keep the option of going back to stock if I wanted to. All the others allowed me to do that except the MGW. Don't get me wrong, it's looks like an extremely well designed shift assembly but it just looks overly fancy and heavy for a shift lever that gets hidden under a leather shift boot.

PS: Most of the time, hard/ notchy shifts have nothing to do with the type of shifter you have. 90% of shifting problems can be cured with a shifter box realignment and/or new shifter box.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Konrad
So the difference between the RSD and TPS 427x is that the RSD comes with the box and the TPS doesn't? But they're both shortened shifters? Are they both 2012? I don't understand how just throwing the shorter shifter that's angled differently in my old box will make the shifts smoother.

Gene Culley's at the GM Parthshouse comes with a new box but is not shortened?

So what makes the shifts smoother then? I'm curious cause my stock shifter is horrible and I'm looking to do this ASAP.

Thanks
It's the box that helps with smoother shifts. MGW has installation videos that explains why you would want to replace the shifter box. Basically, over time, the heat in the tunnel affects the rubber mounts and the seals in the box. It's because of this I went with an RSD Snap Shifter over the TPS 427x in my 2003 Z06.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
RMB97LS1
Pro

I just installed the TPS Attack and am very pleased. Good quality and great price. The slopiness of the stock shifter is gone, but it does take a bit more muscle to find the gears. That's what I wanted though..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

MGW is awesome
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The RSD is not a true short throw shifter but its a good option for more precise shifter without the drawbacks of a true short throw shifter. I have had C6Z, hurst and now have B&M ripper and I love it.

Get notified of new replies

To Short Throw Shifter debate

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan1546
I have an MTI six shooter and it sounds like it may be exactly what your looking for. There is really no increase in shift effort, but the shifts are shorter and more precise with very minimal notchiness.
I track my 02Z with the MTI six shooter....very smooth and accurate. I visited MTI Racing and saw their shop and CNC machines where they design and make their own parts. As true corvette racers these guys design,test and run what they sell.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I have been running the RSD snap Shifter for about 3 yrs.. Love it in my modded C5Z..

Originally Posted by deadcafe
I currently have an 03 Z with minor bolt ons, LG pro's/Corsa Extreme, Black Wing CAI , Textralia OZ700 clutch package, HS trunion upgrade, Comp Cams Beehive's and an ECS tune. Installed is the stock C5 Shift Box and a Hurst Shifter of which I am very unimpressed with.

I have been considering 3 options, but let me tell you what I dont like about the Hurst;

1. Sometimes it will not go into gear unless I let out the clutch a bit.
2. Very Notchy .
3. Has a lot of road noise vibration.
4. Stiff shifts.
5. I missed 3rd on a couple occasions and at other times notice some gears hard to find.
6. Reverse takes an arm to engage

What I want;

1. I want smooth butter smooth shifts with a simple click
2. Easy gear location
3. Directed shifts 1-2-3-4.
4. I dont want reverse to be a Bit@#
5. I would like for my wife to be able to drive this, as she also loves a sports car..

So my current choices are

MGW
Kirban Kwik
RSD Snap.....leaning towards this one..

What do you guys think?

Last edited by TXGS507; 04-09-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

I couldn't find just want I wanted (10 years ago), I did buy a B&M and made what I thought was a big mistake by shortening the leave by an inch. It just didn't work for me. I did look at the fulcrum points that B&M used and modified a stock shifter by extending the lower end of the shifter by 1/4 inch, I then raised the pivot point by a 1/4 inch and tried it. The throughs were shorter by a third, but it still didn't have the feel that I wanted.

I then took the B&M, and added a stock length rubber mounted leaver,(that fit over the shorted B&M leaver) changed out the springs to a harder left pull (1-2 gate) and a very soft right gate (5-6 gate) spring. I then did the same 1/4" extension to the lower (below the fulcrum) and raised the pivot pint the same. I also went to a DTM tall shift **** that now has the top of the shift handle almost even with the center of the steering wheel (this reduced the reach from the wheel to shifter) With the longer upper leaver, and extended lower, the throughs are as short as the standard B&M shifter, with great feel for the gates. A slightly heaver pull to the left (1-2) self centering by the heaver spring on the left for(3-4) and a very smooth (4 to 5 to 6) because of the very very light spring on the right gates.

There is no vibration, no noise or rattling...just nice short throughs, with what I feel is a very direct feel for each gear selection, with a minimal reach from the steering wheel to leaver.

Not the every day short stub shifter that most form members seem to be using, but it works for me.

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 04-09-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Short Throw Shifter debate