Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please read need advise with gears and stahl !!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM
SKCHEEE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read need advise with gears and stahl !!!!!!!!

Hey everyone I have a 2002 c5 with cam fast intake headers and I just bought a set of 3:42 gears and yank SS 3200 stahl convertor my problem is the install kit for the differential is on back order and may be 3-5 months my buddy was putting stahl and gears in for $1000 and I would have 600 in gears,install kit . Or should I take it to RPM TRANSMISSION. For around $2000 and that's including them slapping my convertor in while they already have everything apart . My next question is would it be worth all that money to go from a 3:15 to a 3:42 ??? Or would a 3:15 gear and a Yank SS 3200 stahl be a good combo ????
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would advise you to ignore the previous responses and just get the correct converter to get the stall rpm you are after. Keep in mind that a 3200 rpm stall with 3:15 gears won't give 3200 rpm stall with 3:42 gears. If you change the weight, gear ratio or torque/hp output you will get different stall speeds with the same converter.

I don't see much value in changing from 3:15's to 3:42's. Do you plan on changing the rear tire diameter? Lots to think about before you drop your hard earned money down.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyavette
I would advise you to ignore the previous responses and just get the correct converter to get the stall rpm you are after. Keep in mind that a 3200 rpm stall with 3:15 gears won't give 3200 rpm stall with 3:42 gears. If you change the weight, gear ratio or torque/hp output you will get different stall speeds with the same converter.

I don't see much value in changing from 3:15's to 3:42's. Do you plan on changing the rear tire diameter? Lots to think about before you drop your hard earned money down.
there is value goin from 3.15 to 3.42 but It Aint Much!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
SKCHEEE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyavette

I have changes the rim size on the rear I'm running a 19x10.5 with a 305/35/19 Mickey Thompson drag radial and that was more of my concern if it would make that big of a differnce to spend the money and switch to a 3:42 gear and also I don't plain on drag racing the car just playing around on the streets nothing serious I just want that combo with the stall and gears to be perfect !!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:52 AM
onlyavette
Pro

3:73, 3:90 or 4:10 depending on the tire diameter. Not that much of a change from 3:15 to 3:42. We're talking 125 rpm's at 60 mph and 300 rpm's at 120 mph.

The rim size doesn't matter. The outside diameter of the tire does though.

You are obviously drag racing so you need to consider the trap speed rpm. What rpm are you wanting to hit when you enter the traps? Select the tire diameter, gear ratio and stall speed that will work best with you engines h.p. and tq. curves.

The people you are getting your converter from should be able to help you with all of these decisions.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM
onlyavette
Pro

I didn't see the note about playing on the street. In that case it really isn't worth changing the gear. Difficult to hit "perfect" if you don't have a specific goal in mind. Playing around on the street is not a clear goal. To some that could mean laying down the longest patch of rubber ever seen in you part of town. I play around on the street sometimes in my fully restored Yugo Sana.

Last edited by onlyavette; 03-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Please read need advise with gears and stahl !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please read need advise with gears and stahl !!!!!!!!