Sponsored by:

Can I use different tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Can I use different tires?

I'm currently running pilot sport on my 99FRC The driver side front tire has some damage on the sidewall. Can I replace the two front tires to something other than run flats and run a combination of run flats on the rear and non run flat on the front. This tires have less than 15k on them. I hate to even have to replace the fronts,but got to think of safety.

Last edited by Dale002; 02-28-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

If they have less than 5k, why not just buy one tire of the same type to replace the damaged one?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If they have less than 5k, why not just buy one tire of the same type to replace the damaged one?
Not 5 ,Sorry 15k
Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I wouldn't mix run flats and non run flats but thats a personal thing. The run flats have very stiff sidewalls although the PS AS ZPs are not as stiff as the OEMs.

It can only affect the handling adversely if you do.

Mind you, if you do, having the stiffer sidewalls on the back is possibly the better option. I'd guess understeer but the guys who track their car are better qualified to comment.
JMHO.

Last edited by DeeGee; 02-28-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutly NOT ! Radials in front and stiff runflats in rear is a disaster waiting to happen,especially on a corvette. You could get away with it if it were the other way around but I wouldn t reccommend it.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
Not 5 ,Sorry 15k
In that case, you're going to have to evaluate your situation. How badly do you want to get rid of the run-flats? How much tread is left on the rears? You can put run-flats on the front now, but then you'll be in the same shape when the rears come up for change. Or, you can bite the bullet now and buy all four non-runflats. If you don't mind running run-flats, your cheapest option is going to be either find a used runflat that matches what you have, or replacing the fronts with run-flats.
Personally, I'm just a cruiser, so I wouldn't mind mixing the tire types temporarily until the rears were needed. But you may drive your car more agressively or in different weather conditions than I do.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

[quot
I wouldn t do it,

Last edited by Dixiecrat; 02-28-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 PM
DaDuck
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OP-I hate to even have to replace the fronts,but got to think of safety.

Really? You mention safety and then want to go cheap on tires??

You can get 4 non runflats for under $700 installed!!!!!

Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DaDuck
OP-I hate to even have to replace the fronts,but got to think of safety.

Really? You mention safety and then want to go cheap on tires??

You can get 4 non runflats for under $700 installed!!!!!

Dave
Where do you see Cheap! You must be reading someone elses post. I just wanted to know if I could mixed them. If i can't I would by four new ones. The Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP where more than $700. If I was cheap I would run the tire with light cut on the sidewall.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I see a lot of people saying they wouldnt mix the 2 but no facts or experience as to why. Do any of the naysayers have facts about what would happen if they were mixed? One guy posted that he did it without issue which sounds about right to me.

OP: if I were you I would do research elsewhere, maybe contact a tire company to find out for sure. Here you are mostly going to get opinions from people who really dont know. For the record, I also do not know.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 02z06dave
I see a lot of people saying they wouldn't mix the 2 but no facts or experience as to why. Do any of the naysayers have facts about what would happen if they were mixed? One guy posted that he did it without issue which sounds about right to me.

OP: if I were you I would do research elsewhere, maybe contact a tire company to find out for sure. Here you are mostly going to get opinions from people who realldon'tnt know. For the record, I also do not know.
Yesterday I email Tire rack and they said there would be no issues other that I would loose the protection of the run-flats. I know about some on here just post to post,but there are many that have good facts to follow their recommendation and thought I would ask anyway. One guy on here,on his own came to the conclusion that I'm cheap!. You got to laugh! I also spoke with another tire vendor who said that because the run-flats have such a thick sidewall, they are more durable to support some sidewall damage compare to normal tires which has very thin sidewalls.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Morris9
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When I bought my 03 it came with GY run-flats on the back and GY non run-flats on the front. I have had no handling problems at all. I auto-x mine and am a region champion, tho I would not reccomend run flats for this but that is what I had and used until they wore out. I also had the car up to 140mph at Talladega with no problems other than my wife screaming, the 33.5 degree banking is something else. I now have a set of Michelin Super Sports on but don't have enough miles on them to really evaluate how they handle yet but they are quiter than the GY's
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I'm in the same boat and I believe my back tires are OK, but I need fronts. I would love to get 1 or 2 more seasons out of the back if I can, so I want to go non run flats on the front only.

I'm not cheap, but frugal. I hate paying the hostage fee of run flats and will for sure change to non run flats for sure and I hate to replace all 4 when only 2 are needed.

So no one has any proof of this being wrong other than their opinion?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

I changed my front to non run flat and have no issues what so ever. I drive my car semi aggressive at most, 680 mile so far on them an all is well. The noise from the run flats on the back are very noticeable now.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Damillio
Instructor

There is no logical reason why that would be a hazard to safety. Two different fronts and rears is OK.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

2 comments and an example

1. I've run mixed tires, runflats on one axle and non runflats on the other. no problems on the street.

2. the only place i would see this posing a problem is on a track where handling characteristics and traction would be changed, not in a dangerous way but enough to drive accordingly. Also, if you track your car (auto x, HPDE) or drive that aggressively, you shouldn't be using runflats anyway.

In drag racing, they say never run a bias ply slick in the rear with radials up front. I run a pair of bias ET streets with gto skinnies with radials and it runs smooth and straight. I know many guys at the track every weekend that do the same and have never had an issue.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Tires are tires, one you can drive on semi flat, the other you can't. When full of air they both have traction. That's what you want.

My common sense meter tells me you can use whatever combination you want so long as they hold air and have traction.

They used to say you couldn't run radials with bias ply tires but I saw it done many times.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Tires are tires, one you can drive on semi flat, the other you can't. When full of air they both have traction. That's what you want.

My common sense meter tells me you can use whatever combination you want so long as they hold air and have traction.

They used to say you couldn't run radials with bias ply tires but I saw it done many times.

LOL.....common sense meter. Some people are still trying to figure out what it's for!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

I been mixing forever, I require different characteristics between the front and rear.
it does affect handling in comparison to have all four, since the front and rear will have a different "feel", but you will learn your car. It also depends on the type of driving you do, most people don't do that "type" of driving to even notice.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I use different tires?

Quick Reply: Can I use different tires?