Sponsored by:

My 2003 Z06 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

4th of July update. Here is how she is currently sitting.

The center console has been replaced with a non-cracked version and I've been experimenting with my old one. I think I'm going to paint it a nice gloss black. I'm also going to see how much a shop would do it for. All of my trim pieces have been fixed now with the exception of the HUD bezel, but I honestly don't care about it. It's going to keep cracking and there's no point in blowing all that money to keep replacing it.

I got the valve springs replaced and dyno'd the car. I got 356 to the wheels which I'm happy with for an otherwise stock car. The next thing I purchase will be a set of shocks. I'm torn on whether I should do the c5z06 Sachs Shocks or go with a set of Bilstein Sport. I have a trackday scheduled in October so I need to decide before then. I'm also debating on whether or not I want to get a new set of wheels before then. I'm thinking the 18" TSW Interlagos all around.

I'm probably going to hold off on all performance adders until I do a few more track sessions. I'd rather focus on suspension and learning how to drive the car than adding more power.

I'm also going to do something a little different and I'm hoping to create a g-circle display for the car before I go out to the track. As kinky as it sounds, the top part of this image is what it is:

When I had my jeep, I had built a little jeep computer to show me how far I was leaning when climbing up rocks. I'm pretty certain I can modify this thing to show me the g-forces I'm putting on the car. I can probably just get an app for my little tablet or phone to do it, but it's more fun to make something. I have a pretty busy couple weeks ahead of me and I've been toying with my quadcopter a lot, but I'd expect a prototype by the end of this month.

I leave you with a sound clip of my car running on the dyno.

Last edited by dangerz; 07-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks really good!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Jeep build thread made me miss my first car. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport. It was red with a mild lift, roof rack, custom made bumpers at a local Jeep fabrication shop, and a bunch of other goodies. Man I had some good times in that Jeep. Slick looking z06 though, I like the direction you're headed.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM
bthollow
Advanced

Nice work and appreciate the step-by-step documentation. To paraphrase the U.S. Army's commercial from awhile ago, "You did more to your vette in a few weeks than most do all year." Looking good and look forward to seeing your future projects!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking great. I love the idea of accelerometer or G force indicator or whatever you want to call it. You should make that and then market it to the world. Your Z sounds awesome too!!! You know that I am a sucker for yellow and for black c5zs. I just love your car!!! Have fun.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Looks like we are "Z-Brothers from another planet"! Mine is an '02, and I also added gs stripes and new DRL's. Please excuse the bug juice on the front, been raining since I got back from VIR, until the day I installed the DRL's. I got ones with black backgrounds. I think 'our' stripes look great!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

STRIPES:

Last edited by chasboy; 07-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM
50 ANV C5
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Moods

dude ur doing a hell of a job on her , looks great and thx for the nice step by steps , got me thinkn about those lights ( where did you get them ) keep up the good work ,
Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great man, thanks for sharing and Happy 4th !!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks for all the compliments guys. As we all know, these cars are a blast to have :]

chasboy, that's awesome man. I'm actually looking for a stock set of wheels too so we'll be even more similar soon!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:17 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dangerz
Thanks for all the compliments guys. As we all know, these cars are a blast to have :]

chasboy, that's awesome man. I'm actually looking for a stock set of wheels too so we'll be even more similar soon!
Sheesh, I think I saw a set recently! You know, I first didnt like them, but after some reading about how light they are and living with their ease of maintenance, they are staying right there!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by chasboy
Sheesh, I think I saw a set recently! You know, I first didnt like them, but after some reading about how light they are and living with their ease of maintenance, they are staying right there!
I'm actually talking with someone right now who has a set. Some light curb rash on one of the wheels, but overall they look great.

The other set I'm thinking of are the TSW Nurburgrings in Black. I'd do 18" all around with those.

If you ever do get new wheels, make sure you keep the stock ones somewhere. They're getting harder to find in good condition.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

I'm actually talking with someone right now who has a set. Some light curb rash on one of the wheels, but overall they look great.

easy fix. We have a great place up here.

The other set I'm thinking of are the TSW Nurburgrings in Black. Sorry, just don't like. 'em I'd do 18" all around with those.

If you ever do get new wheels, make sure you keep the stock ones somewhere. They're getting harder to find in good condition.
I doubt I will replace them, I'd rather spend $ on HPDE fees and other stuff.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Got this shot from Cars and Coffee today. I like how it turned out.

I'm also really tempted to buy the black tiger shark hood that's for sale in the c5 parts for sale section. It's already painted black and local. Not sure how I can convince the wife that I need wheels and a hood...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Picked up a set of c5z wheels last week. I'm looking for a good powder coater now. I'm not sure if I'm going to have them coated into a dark gunmetal color or just go for black.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Nice tasteful mods you have added so far. Keep em coming!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Default Congratulations

Congratulations for being featured as Corvette of the Week!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
93civEJ1
Pro

thanks for doingn a build thread. I think everyone should do one. They are a very good resource.

Get notified of new replies

To My 2003 Z06 Build

Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristina Chenievel

Very nice build thread. Thanks for sharing and congrats. on the feature too.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed GS stripes on her last night. Not sure how I feel about the look, but it's vinyl so it's not permanent. I also didn't do the greatest job, but there's a vinyl shop near where I work so if I like the look, I'll have them install a new set.

Great thread
Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Cristina Chenievel

Awesome, thank you very much :] I didn't notice this because I was actually at the track all last weekend with it.

The first morning.

Very humid and lots of dew. Weatherman was calling for storms all weekend :[ Fortunately he was wrong!

Here's me coming up on an M3. M3s gave me a bit of work this weekend, but I was able to get past almost all of them. There was one that I just couldn't touch.. the driver was just too good for me haha.

Coming up over a hill and setting up for the next turn. Dunno why but I really like this shot.

Me and a c6z06.

Nice big butt.

Lastly, some footage of my favorite session. Note that I was in the green group because I don't go very often, so you'll have to excuse my slow times.

So I have a good path forward. My brakes gave me a lot of issues, so a set of track pads, stainless lines and slotted rotors are next. I will also without a doubt be getting new seats. Stock seats did not hold me in place at all. Lastly, I'm going to research oil coolers. I already purchased a set of stock '01 wheels. I just need to get them powdercoated and installed.

Once I get everything lined up, I'm hoping for another track day in the spring. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: My 2003 Z06 Build