Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 vert.. top/door window question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
99lspwr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 vert.. top/door window question..

Hi everyone, .. Tried searching this with no luck to my avail.. When both door windows are up the corner top part of the door glass (towards the rear) sticks up outside of the convert. top.. When closing the door and pressing down on the glass some I can get it to fit inside the top like its supposed to, but if I just close the door normally the glass sticks out.. This happens on both sides by the way.. Anyone else had this problem, or are there any suggestions for a fix?? thanks for looking
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to adjust the regulator, I found this at a few different places online:

Position the window fully up.

Remove the large access plug from under the front of the door.

Loosen the window regulator front channel mounting nut.

Remove the reflector from the trim panel

Loosen the jack screw jam nut.

Adjust tip in with the jack screw.

Turn the jack screw clockwise to tip the window outward.

Turn the jack screw counterclockwise to tip the window inward.

One turn of the screw equals approximately 1 N·m (0.04 in) change at the top of the window.

Tighten the jack screw jam nut.

Lower the window.

Tighten the window regulator channel front mounting nut.

Raise the window and check the alignment.

Install the access plug under the front of the door.

Install the reflector in the door trim panel.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
99lspwr
3rd Gear

thank u so much for posting! the drivers window has an extreme amount of play in it when the window is down.. sounds horrible when you close the door.. I think I may have to pull the panel to see what is going on in there.. I wonder if the adjustment procedure you posted would help this or not..??
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
miltievette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Try this

Hi I had the same issue. I took the door apart, Did all of the ajusting, it all fit good. When I closed the doors and top. Then I put it to the test lower the windows raised the window open and closed the door with the window up. I was like WTF its doing it again.So I lowered the top and just before it tucks in by the deck I decided to look under it next to the rear glass, and found the connector that screws into the top frame (looks like a U-bolt)it was stripped and my top was out of aligingment. Im just saying before you do all of that work. Its a good thing to look at. It would only take 2 minutes. Please see below
Good Luck.
http://s154.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?fromLegacy=

http://s154.beta.photobucket.com/use...romLegacy=true
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
mshockey22
5th Gear

Default The problem may be easier than that....

I have a 98 vert also. Just got it. I have the same thing going on. It's actually wearing the fabric on that area of the conv. The original owner did not take care of this car. Here's my idea. Did the 98 conv have auto indexing windows (windows that go down a little when the door is opened and then back up when it is shut)?

Everything fits perfectly when I put the window up while the door is closed. The glass only sticks out when I shut the door with the window up. Window indexing would fix that. I can get in the car, put the window down a little, then back up and everything fits perfectly. There are several threads on here that discuss how reset window indexing. Just search "window indexing" I've tried the 2 ways that I was able to find, but neither works with my car. The windows stay stationary when the doors are open still.

It sounds like we have the same problem. Indexing may fix your problem. As a last resort for me, I plan to buy a window valet unit. It would allow me to roll the windows down remotely, and then back up. Thus, allowing me to seal the windows in their proper groove after exiting the car. It's a PITA, but better than ruining the conv top or leaving the window cracked all the time.

If anyhow has info on repairing the valet (assuming this car has it) it would be much appreciated!!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:04 PM
R2R
Racer

I've got a '99 with exactly the same issue. The window has actually rubbed the fabric ragged at the top right of the drivers side. The pass side does the same thing only not so much opening and closing the door there.

My thought for mine is that the top is original and has dried and stretched toward the windshield and the top is causing the interference at the windows. I called to set an appt up to get the top replaced and the guy told me his shop worked with GM to eliminate this issue on newer models - so there must have been some OEM complaints back then.

So, I"m taking the car in on March 11, 2013 for top replacement and I'll see what happens then.

BTW: when I close the drivers door at exit I push on the top right of the drivers window to close the door and the window slides nicely past the interference point and nestles under the top like it is supposed to. When I take off to drive, I roll both windows an inch or so and roll 'em back up to sit them under the top - really to stop the wind whistle.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

C5 convertibles did not have what you have referred to as window indexing. My '99 had the same problem - over time the top stretches and moves around a little and the windows get just enough out of adjustment that they don't quite clear the corner of the top. The corner of my top on the driver side was all frayed and worn due to this. As a stopgap measure I did get a window valet and would make sure to never (okay, rarely) close the driver door with the window all the way up. I never did get around to adjusting it because I was planning on getting a new top and would have it all taken care of then. Which I did and it was. However, I will keep an eye on it and when/if it ever gets out of adjustment, I will take care of it right away.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Shuttle (indexing) windows were not available on the C5 series. One way around this common problem, which was occuring on my 2000 convertible when I bought it, is to install a window valet. When my top was replaced the problem went away due to proper fit and adjustment of the top by the installer.

In the interim the window valet made life easy. Drop the windows, exit the vehicle, close the door(s), hit the lock button on the key fob three times and the windows go up. I love the ability to lower the windows and let the superheated air escape the car on approach when returning to it when it has been parked in the sun.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

My 99 had the same issue when I bought it. First you have to make sure the top is adjusted correctly. I found the procedure some place on line. I then took both door panels off so I could see what was going on. After I had the correct tip in, it still hit the top. I moved the window forward about 3/16 of an inch on the drivers side and about 1/4 on the passenger side to keep them from hitting the top. Don't get carried away when tightening the door glass if you have to go this route. Also make sure you put some softening grease on the seals. If they are hard, they might be holding the window rearward just enough for them to hit the top. Don't take much. When they are correct, they come very close but do not hit the top.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
99lspwr
3rd Gear

thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I figured I was not the only one with this issue.. Looks like some adjusting is in order!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some good information presented here. Although I don't have a vert now, am copying this post for future reference.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Need to adjust the targa top, here is a link to another forum with instructions and pictures. Had the same issue and this fixed it.
http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...te_id=1#import
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Subscribed
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by zagger
Need to adjust the targa top, here is a link to another forum with instructions and pictures. Had the same issue and this fixed it.
http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...te_id=1#import
That's the right procedure, but wrong name. It's not a targa top, it's the soft top supports and adj rods. If you scroll down in that procedure, you'll see a before and after picture that shows exactly the problem you all are describing. It's not caused by a window adjustment, but rather a top adjustment.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 AM
wcvette
Racer

That is a very good write-up with photos. The thread is a few months old but the problem is timeless. I have one question about the repair/adjustment, where is the 2mm gap? Is it under the 5th bow and the tonneau? My 98 came with the worn pass. top corner and paint wear thru on the pass. side tonneau. I used the valet but now I am trying to fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 vert.. top/door window question..

Quick Reply: 98 vert.. top/door window question..