Flying roof - yep I did that

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
bigshark
President FlyingRoof Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flying roof - yep I did that

So I never shared this story, but I need to share and get my experience out there, certainly a bonehead moment and I know better now. I hope I'm not the only one in this club, but I've appointed myself president for the time being - happy to concede this title.

I was headed home in my 01 pewter MN6, after being the designed driver for a bachelor party for a good friend. It was summer in new england and so drove to the meet up with the top off and intended to drive home the same way (clear roof panel). So I didn't button up the rear latch on the top because I was in a secure neighborhood and I'd be getting back in the car in 5 hours or so. First mistake.

Had a good time driving a minivan with the guys around the north shore, did my duty well and after goodbyes got back into my beloved vette and proceeded to head home. This is when the drama started. To the best of my recollection, this is what happened:

1) Driving over a long-arched bridge, I noticed extra air-flow around me
2) Looked up and I realized how much of a bonehead I was, the roof just flew off - I FORGOT the rear latch
3) I stopped immediately to assess, looked in rear view and spotted my panel
4) At the same time, I saw a police car on the opposite side of said bridge, he was watching me
5) Without thinking I reversed (quite swiftly - second mistake)
5.1) I ran RAN OVER the roof panel because I was watching the police car
6) Cursed so loud it likely woke up anything under the bridge
7) Stopped, got out, fetched damaged roof panel and quickly relatched it (successfully)
8) Pulled over to the right expecting drama from the officer, which did ensue
9) I passed the breathalyzer (had nothing to lose)
10) Officer complimented me on fitting the damaged panel to my roof
11) Went home in a really bad mood...

So in case I didn't share this with enough folks, here it is. Not proud but feels good to warn folks about latching roof panels. I will never make that mistake again! Also - I had ordered the dual roof pkg, so when I sold the car (in favor my torch red) I did leave out the damaged panel (car was babied otherwise). This was my first vette and I've been hooked ever since, many more to come.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could see a video of this happen on youtube or something just out of sheer curiosity of how bad it looks when it happens vs the damage sustained. Good thing I bought an FRC though so I don't have to worry about this happening. At least it wasn't irreplaceable and you didn't cause an accident behind you, which I assume you'd be liable for.

Last edited by DooDooBear1999; 02-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM
TXVette435
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigshark
So I never shared this story, but I need to share and get my experience out there, certainly a bonehead moment and I know better now. I hope I'm not the only one in this club, but I've appointed myself president for the time being - happy to concede this title.

I was headed home in my 01 pewter MN6, after being the designed driver for a bachelor party for a good friend. It was summer in new england and so drove to the meet up with the top off and intended to drive home the same way (clear roof panel). So I didn't button up the rear latch on the top because I was in a secure neighborhood and I'd be getting back in the car in 5 hours or so. First mistake.

Had a good time driving a minivan with the guys around the north shore, did my duty well and after goodbyes got back into my beloved vette and proceeded to head home. This is when the drama started. To the best of my recollection, this is what happened:

2) Looked up and I realized how much of a bonehead I was, the roof just flew off - I FORGOT the rear latch
4) At the same time, I saw a police car on the opposite side of said bridge, he was watching me
7) Stopped, got out, fetched damaged roof panel and quickly relatched it (successfully)

So in case I didn't share this with enough folks, here it is. Not proud but feels good to warn folks about latching roof panels. I will never make that mistake again! Also - I had ordered the dual roof pkg, so when I sold the car (in favor my torch red) I did leave out the damaged panel (car was babied otherwise). This was my first vette and I've been hooked ever since, many more to come.

Man sorry to hear that, but some times we feel invincible and than we pay the price. It's good that you did not make more damage, you will be responsible for. You'll fix the vette and be more careful next time. I know I make same mistakes.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Lol you and like thousands are part of the FRC club! Great job!
Backing over it put the icing on the cake! Lol
Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Oh, and hello from another fellow MA Vette owner!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Glad I've never joined that club!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,390 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Stories like this are exactly why I always latch the top town when I put it back on the car. I do not want to become the next president of the FRC.

Thanks for sharing your story though. If it helps one person from going through the same thing, it will be worth it.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

It's always good to have a sense of humor in these matters.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bigshark

Should of bought a VERT! HERR HERR! Very funny! Opps spose it could happen to a vert if latches aren't down (thats why I have a "remove before flight" tag on my latch)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
Mew2
Racer

Pics! How badly was it damaged? Maaan funny story but sucks you need a new roof now :/
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Luv2Run
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Everytime I install my top the first thing I do is pull down both visors.

This serves as a great reminder to be sure all fasteners are fastened before driving.

Saved me a couple of times, it is so easy to get distracted when installing the top.

Give it a try, sometimes the simple things work the best......

Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

argh. Welcome to the club.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2Run
Everytime I install my top the first thing I do is pull down both visors.

This serves as a great reminder to be sure all fasteners are fastened before driving.

Saved me a couple of times, it is so easy to get distracted when installing the top.

Give it a try, sometimes the simple things work the best......

I also use this method. The C6 will chime if the convert latch is not latched. Unlatching that also causes the windows to roll down. They should have done something like that for the coupes. I am 6' 5" so I can't see if the visors are down. This seems to be as common as people leaving the TV antenna up n RVs. Have not done that either. Yet!

Last edited by duramaxsky; 02-18-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 AM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

This sounds like the old saw about Coupe owners being in one of two clubs - those who are members of the FRC Club and those may become members of that club.

I like the "Remove Before Flight" idea. I may have to make a quick check list for the car.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Amixamse
Racer

After a Sunday cruise I spotted some dark clouds so I sit the top on, but didn't latch it at all I was on the phone and didn't really know if I might be cruising more. Didn't drive it till a few days later to work. Coffee in hand, cig lit, 3am. Made it to about 40 mob and noticed cracked window or cracked door noise.. Top flys off as soon as I reach for it... It sounded like someone body slammed the tinman on pavement.. Suffered paint chips and road rash scratches . No cracks or breaks. It's still like that now. Ouch.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 AM
aasports
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Bigshark.....I don't know what compelled you to write this story but I am so thankful that you did. I was sitting here at work surfing the forum and read your post. I was thinking back a week ago when I put the top on the car in the garage so I could get something out of the trunk. I read how you had not latched the rear latch and thought I don't think I did either. Both my last two C5s were verts....only ever had to do the front two latches since no rear latch on a vert. I immediately went home and checked and sure enough....there was was the rear latch dangling. Even worse, I had driven the car to lunch earlier in the day and I guess was just really lucky that nothing bad happened. So thanks again for sharing your horror and saving me from having one of my own!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Jacks2002
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel bad. This is me:

Get notified of new replies

To Flying roof - yep I did that

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm sorry that happened to your car, and you. However, I admire your ability to talk about it, and to laugh at your self a little.
I see that as a sign of strong character.

In this sometimes frustrating, sometimes rewarding world, we must all, at times, take a deep breath, count 10, and just be glad 'it isn't worse'...

As one of the others wrote, maybe we can all learn a little from your mis-adventure.

I usually find, that people who cannot laugh at themselves and their own shortcomings, are not folks who I like to be around.

Save the wave...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

read similar accounts several times and can easily see me having this happen . however , i haven't a clue as to how to remove top of our 2000 so i'm not to concerned . . .peace
Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Flying roof - yep I did that