Sponsored by:

C5 Radio Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Radio Upgrade questions

I'd like to get C5 guys opinions of a radio upgrade. I have an 04 Z06 with a factory Bose system. I'm fine with the Bose part and want to keep it stock except for the head unit. I have always used and had good luck with Alpine, Kenwood and Clarion products so I'd like to stick with them. My budget is $450.00 for a head unit and I know that I'll need an adapter to connect to the Bose system.

Now for my questions:

1) Are flip-up head units worth it? I like the video screen but it's not a must. I have GPS on my phone and don't need nav on the head unit.

2) I've seen the Corvette face plate with and without lights but I can't find a vendor. Where can I get them.

3) I've been shopping for head units online at Crutchfield but I know they are typically on the high side. Is there another place to look besides ebay or Amazon.

Any help, opinions or experience is welcome.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edit: Just noticed you're in Central TX. What parts?

1. I went with a single din Kenwood with my upgrade. With your budget you can do more than a head unit if you choose to stay with a single din.

2. http://maptechenterprises.com/storef...782bc533daa6e6

3. Get with Dennis at DoubleD mods. That's who I picked up my stuff from. Good guy to work with.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Call Dennis and he will hook you up according to your budget.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM
PMPNSEZ
Racer

I had a flip up and hated that it blocked the center hvac vent. It would also flip down under hard acceleration. I agree check out Double D Mods. Might spend a little more than you want right now but down the road totally worth every penny
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteNoob
Edit: Just noticed you're in Central TX. What parts?

1. I went with a single din Kenwood with my upgrade. With your budget you can do more than a head unit if you choose to stay with a single din.

2. http://maptechenterprises.com/storef...782bc533daa6e6

3. Get with Dennis at DoubleD mods. That's who I picked up my stuff from. Good guy to work with.
I live in the Seguin area.

Thanks for the link thats what I was looking for.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not that far from me. You're welcome to come by and check out what I did for just a tad more than your budget.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by PMPNSEZ
I had a flip up and hated that it blocked the center hvac vent. It would also flip down under hard acceleration. I agree check out Double D Mods. Might spend a little more than you want right now but down the road totally worth every penny
I figured that it would interfere with the Hvac based on some of the pictures I've seen. I hadn't thought about them flipping down under acceleration. That pretty much knocks those out for me.

I've thought about double DIN but that's more work and modification then I want to do. Plus since I'm not looking for a Nav system I think DD would be overkill in my case. I'm just looking for a nice single DIN and a very clean install.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

You're not that far from me. You're welcome to come by and check out what I did for just a tad more than your budget.
Thanks I might take you up on that.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
JeffreyDurbin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed a JVC KDR820BT and I am very happy with it. I got it from Crutchfield and I have a $20 referral coupon code if you want it. (pij13-itbff-i3dah)

There are a few important things to keep in mind (IMO):

1) Use their handy tool for zeroing in on the head units that have the functionality you desire. I needed Bluetooth hands-free and audio streaming plus a USB connector. I also wanted excellent FM reception because I am in central NJ and can pull stations from NYC and Philly depending on a host of factors. I used the rear USB cable to wire it down under the console by the shifter and into the console so my USB flash drive is hidden instead of jutting from the front of the head unit. Cool! Streaming music from my phone is also cool too!

2) Do NOT rely on their website to tell you if something fits. I originally bought the Clarion FZ501 and even after I cut away part of the metal bracket from the stock radio the Clarion would not fit. The depth on the driver side is about 6 3/8" and it is about 7" on the passenger side. The Clarion theoretically fits until you plug in the required adapter plug. Crutchfield's tech support is phenomenal though and worth the extra $20 or so you will pay. Look at the photos of the back of the unit. Your safest bet is to buy a unit that has the adapter plug in on the left side (passenger side) of the back of the unit.

3) Use the Crutchfield installation instructions but there was one thing it didn't mention that was a huge help. I unscrewed the HVAC controls and pulled it to one side which really opened up the area in the dash/console.

4) Sonic Electronix had prices which were slightly cheaper than Cructchfield and they also included the free faceplate and antenna adapter. The coupon code evened things up and Crutchfield has a better rep so I used them.

5) You will need a harness to interface between the head unit and the existing speakers/amps. Crutchfield gives you a 50% discount on this when you buy it with a head unit. The pricing is excellent when done like that. Dennis at Double D Mods recommends against the Metra (something like that) and recommends the PAC (or PCA). I had the Metra in hand so I used it. I had a battery drain problem (which he predicted.) I turn off the radio when I turn off the car instead of letting it turn off automatically when I open my car door. I have not had a problem since. The PCA harness is about $40 if you shop around which makes it slightly cheaper than the Metra.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
JeffreyDurbin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My cost was $199 less a $20 coupon plus $45 for the harness.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM
SFL_driver
Pro

3. Get with Dennis at DoubleD mods.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Call Dennis and he will hook you up according to your budget.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

those flip up units look totally cheesy in my opinion. plus the vent blockage will grow old fast.

if you're going to upgrade, do it right and get a double din.

you also may not think you need navi but they are totally worth having as built in to the head unit vs using on your phone.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree that if you decide to go for a double DIN unit, speak to Dennis

The lighted mount is made by Humount and a search should find them. Obviously you wont need one if you go DD.

I've had a Pioneer AVIC system since they first appeared on the market and I love it. The advantage is that you can stow it away and it looks stock. Even though it blocks the AC vents its not a problem. I ran mine in Vegas for 2 years and the AC performance is fine even with the screen extended. You won't find warmer temperatures than Vegas in summer. I've never had any issues with the screen and never heard anyone having it stow under acceleration before today. Its power driven so that has to be a fault with the unit. Mines been very reliable (both the N1 in the US and the X1 in UK).

Its a good unit. The radio/DVD/nav functions are all good. You can hook up an Ipod if you wish. The screen is quite bright but can suffer a little in direct sunlight when I have the top down. The upside is that it sits higher than a double DIN fit so its more in the sightline and a little closer to reach when you're using it. You can angle the screen to find a position that suits you.

The problem might be finding one. The N1 was replaced by the N2 and N3 at which time the model was discontinued. You may find a used one on E Bay.

I posted a How To" fit an N1 in the C5 Tech DIY sticky if you want to see how to fit one. Its a straight forward fit although you need to pull the console. You'll need an adaptor for the stock aerial socket and a GMCRV1 or GMCRV2 type adaptor for the Bose hookup.

Hope you find a good one

Last edited by DeeGee; 09-29-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SFL_driver
Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
You won't go wrong by using Dennis!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Call and talk with Dennis about your plans. He can advise you and recommend a system to meet your needs.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Radio Upgrade questions

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Thanks everyone!

Yes just call me!
We have many many options based on budget and what you want to do. Alot of deals I can not post becuase of MAP pricing rules as well.

BEsides I always enjoy talking to everyone!

Dennis
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Thanks everyone!

Yes just call me!
We have many many options based on budget and what you want to do. Alot of deals I can not post becuase of MAP pricing rules as well.

BEsides I always enjoy talking to everyone!

Dennis
Thanks to all for the the opinions and suggestions.

Dennis I'll be giving you a call.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Kehraus
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just curious how many of you guys that have upgraded have
the 'memory' package on their cars, and were there any issues
with it after the install?

Quick Reply: C5 Radio Upgrade questions