Sponsored by:

Trailer Question - Will this work to pull a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Trailer Question - Will this work to pull a C5Z

I'm looking to purchase a flat bed trailer and wanted to see if you think this would work. I know they are not good pictures, but it has 4 ft ramps that are placed on the ground to load with. I'm concerned about the bottom dragging over the crest (dovetail) of the trailer. Thoughts?

And my Z is stock height...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM
meine96ws6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you angle the end more with longer ramps.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

4 Feet isn't nearly enough imo. Even at stock height, I think you'll have to add some extra length to the ramps.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've trailered my (stock height) Vette on a trailer that was almost identical to that one.

I used 6ft. pieces of 2X8's and extended the ramps, and I still just barely bottomed out.

If you carry around 2 8ft pieces of 2X10s or 2X12s, you should be good.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but you also probably won't be able to open the doors once its on the trailer. I think the bottom of the doors are about 6" off the ground when they're open on our cars.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I hauled my '02 coupe a few times on my old flatbed trailer similar to the one in the pic. A dovetail does help with getting the car up.

My 02 is lowered all the way down on the stock bolts and I had to use extra wood ramps with my 6' aluminum ramps I had for the trailer. IIRC, I extended the metal ramps using some 2x10 lumber. I used three pieces for each extension; the base piece was about 6' long, the middle piece was 5' and screwed to the bottom piece. The top board was 4' long and it was set back about 3" to let the aluminum ramp to set so that it wouldn't move. Each board was angle cut at the loading end to help the tires up onto each board.

I also added a single 2x12 board about 10' long to the trailer deck to raise the driver's side of the car to allow the door to open. You should measure the distance from the ground to the bottom rear of the door with the door open and about 18" out from the body. That height can then be compared to the height of the trailer fender to the trailer deck. If the fender can be removed, then measure to the top of the trailer tire.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I hauled my '02 coupe a few times on my old flatbed trailer similar to the one in the pic. A dovetail does help with getting the car up.

My 02 is lowered all the way down on the stock bolts and I had to use extra wood ramps with my 6' aluminum ramps I had for the trailer. IIRC, I extended the metal ramps using some 2x10 lumber. I used three pieces for each extension; the base piece was about 6' long, the middle piece was 5' and screwed to the bottom piece. The top board was 4' long and it was set back about 3" to let the aluminum ramp to set so that it wouldn't move. Each board was angle cut at the loading end to help the tires up onto each board.

I also added a single 2x12 board about 10' long to the trailer deck to raise the driver's side of the car to allow the door to open. You should measure the distance from the ground to the bottom rear of the door with the door open and about 18" out from the body. That height can then be compared to the height of the trailer fender to the trailer deck. If the fender can be removed, then measure to the top of the trailer tire.
I have loaded some low profile cars on a trailer with a beaver tail , but had to put jacks under the ends of the ramps after the rear wheels just enter the back of the ramps. This raises the center of the car so it don't drag. Then continue to drive on the trailer. But as low as our corvettes sit , I don't think the doors will clear the fenders so you can get out. And the whole process is a bit time consuming.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

OK folks, I may have stumbled on a better deal. Although this is 50% more in price, I think it is a better trailer for me. I really like the diamond plate floor. This isn't where I'm looking to purchase, but it had the best pictures. The one I'm looking at has a aluminum 4' rock guard on the front, tandom axle each with brakes.

What do y'all think?

http://www.codytrailers.com/Big_Tex_..._p/70dm-18.htm
Old 02-16-2013, 06:48 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andrew
OK folks, I may have stumbled on a better deal. Although this is 50% more in price, I think it is a better trailer for me. I really like the diamond plate floor. This isn't where I'm looking to purchase, but it had the best pictures. The one I'm looking at has a aluminum 4' rock guard on the front, tandom axle each with brakes.

What do y'all think?

I would not buy a trailer with a 1/8 inch diamond plate floor. I thought it was a good idea over buying a wood floor but the steel rusted through in just a few years. ( probably cheap import steel ) I've had wood floors and lasted for many years.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
1SGRET
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Andrew

What do y'all think?

I like that one and I wouldn't anticipate any loading problems.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
lxconv331
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SGRET
I like that one and I wouldn't anticipate any loading problems.
I have almost the same one & have no problems loading my Z on it! But like the other guy pointed out, if its left out in bad weather it will take its toll on the life of it!

Btw see if you can get it with the adjustable fenders, makes it a breeze for in and out excess from the car without the bottom of the door rubbing on them!

Last edited by lxconv331; 02-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

another trick is to back the rear axle of your truck onto service ramps which will give you a little flatter loading angle to go over. and definitely extend the ramps.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Trailer

Here's the trailer I use to haul my C5.

it is an R&R brand, all aluminum and was just a tad over $4k a year ago. here is the website. http://www.rnrtrailers.com/ Scroll through and you will find a picture of a C6 where the door clears the fender (which mine does as well). the empty weight is listed on the title as #1240 pounds.

It is a light and well made trailer with Dexter axles. My car will go on with no need for extra ramps. Most folks with steel trailers go through a real routine to get a vette of a trailer, but this one is easy. It tows like a dream and is very comfortable.

The biggest negative is that I had to drive to Michigan to get it as there were no nearby dealers. I would definitely buy another, though. good trailer. the only other thing I did was modify the ramp storage bracket so I could mount a spare on the tongue, along with a tongue tool box. The RnR spare tire mount is on the side and would be a PIA for tying down a car.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by k24556
Here's the trailer I use to haul my C5.

it is an R&R brand, all aluminum and was just a tad over $4k a year ago. here is the website. http://www.rnrtrailers.com/ Scroll through and you will find a picture of a C6 where the door clears the fender (which mine does as well). the empty weight is listed on the title as #1240 pounds.

It is a light and well made trailer with Dexter axles. My car will go on with no need for extra ramps. Most folks with steel trailers go through a real routine to get a vette of a trailer, but this one is easy. It tows like a dream and is very comfortable.

The biggest negative is that I had to drive to Michigan to get it as there were no nearby dealers. I would definitely buy another, though. good trailer. the only other thing I did was modify the ramp storage bracket so I could mount a spare on the tongue, along with a tongue tool box. The RnR spare tire mount is on the side and would be a PIA for tying down a car.
That is a very nice trailer and the door clearance is a good point but make sure you regularly clean the underbody area if you drive it in salt. Aluminum won't rust but it does corrode from road salt and it will eventually eat away just like steel if it is not kept clean of salt. Great trailer though.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Race Ramps has a ramp model called a Roll-Up (RR-RU). It's 4" high and 14" wide. It's intended to be used in conjunction with service ramps on the opposite end of a car. But, it's useful for use under the rear tires of your tow vehicle to lower the rear edge of your trailer. The standard capacity of the ramps is 3000 pounds per pair. But for this application I recommend getting the heavy duty option which brings the capacity up to 5000 pounds per pair.

Originally Posted by _zebra
another trick is to back the rear axle of your truck onto service ramps which will give you a little flatter loading angle to go over. and definitely extend the ramps.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

You are correct about road salt. Hd that with aluminum horse trailers. The corrosion was so extensive that it was not worth repairing. Same with steel. Drive it in the winter and rust for sure. Fortunately with car haulers, this is a nice weather game, so far no road salt and the trip to MI was on dry roads.

One other point, the ramps have a lower lock so that the ramps do not flip up on loading.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Question - Will this work to pull a C5Z

Quick Reply: Trailer Question - Will this work to pull a C5Z