Sponsored by:

Whats my 02 Vert worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Whats my 02 Vert worth?

Not that I'm thinking of selling it now, but with two small kids I basically drive it myself to and from work and with bad weather it's a problem.

2002 Convertible
Mag Red
93K miles
All stock
All options exept the adjustable suspension.
ACA Projector HID's and HID fogs
Halo rear tail lights
Very well maintained, no leaks
Never been in an accident, never had body work, looks new. Always garaged.
I am the original owner.

The car runs great, everything works perfectly.

Off the top of my head I would think about 15-17K because of the mileage. What would be a fair realistic price to expect and where would be the best place to try and sell it.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Vettmann17; 02-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why ask if you not selling it? There are tons of sites to get pricing.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Your price might be in the ball park. Check with on line resources like kbb.com, edumnds.com, etc. or just do a review of cars being sold here on the forum. As far as where to advertise, the forum is a good place, as is Autotrader.com, your local newspaper (depending on the circulation of the paper) or any regional magazines that offer vehicles for sale.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I think you're pretty close to being right on.
It could bring a bit more in the spring... but if you add another 6000 miles the price will likey plummet.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

a recent 2002 with 53k and a perfect 2 owner history went for 16.3k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...#ht_500wt_1182

with mileage nearing 100k i would accept any offer over 14k

there are pretty much 2 ways to sell cars. you can move them at market value in under a month or you can sit on them for years with unrealistic expectations like many of the guys on the forum and not sell them always telling yourself that people are lowballing and the "right guy" will pay for it

there are 3 major books, with edmunds being low and kbb being the high. toss both of those and NADA is in the middle. their average price is 13,400 and clean 14,900. that's also likely to be around where you see closes on ebay for completed sales.

the closed auction pictured above nada books at 15,500 to 17,000 and closed at 16,300

list your car at 15.5 to 15.9 and see what you get for offers. the other thought is run it no reserve on ebay and let the market do its magic. i've sold 4 cars in the past couple years on ebay and gotten strong closes on all of them

i also think people that expect c5 prices to go up in the spring/summer are high as a kite. with c7 orders being taken and a lot of c6s due to hit the market you're going to see pressure, not support on c5s. kempton chevrolet just sold a 2008 LS3 coupe with 30k on it for 24.9k today. ls2 cars are already closing in the teens. most folks, unless you give them a deal on a c5 aren't going to pay within spitting distance of a similar c6

old saying from stock trading applies to this. the market is never wrong, people often are. look at the prices cars are changing hands, not what people think

Last edited by racebum; 02-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad to say we don't get adequately compensated for the love and improvements we lavish on our cars; it will be hard to fix a realistic price on my 02 when the time comes; it really is a lot better than it was the day I bought it - even with the extra miles.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I just bought last August. Based on what I saw then and where the market is now, I'd say you have an excellent handle on the value of your Vette.
As for where to list, I'd add Craigslist to Vetteman Jack's list. Just don't put your phone number in the ad. Insist on them giving you their number, it filters out all the nuts and princes from foreign lands and their "agents".
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM
JerzeyJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sold my 2001 red convertible, 53000 miles for $17000. probably could have gotten a little more, if I tried. Didn't think another $500 was worth dealing with phone calls, and tire kickers. Sometimes it's better to accept a couple dollars less and move on.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all with the great advise. My Wife keeps pressuring me to sell it and lease something new with a warranty and a back seat so we can actually have two cars for the family instead of one and a half. I love my Vette and always thought I would keep it forever, but the more I think about it the more I think she's right. I figured my car was worth in the 15K+ range I figured I would think out loud on the forum and see what others thought. I did check out other car sites, but then again what cars are listed for and what they actually sell for are different. I know the day is coming to sell it, it's just killing me to do it because I really do love the car. Thanks again for the advise!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

good luck with the sale and remember, only accept cash, a verified wire transfer or a bank check from a local bank that you can directly call or walk into and confirm. there are WAY too many ways to fake bank checks these days and some go as far as to have a phone number on them that rings to one of their buddies for verification. so, even if you do get a local bank check, walk into the branch or google the phone number before you release the title. it would not be hard to fake a local check and do it with a fake phone number printed on it

ps. if you love the car and need a warranty check out the 2013 c6 coupe fire sales for 36k from les stanford. you may even be able to work a trade in deal to keep you from having to sell your car. that could be a slick plan if you could get a new 2013 for around 22k out of pocket
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racebum
good luck with the sale and remember, only accept cash, a verified wire transfer or a bank check from a local bank that you can directly call or walk into and confirm. there are WAY too many ways to fake bank checks these days and some go as far as to have a phone number on them that rings to one of their buddies for verification. so, even if you do get a local bank check, walk into the branch or google the phone number before you release the title. it would not be hard to fake a local check and do it with a fake phone number printed on it

ps. if you love the car and need a warranty check out the 2013 c6 coupe fire sales for 36k from les stanford. you may even be able to work a trade in deal to keep you from having to sell your car. that could be a slick plan if you could get a new 2013 for around 22k out of pocket
Thank you for the tips on the checks. I would never release anything without direct verification from the bank first. I know C6's are coming down in cost, but since my car is paid for I would just as soon keep my C5, unfortunately I think I need a family friendly vehicle. Thanks so much for some great advise, I appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM
fishbust
Racer

Never give up a toy, unless it is to buy a newer or a better one. You won't get it back. The day won't come again when the budget for a toy (for you!) makes it back up to the top of the priority list.

Keep the car (its paid for!) and lease or buy a fat minivan (any color SHE wants! LOL) and next to zero percent interest, bite the bullet for some payments. The vette will then last even longer splitting up the mileage for the work commute.

2 of my friends did not take this advice and when the regret rolled in down the road, although I wanted to say "I told you so", I didn't.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

A second family friendly car is a must. My wife and I are grandparents and our daughter and grandson live with us. Last weekend she took both to visit family in the only 4 seat (Honda) car we have. Wife has T-Bird, me C5. I get a phone call, "Dad we were just in a bad accident, everyone is OK, but car is toast". So now I have only two, two seat cars available to go get them (three people). Had to call a friend to help, he did, all is well. Wife now is going to give up her T-Bird for a family friendly vehicle. Plus we have to buy a replacement for the Honda.

So maybe you can figure out a way to keep the Vette and buy a reasonably priced (cheap) 2nd family car.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbust
Never give up a toy, unless it is to buy a newer or a better one. You won't get it back. The day won't come again when the budget for a toy (for you!) makes it back up to the top of the priority list.

Keep the car (its paid for!) and lease or buy a fat minivan (any color SHE wants! LOL) and next to zero percent interest, bite the bullet for some payments. The vette will then last even longer splitting up the mileage for the work commute.

2 of my friends did not take this advice and when the regret rolled in down the road, although I wanted to say "I told you so", I didn't.
If it's paid for don't sell it. I hear guys say all of the time at car cruises that they sold their favorite toy because they were getting married or having kids. Then they are never able to get another one because there is always other expenses that come along and keep shoving the toys further back. These are the guys that just walk around at the cruises and look at everybody elses cars and talk about their regrets.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats my 02 Vert worth?

Quick Reply: Whats my 02 Vert worth?