Sponsored by:

Fuel Gage Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
C5-2003
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel Gage Suggestions

2003 C5 16k, Chevron premium used forever and Stabil used for storage......At startup today fuel gage indicated 1/2 full with a full tank. Added Techron Plus at a 20gal concentration and drove the car about sixty five miles with no change......still inaccurate. During the 65miles the gage did indicate that fuel was being used but quantity remained wrong. No codes or lights at anytime. Any suggestions???

(1)Does the gas tank have to be full in order to have the fuel quantity probes and sending units fully submerged in fuel? Trying to determine the best way to get the Techron Plus to the probes/sending units to remove the sulfur from them......full tank or partial? (2)Would using a higher concentration of Techron Plus than the 20 gallon help or could it damage things? (3)How bad of a hit($$$) to replace the probes and sending units if it comes to that? Thanks for any help on this.....
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

The units sit in a horizonal position within each tank. You do know that there are two tanks in a C-5 right? They are pretty much submerged until the tanks get quite low. There is a 'float' that measures the fuel and works a pickup along a etched reostat on each sending unit. You particular problem sounds like (but does not always mean) that one of those unit may be malfunctioning. I'd fill the tank and see what happens. A resistance check at the plug might give you a clue, however it's not all that easy to 'get' to. As for replacement, it isn't cheap, and isn't easy to do. the tanks will need to be almost empty, (or you'll lose a lot of gas) and I'd only let a qualified servicetech do it since you're dealing with a very explosive situation.

that's my opinion anyway.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have not had this problem with the vette but on my wifes pacifica. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out. I was told that it was the right sending unit. Make a long story short, paid them the 94$ for inspecting it and I told them that I would think about it. Gas tank was low so I stoped on the way home and bought 2 bottles of techron, put one in, filled the car. 1 week latter filled and added the techron again. Befor the 3rd fill up the gauge started working again. Thanks to this forum, saved me 995$ in repairs, this is what they wanted to fix the problem. Good luck

Last edited by black match box; 01-31-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Techron treatment usually takes more than one application. I would try filling the tank again and adding a bottle and do it again once that tank needs refilling. Certainly cheaper to try before the expense (and yes it is about a 1400.00 job at a dealership)
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I suggest that you add the Techron to a less than half tank and then fill the tank. The fuel from the pump will mix the Techron into the fuel and the passenger tank will received mixed fuel/Techron through the cross over pipe at the top of the tanks.

I believe that the sensor on the drivers side is part of the fuel pump assembly and is not sold separately. The sensor for the passenger side used to be available as a separate part.
Actually it's the other way around. Driver's side replaceable as a separate item.

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
.............Check the glove box sticker on your 2003 to see if it has the FFS RPO. If so the tanks need to be dropped to access the sensors. That is harder (more expensive) to do than on the non FFS cars. If it is an early 2003 build pre RPO FFS, the tanks need only be drained to access the plate behind which the fuel pump and Jet Pump on the drivers and passengers tanks respectively.
That's the first thing I noticed when he posted.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by srs244
Techron treatment usually takes more than one application. I would try filling the tank again and adding a bottle and do it again once that tank needs refilling. Certainly cheaper to try before the expense (and yes it is about a 1400.00 job at a dealership)
Give it another bottle or two of Techron concentrate and see if it helps before taking it in for any repairs.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by srs244
When it first happened to me it took 3 tankful treatments to clear it up...

Now I'm on preventive maintenance w/ Techron...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
94centennial
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had issues. added one bottle to a nearly empty tank and it corrected the reading with 2 minutes of driving. i filled thetank after 15 miles. that was 3 years ago. i've not had a problem since and i have not added more Techron. i mostly use Marathon or Bp gasoline.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
C5-2003
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for this excellent information....very much appreciated................ My only remaining question is regarding the Techron Plus concentration. I already put one bottle of Techron Plus at a 20 gallon concentration into an already full tank..............do I have to run that tank to near empty before adding another 20gallon bottle or can I add more Techron Plus before running the tank to near empty. Somewhat worried about a too high of a concentration of Techron Plus could cause possible damage.
With a full tank with a high level of Techron Plus concentration is the Techron Plus also doing its job or does the car need to be driven for an extended period of time(3 tankfuls & 900 miles) to really allow the techron to do its job? I ask that because I am trying to determine if this is an internal problem of the system requiring the car to be driven or if it is an external problem of the probes/sending units where just physically sitting in fuel highly concentrated in techron plus would take care of the problem given time . Looks to me that it could be a possible combination which would dictate that the car has to be driven to cover all bases. You guys are the expert.......what do you think???
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
C5-2003
Instructor

Car does have FSS RPO(must drop both tanks) so this could get very expensive if Mr Techron Plus does not come through...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
leet13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I saw this... My gauge never quite reads FULL after a fill up.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C5-2003
Thanks to everyone for this excellent information....very much appreciated................ My only remaining question is regarding the Techron Plus concentration. I already put one bottle of Techron Plus at a 20 gallon concentration into an already full tank..............do I have to run that tank to near empty before adding another 20gallon bottle or can I add more Techron Plus before running the tank to near empty. Somewhat worried about a too high of a concentration of Techron Plus could cause possible damage.
With a full tank with a high level of Techron Plus concentration is the Techron Plus also doing its job or does the car need to be driven for an extended period of time(3 tankfuls & 900 miles) to really allow the techron to do its job? I ask that because I am trying to determine if this is an internal problem of the system requiring the car to be driven or if it is an external problem of the probes/sending units where just physically sitting in fuel highly concentrated in techron plus would take care of the problem given time . Looks to me that it could be a possible combination which would dictate that the car has to be driven to cover all bases. You guys are the expert.......what do you think???
I have no idea on the concentration of Techron doing any damage to your system but I can tell you that with every vehicle I buy no matter new or used..I run the tank down to near empty. I like to see just where empty is and then I add 4 cans of Seafoam and 4 cans of Chemtool. Then I push my luck driving with that in the tank for about 20-30 miles. Then go and fill back up with fuel. My guess is that I have somewhere around 20-40% "cleaner" in the fuel tank while doing this. Never has caused a problem and yes, I did do it to the vette I bought about a month ago. I do this about every 6 months. Even do it with my lawnmower.

In fact, I would like the more knowledgeable guys to tell me what exactly the Techron does that Seafoam and Chemtool can't.

BG is really the best stuff as far as I'm concerned but I never think to buy it online and it's a little pricey. Not bad compared to the above concoction that I named though. Seafoam is about $8/per can and the Chemtool is about $4/can.

But again, I really don't think you have to worry about getting too much Techron in there.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by C5-2003
Car does have FSS RPO(must drop both tanks) so this could get very expensive if Mr Techron Plus does not come through...
Yup

Peace
Chip

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 PM
C5-2003
Instructor

UPDATE: At the start of this the car was full of fuel but at startup the fuel gage suddenly showed 1/2 full so I added some Techron to the full tank and drove the car. Car has always had Chevron premium as well as stabil during storage times which have been about four months a year.
1. Ran the fuel down until the reserve fuel light came on and then added the 20gal concentration of Techron along with a 5gallons of chevron premium. Drove the car until the car ran out of fuel.
2. This was the only way to confirm that no fuel was being transfered from the FULL right tank to the left.
3. Added another 20 gal concentration of Techron and filled the left tank and have continued to drive the car but only able to use the fuel in the left tank which limits the range to about 150 miles.
Not sure where to go from here other than continuing to drive the car and using the techron while hoping that things come back. My only diagnosis is that the sending unit(incl venturi pump) in the RIGHT tank has failed. If that is the case then my only remaining option is to drive to the dealer and hand him a credit card. This car has received the most meticulous care of any vette but unfortunately it looks like that was not enough when it comes to avoiding these infamous fuel system problems with the C5s. I knew about the problems and I did my best to prevent them but apparently it was not enough. Unfortunate.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gage Suggestions

Quick Reply: Fuel Gage Suggestions