Sponsored by:

polish/wax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts
Oldtimer

Gotta agree... only hope mine looks that good when done...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by calvins
Gotta agree... only hope mine looks that good when done...
It will! I'll get you there!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts
Oldtimer

And much appreciated!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM
fishbust
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evil twin or someone else with experience,

What do you think of Pinnacle clay bar, already bought but yet to use for my water spots.
Then Zaino Z2 polish for clearcoat for my 2000 coupe.
Then a straight wax like my old school Gliptone? Or do you not use wax on Zaino polish? And is it the Z2 polish you use?
My car is also torch red.

Last edited by fishbust; 01-26-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Architect
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTG
I was giving a straight answer to your initial question... "it's a superb Wax for the price"

As for there being better waxes, you need to understand NXT 2.0 is not a pure "wax" it has Fillers/Glazes added to help fill clear coat scratches and swirl marks.
As previously stated, Rejex is a great Synthetic Sealant. Very easy to apply and remove with superb protection.
BlackFire & Menzerna also make great AIO's.
Second the Blackfire. Excellent product. Although the surface needs to be extremely well prepped to take full advantage. Zaino doesn't last anywhere near as long.
I've been doing this for a long time as well. Used hundreds of combinations. My favorite combination so far... HD UNO with orange foam. Followed with HD Polish with green foam. Blackfire Wet Diamond AFPP to finish it off.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I use Meguiars and Adams products, but I use NXT as the finish wax; great stuff!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by fishbust
Evil twin or someone else with experience,

What do you think of Pinnacle clay bar, already bought but yet to use for my water spots.
Then Zaino Z2 polish for clearcoat for my 2000 coupe.
Then a straight wax like my old school Gliptone? Or do you not use wax on Zaino polish? And is it the Z2 polish you use?
My car is also torch red.
Clay bar will "PULL" things out of the clear coat, like bug guts, road tar, tree sap etc. It wont take out water spots, because water spots have already removes a few microns of clear coat by dissolving the clear coat with the acidity fount in the droplet. the only way to remove the water spots are to feather out the ring, clay does not feather.. you need an aggressive compound like polishing compound or a product called Finesse, or final cut. these would be similar to using # 2000 grit wet and dry
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
bontrager
Pro

Originally Posted by SSTG
I was giving a straight answer to your initial question... "it's a superb Wax for the price"

As for there being better waxes, you need to understand NXT 2.0 is not a pure "wax" it has Fillers/Glazes added to help fill clear coat scratches and swirl marks.
As previously stated, Rejex is a great Synthetic Sealant. Very easy to apply and remove with superb protection.
BlackFire & Menzerna also make great AIO's.
I have used NXT 2.0 and while it has provided a decent shine it has not filled in any of even the minor scratches in my clear coat (torch red).

All work was done by hand.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Clay bar will "PULL" things out of the clear coat, like bug guts, road tar, tree sap etc. It wont take out water spots, because water spots have already removes a few microns of clear coat by dissolving the clear coat with the acidity fount in the droplet. the only way to remove the water spots are to feather out the ring, clay does not feather.. you need an aggressive compound like polishing compound or a product called Finesse, or final cut. these would be similar to using # 2000 grit wet and dry
Well this is just great, read a thread with tons of advice for what works, spend the money and before I even gather up the products I find out it is not even going to work? LOL. So glad this is not the norm on this site because I got a fantastic price on a clean 2000 coupe, great advice on everything the past few months, spent a few grand and some hours eliminating all the notorious faults and moving along with the upgrades, intake upgrade, catch can, oil sender relocate, PCM tune, blackwing intake, headers, Corsa exhaust, fresh seat foam and upholstery with seat rail fixes and this car runs great. Once I finish painting the calipers after the C6 Z06 shock upgrade, all that is left are some water spots on the hood to take care of.

I did order the Zaino Z2 and found out the ZFX additive was mandatory to go with it and also (for some reason discontinued yet mandatory to use?) discontinued so cancelled order on all of the Zaino products (not going there) and switching back to what always worked for me but will give the clay bar a shot at the water spots on the hood. The car was garaged always except for the last 4 or 5 months on the market under cover outside as the brother in law was selling it for family because original owner was deceased a year earlier, car sat in garage a year until family had to sell it for the dollars, had to let it go.

Some say the clay bar will work and some say no, suppose we will see and will be sure post back with direct personal experience.

Thanks for the reply. This site is awesome!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

You don't need ZFX for the Z2. I have not used the ZFX with my Z2 in years. The ZFX helps "cure" the Z2 faster though. Something you may notice in very humid areas.

Here is my cleaning regiment for my car.
http://www.toquez06.com/clean.html

Its on my web site... www.ToqueZ06.com

Toque
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by Toque
You don't need ZFX for the Z2. I have not used the ZFX with my Z2 in years. The ZFX helps "cure" the Z2 faster though. Something you may notice in very humid areas.

Here is my cleaning regiment for my car.
http://www.toquez06.com/clean.html

Its on my web site... www.ToqueZ06.com

Toque
Thanks Mark. Your site is actually in my favorites. I used your torque numbers working on my engine 2 weeks ago. We all appreciate the time you put into your website.

But this is from the Zaino site...."YOU CHOOSE your Zaino foundation:
Z-AIO or ZFX is a mandatory part of the Zaino system. You can either use Z-AIO or ZFX as the base to the Zaino system. Z-AIO or ZFX must be used as an initial base and every 6 months on street driven cars or once a year on show cars. To apply multiple coats of Zaino in one day, use ZFX."

When folks are looking to try a product, we don't need to find out the next day after we order it that it is mandatory by the manufacturer to use with their other products they sell and spend hundreds of dollars just to wax a car, getting locked in to half a dozen of their products. Bad form in my book, by the manufacturer, so I have no use for Zaino products.

I have a cabinet full of products over the years that will get the job done. Many of us have very specific methods and range of products that work for us. But the clay bar is new to me, my first go around with it. Will see how it goes when I can get back out into the garage.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Thanks Mark. Your site is actually in my favorites. I used your torque numbers working on my engine 2 weeks ago. We all appreciate the time you put into your website.

Z-AIO or ZFX is a mandatory part of the Zaino system. You can either use Z-AIO or ZFX as the base to the Zaino system. Z-AIO or ZFX must be used as an initial base and every 6 months on street driven cars or once a year on show cars. To apply multiple coats of Zaino in one day, use ZFX."

When folks are looking to try a product, we don't need to find out the next day after we order it that it is mandatory by the manufacturer to use with their other products they sell and spend hundreds of dollars just to wax a car, getting locked in to half a dozen of their products. Bad form in my book, by the manufacturer, so I have no use for Zaino products.

I have a cabinet full of products over the years that will get the job done. Many of us have very specific methods and range of products that work for us. But the clay bar is new to me, my first go around with it. Will see how it goes when I can get back out into the garage.

Thanks.
Ive never used ZFX in 14 years... my car looks wet all the time. ON another note.. Clay, no matter who the manufacturer is is a nice product for surface contaminants.. but its not like using any other automotive product... It requires that you lubricate the surface..it has to be wet... any type of quick detailer will work.. you take the clay and kneed it until soft .. they you very lightly run it over the surface... no pressure.. if something is stuck in the surface it will pull it out.. when you run the clay over the surface it should glide across the surface.. it should never drag.. if you drag the clay, it will scratch the surface.. water spots require some abrasion and some elbow grease, you never want to rub clay you want to glide it... it should feel slippery.. if you do it right the clay will get dirty, turn black.. you then fold it over and kneed it again.. you can use clay for a long time even if its dark. Make sure you don't try to rub is like polish or compound... its not like applying any thing else you have done.
You want to spray an area about 2ft by 2ft, then clay that area, it doesn't matter which direction you rub it,, you can go in circles and then up and down, the idea is to draw out any that is on the surface. if you feel your finish and it feel anything but like glass, you need clay, when you do an area if will feel like glass when your done.. once the contaminants are removed you can then polish the surface...

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-26-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Adams, Adams, Adams. Excellent products. After claying and paint correction with polish I use Machine Super Sealant , Brilliant Glaze followed with Americana Wax.
Visit www.adamspolishes.com for complete video instructions.

Last edited by jlaw1313@comcast.net; 01-27-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks.
Thanks !

You just don't have to use the ZFX though. I know it says you do.... its BS. I don't and my Silver has a wicked wet look on it all the time. Its hard to make Silver shine.

Adam's makes some good stuff too that some of my friends use. I would use Adam's if I could not get Zaino.

Good luck !!!

Toque
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rejex.

Ease of application similar to NXT,but the "Wet Look"and finish protection lasts at least 6 times as long.
Use it on the glass also-no more need for wipers @ over 25mph...if you're one who drives the Vette in the rain.
Not recommended for those that like to spend a whole day Waxing your Vette - Applying Rejex only takes about 45 minutes,start to finish.
Great for wheels,too-keeps the brake dust from sticking .
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
doughboyofkcmo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just used meguires ultra polishing glaze 215 first then meguires gold wax with a craftsman 10 in orbital best results ive ever seen

Quick Reply: polish/wax?