Sponsored by:

[Z06] New to the C5Z community - Looking for some info

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
SpeedwearUSA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the C5Z community - Looking for some info

Hey everyone. My name is John. I'm in the process of purchasing my first Vette. It's a 2001 Z06.

What are some commonly known issues with them and what are some of the simple aftermarket mods that will enhance the performance of the vehicle?

The one I'm purchasing I know needs an ABS module and the drivers seat is torn, so I need to find replacement covers for the seats.

But, what else should I be looking for???and what should I expect out of this car?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Welcome....

ALL your questions and concerns can be found with the help of the search tab.

This is been covered at least 100 times in the past 12 months alone.

Enjoy your car!!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

welcome to the fourm.

do the usual things you would do to inspect any car before buying: history from the owner, any maint records avail, carfax, oasis report from the dealer, maybe an inspection to include checking for codes in the computer...etc. Would be good to know if the recalls have been done...esp on an '01 as they had a ring recall....also the column lock. I bet that ABS module is gonna be pricey...so I would consider that in the overall purchase versus other Z06's that are available.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
SpeedwearUSA
Racer

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
welcome to the fourm.

do the usual things you would do to inspect any car before buying: history from the owner, any maint records avail, carfax, oasis report from the dealer, maybe an inspection to include checking for codes in the computer...etc. Would be good to know if the recalls have been done...esp on an '01 as they had a ring recall....also the column lock. I bet that ABS module is gonna be pricey...so I would consider that in the overall purchase versus other Z06's that are available.
Carfax is clean. This is the 2nd owner of the car, he purchased it just over 10 years ago from the original owner.
He has all maintenance records including in 2006 Chevy replaced the entire engine due to a ticking noise that he began hearing. The Chevy tech inspected and deemed the engine a loss and under warranty got a complete new engine. He has all the paper work on that as well. The ABS module is $350, so that's not bad. Simple fix.

I'm getting the car for a really good price. I can't complain about that.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

There is a great Faq at the top of this forum...read it! Only real issue with '01s is some are Oil eaters....no big deal just something to know. New engine probably not. Curious what engine was put in in '06...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome...I got one .. Look for common problems or just follow the link like other guys mentioned .. But other than that it's gonna be a beast ..you'll Love it ...good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
SpeedwearUSA
Racer

Thanks guys. Thus far I'm loving the car. It's a blast to drive and I get looks all the time.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
There is a great Faq at the top of this forum...read it! Only real issue with '01s is some are Oil eaters....no big deal just something to know. New engine probably not. Curious what engine was put in in '06...
Since his car was under warranty, he probably received a crate LS6 engine. The previous owner of my Z replaced the blown engine in 2009 with a crate LS6 engine from GM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedwearUSA
Thanks guys. Thus far I'm loving the car. It's a blast to drive and I get looks all the time.
This thread is useless without pictures......

Get notified of new replies

To New to the C5Z community - Looking for some info

Quick Reply: [Z06] New to the C5Z community - Looking for some info