Sponsored by:

What will 10k get me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What will 10k get me?

Hello folks, hoping to purchase my first vette by the summer and my budget will be in the 10k range because i want to buy it straight out dont want a note, but as i look around i mostly see rebuild/salvage titles. Which raises a few questions...1. is it realistic that i find a good starter vette TURNKEY for around 10k? 2. whats a reason NOT to buy a salvage title vette? 3. is a c5 bad news once it passes 100k?what problems should i look out for with high mileage vettes? and finally 4. who will be looking to sell theyre 97-2000 vette (vert,targa,or frc) by late spring
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Ahhh, salvage...

Add 5k and start again...

Try and stay away from 97/98 unless they have had the
rings done...

Good luck with your search and welcome to the CF

Peace
Chip

Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
fishbust
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do a clean title & all together car with high miles 12k-ish.

Agree save a little more. You do not want to start off with someone elses butcher job/problems.

Be out there scouring the pavement and be ready to pounce on a great deal. You never know what you will find being in the right place at the right time. I got a great deal on mine and could have flipped it for many thousands more but it took a long time to find it and it was what I was looking for.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
Ahhh, salvage...

Add 5k and start again...

Try and stay away from 97/98 unless they have had the
rings done...

Good luck with your search and welcome to the CF

Peace
Chip

Thanx chip. Ive also seen that 15k seems more realistic for a VERY NICE c5, but then i seen a c5 black frc in the for sale section for like 9k sell lol! im hoping to get one before my birthday which is august, i dont want a note but i know if i took that 10k and put it down on something i can get a nice vette
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by fishbust
You can do a clean title & all together car with high miles 12k-ish.

Agree save a little more. You do not want to start off with someone elses butcher job/problems.

Be out there scouring the pavement and be ready to pounce on a great deal. You never know what you will find being in the right place at the right time. I got a great deal on mine and could have flipped it for many thousands more but it took a long time to find it and it was what I was looking for.
Good advice..Starting now hoping i find a good deal by the time things warm up. Seen a quicksilver 99 drop on craigslist for 13k obo. so maybe 12k would be a better starting point. Im making the transition from the bbody game so i know all about buying peoples butcher jobs
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
cadmando18
Instructor

Well just to keep it simple, if you are planning on buying a Corvette (or any car with age for that matter) you are going to have to budget a couple K on top of the 10k you plan on spending, just for those things you'll never know are wrong until you drive it for a while.

It also depends I think on what you're willing to put up with, and how strict your DEQ rules are around where you live.

There are a lot of good people on here with great experience, and that can cut down cost of a pre-owned Vette by a whole lot. Just do your research, 10k can run the gamut on good or not so good Vetts.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This car is for sale here in Socal. Can't believe it hasn't sold yet. Now that the early model EBCMs can be repaired the early C5s are really amazing deals imo.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...s-angeles.html
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by cadmando18
Well just to keep it simple, if you are planning on buying a Corvette (or any car with age for that matter) you are going to have to budget a couple K on top of the 10k you plan on spending, just for those things you'll never know are wrong until you drive it for a while.

It also depends I think on what you're willing to put up with, and how strict your DEQ rules are around where you live.

There are a lot of good people on here with great experience, and that can cut down cost of a pre-owned Vette by a whole lot. Just do your research, 10k can run the gamut on good or not so good Vetts.
Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
This car is for sale here in Socal. Can't believe it hasn't sold yet. Now that the early model EBCMs can be repaired the early C5s are really amazing deals imo.

Ok so going that low on a vette no bueno?i could save a couple more grand especially since im starting out now. Also i have to catch up on my acronyms i see
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350

yeah i saw that too smh im all the way in Philly tho, but still can not believe thats still sitting. exact color and everything i want too lol
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by z06Freshhh
Hello folks, hoping to purchase my first vette by the summer and my budget will be in the 10k range because i want to buy it straight out dont want a note, but as i look around i mostly see rebuild/salvage titles. Which raises a few questions...1. is it realistic that i find a good starter vette TURNKEY for around 10k? 2. whats a reason NOT to buy a salvage title vette? 3. is a c5 bad news once it passes 100k?what problems should i look out for with high mileage vettes? and finally 4. who will be looking to sell theyre 97-2000 vette (vert,targa,or frc) by late spring
You can find a good turn key starter Vette but it will probably be high mileage.

There's no problem with a high mileage Corvette, if it's received proper care and maintenance and has been in the hands of a true Corvette enthusiast. That means try to find a car that has NOT been leased, try to find an original owner which is ideal, with records and all. Try to get the history of the car which includes accident history.

You will more than likely in that budget range find a stock only car which is fine or a lightly modified with minors modifications.

Next you may NOT find the color you like. You may want a convertible and all you can find is a coupe.

Make a list of what you truly want. auto, manual, coupe, convertible.

Next study the market. I have purchased all 5 of my C5s from owners, not a dealer. Many dealer cars come from auctions and usually the history information doesn't come with the car.

I passed on a chance to buy a 99 FRC (Fixed roof coupe) last year, the seller wanted 12.5K It was high mileage and had a few issues. He had it for 6 months and finally offered it to me for 10K. I passed on it.

I decided to purchase either 2001 or newer, and the reason is due to some of the inherent issues and repairs that MAY, NOTE I SAID MAY, be needed for the early C5s.

Read, read and read and the more info you will find regarding some issues that are now showing up on early C5s as well as even the 2001-2004 models.

These cars are getting long in the tooth and availability of parts needs to be considered. Affordability versus sustainability is a key.

There are no sure fire dead nuts on answer for your questions. Some owners of early C5s have no issues while low mileage 2004 owners have humming rear ends that have never been abused.

There's a saying, buy the newest Vette with the lowest mileage in the best shape that YOU can afford.

That doesn't always work. Study, read, think, post questions, do searches, look at the sticky posts regarding all the information you can glean from this forum as well as talk to Vette club owners. Sometimes you can find a member looking to sell their car or they know someone.

Last thing you want to do is rush in to a decision, with minimal cash and buy someone's nightmare which you now own. Your excitement will quickly turn to disappointment and your experience will leave you wishing you would have waited.

Ask me how I know........................

Best of luck.......and caveat emptor........."BUYER BEWARE"......
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
cadmando18
Instructor

I would say save up. Save a couple more grand and get something you can enjoy without annoying stuff happening. It sounds like you are trying to avoid payments, but some times putting that much down on a newer used Vette might get you something even better for very vew $ a month.

But I don't know your situation, and I don't want to deviate much from your original idea. Yes you can find Corvettes for 10K, but I don't know how DYI you are, and I would want you to enjoy your Corvette as much as I do, instead of hating it for a bunch of problems someone else didn't take care of.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by z06Freshhh
Thanx chip. Ive also seen that 15k seems more realistic for a VERY NICE c5, but then i seen a c5 black frc in the for sale section for like 9k sell lol! im hoping to get one before my birthday which is august, i dont want a note but i know if i took that 10k and put it down on something i can get a nice vette
Maybe 12 -13k if you look around enough...

Save up a few extra bucks and you will be a little better off.

Compression test the cylinders before buying. Almost everything
else can be managed pretty reasonable now for C5s (as mentioned
above, the computers boards can now be rebuilt)

You'll love the car and this is a great place to learn the DIY fixes
which will save you a ton
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
Last thing you want to do is rush in to a decision, with minimal cash and buy someone's nightmare which you now own. Your excitement will quickly turn to disappointment and your experience will leave you wishing you would have waited.

Ask me how I know........................

Best of luck.......and caveat emptor........."BUYER BEWARE"......
Very well put! And impatience has left me more than one occasion! I'm not very DIY with the LSX tech im sure i could learn tho. I know the bbody lt1s pretty well. read read read is what i plan to do with these vettes because i really want to enjoy my experience
Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by cadmando18
I would say save up. Save a couple more grand and get something you can enjoy without annoying stuff happening. It sounds like you are trying to avoid payments, but some times putting that much down on a newer used Vette might get you something even better for very vew $ a month.

But I don't know your situation, and I don't want to deviate much from your original idea. Yes you can find Corvettes for 10K, but I don't know how DYI you are, and I would want you to enjoy your Corvette as much as I do, instead of hating it for a bunch of problems someone else didn't take care of.
What my fiance' said too maybe put down 10 on something that costs about 20 or less then have low payments
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

10K would make an excellent down payment..............

Or save a little more.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

Or save a little more.
Im leaning toward A lol
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Deals are out there if you are patient. I found mine for less than $10k here in Hawaii. I was aware of it needing a new steering wheel position sensor and a headlight gear but I knew I could fix those things myself. Timing was right as well since the previous owner wanted to sell to get a C6.

Get notified of new replies

To What will 10k get me?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC

Or save a little more.
Yes, A nice Down payment on a C7!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
z06Freshhh
Advanced

Originally Posted by andrec10
Yes, A nice Down payment on a C7!
Haha i wish! Ill need to buy that in cash too most likely when its time lol lets just say my credit is "nothing to write home about"
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

10k = high mileage, salvage, or neglected C5, or very nice C4 or 98+ F-body.

In general.

Quick Reply: What will 10k get me?