Sponsored by:

C5 Looks like a C1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Looks like a C1

I came across a picture on the below web page today. On car 16 the Studebaker Dictator you can see a C5 in the background made to look like a C1... thought it looked quite nice actually.

http://t.autos.msn.com/research/buyi...ver-1#image=12
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
swpowell
Racer

Hey! You are right, does look good.
I like the colour combo. Nice find.

Edit:
Poked around a bit and found this:
http://www.corvetteblog.com/2007/04/...c-c5-corvette/

Edit2:
Here is the company
http://www.crcoachworks.com/design.phtml

Last edited by swpowell; 01-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Personally I think it looks hideous, the windshield to name but one horrible aspect.
And for $65k - madness, but that's just me.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by usgecko
Personally I think it looks hideous, the windshield to name but one horrible aspect.

It's not just you. But I must say it is better than the kit to make it into a 53/54/55. This one I can see and still keep my dinner down.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

You're very right! None of the these guys that do these can figure out a way to put a c1 windshield on these things. That's what makes them so crappy looking.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Whoever drives that needs backhanded...
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think you guys have spent too much money on controlled substances, you should lay off that stuff. Those cars kick ***, big time. They are one sweet ride. There's a few companies doing them now, on C5 and C6 chassis. There were at least 3 C6's at Carlisle this year, all 63 and up conversions. Personally, I like that CRC 62 version the best. You need to see one in person, and you'll get the idea. For you guys to complain about the windshield? Seriously? You'd probably complain if you were hung with a new rope!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've seen a few of the conversions that actually did look pretty darn good. The one in the #12 pic did not look bad, at least from what could be seen.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took these pics several years ago when I was Vettless for a time. I thought the conversion was very well done and it attracted a lot of attention.

Okie

Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I think you guys have spent too much money on controlled substances, you should lay off that stuff. Those cars kick ***, big time. They are one sweet ride. There's a few companies doing them now, on C5 and C6 chassis. There were at least 3 C6's at Carlisle this year, all 63 and up conversions. Personally, I like that CRC 62 version the best. You need to see one in person, and you'll get the idea. For you guys to complain about the windshield? Seriously? You'd probably complain if you were hung with a new rope!
I've seen several in person and they look like crap. If you've ever owned a c1 and c2, you would realize that. Now go back to your can of Plasticdip.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Hey - each to their own but why pay 65k plus get a donor car when you could buy a real great looking classic C1 instead?

And yeah the windshield looks like

Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'd much prefer a Restomod with modern running gear. All these look like compromises in one respect or another.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Wkeil99hardtopred
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

horrid
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Dave Seigler
Advanced

Seen many. Restored one C1 , working on my second. These are just a waste of money for dentists and lawyers with too much cash and too few brain cells.

But one or the other.

You want a reliable C1? Then build it properly.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Seen them parked next to mine at car shows.......Mine is much better. Horrible way to recreate the C1 -2 and completely screw up the windshield.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave Seigler
Seen many. Restored one C1 , working on my second. These are just a waste of money for dentists and lawyers with too much cash and too few brain cells.

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Seen them parked next to mine at car shows.......Mine is much better. Horrible way to recreate the C1 -2 and completely screw up the windshield.
Hey - each to their own but why pay 65k plus get a donor car when you could buy a real great looking classic C1 instead?

And yeah the windshield looks like

Now just wait a cotton-pick'n minute here! First, Dave and usgecko, I don't WANT a C1! I, like many, like the way they look, but that is where it ends. I want a newer car. I can't drive one of those other than for the novelty. I have no interest in having a car that is driven 100 miles a year. I suppose some of the conversions are the same way, but if I had one, I'd drive it 8 months of the year. Who would want to drive a C1 daily? Sorry, not me. I like fuel injection (electronic type), engine management, up to date suspension, etc.

Then, Rick. Now you've done about as many mods to a car as can be done. Look at that Avatar for crying out loud. Now you stop in at this thread and complain that someone ELSE did a body conversion? I love the way your car looks, but, I like these 62 conversions as well. Ok, I'm not thrilled with the 63, I admit that. But I wouldn't own a 63 if it was 1/2 money of a 66. To each their own.

Nearly every person on this forum mods cars, and some even go so far as to say an unmodded car is stale and boring. So here's one seriously modded, with considerable time and effort I might add, and it gets bashed... Go figure?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave Seigler

But one or the other.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Looks like a C1

Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Now just wait a cotton-pick'n minute here! First, Dave and usgecko, I don't WANT a C1! I, like many, like the way they look, but that is where it ends. I want a newer car. I can't drive one of those other than for the novelty. I have no interest in having a car that is driven 100 miles a year. I suppose some of the conversions are the same way, but if I had one, I'd drive it 8 months of the year. Who would want to drive a C1 daily? Sorry, not me. I like fuel injection (electronic type), engine management, up to date suspension, etc.

Then, Rick. Now you've done about as many mods to a car as can be done. Look at that Avatar for crying out loud. Now you stop in at this thread and complain that someone ELSE did a body conversion? I love the way your car looks, but, I like these 62 conversions as well. Ok, I'm not thrilled with the 63, I admit that. But I wouldn't own a 63 if it was 1/2 money of a 66. To each their own.

Nearly every person on this forum mods cars, and some even go so far as to say an unmodded car is stale and boring. So here's one seriously modded, with considerable time and effort I might add, and it gets bashed... Go figure?
I have to disagree with you here. My 62 (avitar) was my every day driver in the summer. It was a blast to drive and easy to work on and upkeep. After that I had a 65 roadster that I did the same with. I had no problem not having fuel injection, power brakes, power steering, etc. on the 62. Shoot, it was a blast to get groceries in! The 65 was the same, only a little more refined, but I did drive them daily. Where did this myth come from that old vettes need to sit in the garage?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
I have to disagree with you here. My 62 (avitar) was my every day driver in the summer. It was a blast to drive and easy to work on and upkeep. After that I had a 65 roadster that I did the same with. I had no problem not having fuel injection, power brakes, power steering, etc. on the 62. Shoot, it was a blast to get groceries in! The 65 was the same, only a little more refined, but I did drive them daily. Where did this myth come from that old vettes need to sit in the garage?
How long ago are we talking about daily driving these things? If that was the 70's, well, fair enough, but today I'd take a retro'd C5 instead.

People generally make do with whatever they have the means to accomplish. For me, I bought a nice looking Vette that needed mechanical and electrical repairs because that is what I have tools and experience to work with. I don't have a paint shop or place to do body work. It's messy, and needs to be clean at the same time. I don't have the means to do a restoration on an old car like that. And I don't mean the cash, though I don't have unlimited cash either.

These CRC kits to me look amazing. I don't expect them to change the windshield angle. When I look at Rick's car above, I don't bust on him because he's got a widebody kit on the thing, like, "Well Rick, that body's NOT the same as a REAL C5". It is what it is, I appreciate all the things that make it NOT a Stock C5. That's the whole idea. This would be like me saying I think his car is a piece of crap because it has different fenders and a different hood and I just can't get myself to accept that change...

I'm not sure if it's a myth about C1's not being daily drivers, but I do not see many of them out around here. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw one other than at a car show, and I could go back 20 years and that's probably still true.

I'm also guilty of disliking some stuff folks here do to Vette's. I saw one painted flat black the other day, and it got WAY less bashing than these CRC kits. Like, none at all...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

...These CRC kits to me look amazing. I don't expect them to change the windshield angle. When I look at Rick's car above, I don't bust on him because he's got a widebody kit on the thing, like, "Well Rick, that body's NOT the same as a REAL C5". It is what it is, I appreciate all the things that make it NOT a Stock C5. That's the whole idea. This would be like me saying I think his car is a piece of crap because it has different fenders and a different hood and I just can't get myself to accept that change...

... I'm also guilty of disliking some stuff folks here do to Vette's. I saw one painted flat black the other day, and it got WAY less bashing than these CRC kits. Like, none at all...
Oh I'm fine with people thinking my car looks like crap

And the C1 make believe is ok in my opinion....but you'd seriously think they would have done the one iconic part that stands out the most....the windshield!

I've seen the insides really up close, (cause I was in the research phase for my color change) and knew then I could do it too.

I never begrudge a guys honest opinion....everyone has one. Even the Puritans with big buckle black shoes who freak about modded Vettes....

Last edited by sfc rick; 01-11-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Looks like a C1