Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need advice and to vent....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
sherry_obrien
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all the GREAT people who gave me advice today on this issue. YOU GUYS ROCK!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
sherry_obrien
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fendermender
Funny all the references to women geting taken advantage of. I know some pretty gullible fellers too.

I agree with others about finding an independent. I have a bodyshop and some of the worst repairs I have seen came out of dealers. Far as the car goes it's 11yo. If you don't want to spend money on repairs....buy a Honda.
LOL. I know.....but I don't want a Honda!!! So the repairs will have to be paid for. Thanks!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Ozzysezit
Advanced

Sherry, first of all, Im very sorry for your loss.
One thing that alot of Women in Calif. are doing is asking for a Workmanship Warranty. Most reputable shops will guarantee workmanship for at least 1 year. Part failure of course would not be covered, but overtorquing parts or leaving parts too loose to try to get another diagnostic fee would be under warranty. Any damage done because of this unscrupulous activity would be the liability of the repair shop.
Another thing that you could bring up in the conversation with the mechanic is that you have your attorney taking care of bills etc.
Any time you mention "attorney" to a disreputible shop, they will stiffen up and either do you right or turn you away from any future repairs.
Last but not least, as is spoken here on the Forums, Find a very reputable repair shop in your area. I believe Angies List will only list A+ shops, so you might try that.
A Corvette is like a child, you cant toss her away for a few little problems but with a reputable Shop you can keep your baby for many years to come!

Last edited by Ozzysezit; 01-10-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 PM
CBZZZC5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
If it is payed for keep it! Find a corvette specialty shop, join a local corvette club (you will meet nice folks and get good local advice and have some fun too). Dealerships are notorius for drumming up business and overdoing repairs. Best of luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm not sure how many miles you have on your car and you don't give too many details about your car so it's hard to tell what you should do.

There are some high mileage vettes out there. The oil pan gasket is a ball buster job as the front cradle has to be dropped to get to the oil pan off. The gasket is pretty expensive too since it's a combination of metal and rubber. The gasket is actually popped riveted the the oil pan so that you can not slide it out and replace it easily.

Lots of members on here that help each other out. Time to find a few forum friends in your neighborhood.

Originally Posted by sherry_obrien
Yes I am hoping that doesn't happen to me. I love her and hopes she doesn't need repairs too frequently BTW great member picture of the flaming tires. Where did you get that?? I have to change my picture when I get a chance.

Also today's ended up paying 975 for the oil pan leak gaskets, it was top one leaking, oil, labor was 90% of cost. I will be definately looking for corvette club so this doesn't happen again. Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like you're leaning towards keeping the car.
You may not be able to fix your car yourself, but you sure can find out what's wrong with it. Next time you have an issue, post what codes come up. We should be able to tell you exactly what's wrong. The video won't help you with an oil leak though!

Peter
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you also might fill out your profile so people can see where you are at, and maybe then you could get some local help.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Okay........Not saying that you weren't targeted because of being a female (that is one of the oldest scams in the book), but am looking to reinforce some of the advice as to finding a local, conscientious mechanic who stands behind his work and his reccomendations as to what is needed. He will not always be right, everyone makes a mistake once in a while, however, if he is trying to give you the best possible advice then he will be the first to say, "Wait a minute, that may not be right!"

In my younger days, I am a teacher now, I spun wrenches for a living and thoroughly enjoyed my work. I worked on every vehicle as if it were my own and always wanted to have it go out right...and stay out because it was right!!!!! However, no one is perfect.......

I did a differential gear (ratio) change, front and rear, on a four wheel drive pick-up one time and everything came out great. I did it in one day (all day) and delivered it to the customer. He loved it and came back to say so after the test-drive. I was very tired at the end of the day and went home to relax and watch TV that evening. Uh-Oh, while watching TV, it occurred to me that I couldn't remember specifically torqueing the bearing cap bolts in the rear differential!!!!!!

I went in the first thing the next morning and told my service manager about my doubts and worries as to the situation and asked if he would please call the customer and have him bring the truck in ASAP for me to check it. As it turned out, I was right!! The bolts were tight, but had not been torqued as I got about three quarters or more turns on each one when I applied my torque wrench and brought them up to spec. Whew!!! Major "come-from-together" averted!!!!

Not only was the customer not upset, he was impressed that his vehicle did not leave our thoughts as soon as it left the lift!!!! He ended being a very loyal and steady customer.

My point is that when you find a good and conscientious mechanic, you will find that he takes as much pride in his work as you do in your Corvette and that in a way......it kinda' belongs to him as well. Therefore, the last thing he will want to do is anything less than the best job he is capable of doing!!!!

Good luck with your search and I hope you can find someone who will love your car with you!

Sorry that this was so long.

DSTURBD
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sherry_obrien
Yes I am hoping that doesn't happen to me. I love her and hopes she doesn't need repairs too frequently BTW great member picture of the flaming tires. Where did you get that?? I have to change my picture when I get a chance.

Also today's ended up paying 975 for the oil pan leak gaskets, it was top one leaking, oil, labor was 90% of cost. I will be definately looking for corvette club so this doesn't happen again. Thanks
Hi Sherry,

Folks were all complaining about another member's avatar when I realized I didn't even have one. So off I went to find something that representrd my user name and the vette. That avatar started out as a computer background screen and I shrunk it and cropped it.

I must say that I got lucky when I moved here to Broward to find a shop that spends your money like it is their own. During my child rearing years, they did most my big work that I didn't have the time for.

The forum guys are right, a good club membership is worth its weight in gold. Good luck!

-Bruce
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
As others have mentioned, contact local forum and club folk to get the best mechanics and pricing.

Personally, I offer my help, garage and time to anyone who contacts me locally when they are unable to do repairs themselves and need to keep the costs to a minimum. I've done everything from installing HID headlights to adjusting exhaust systems - big or small, doesn't matter. I have a member coming by this weekend for a full fluids change, etc. on the lift because he no longer has a garage to do his car maintenance on. That's what this forum is all about - reaching out to each other to enjoy these cars and keep them on the road.

Hopefully, someone local to you will chime in with some relief.
This, my friends, is what this forum is all about. Patches is the poster child for what the Corvette Forum is all about. A great mechanic and great poster, but better yet, a great person!! Sure wished I lived closer to him and Mrs. Patches. Great, great people.

Quick Reply: I need advice and to vent....