C5 Seat Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
timjim57
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Seat Difference?

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to replace the seats in my C5 coupe with seats from a C5 convertible. Is there any difference in the seats or should they bolt right in? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by timjim57
Hi Everyone,
I am looking to replace the seats in my C5 coupe with seats from a C5 convertible. Is there any difference in the seats or should they bolt right in? Any help would be appreciated.
Direct bolt-in. No difference.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Your seats will bolt right in.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
timjim57
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys! Just wanted to be sure before i purchased the seats!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Thanks guys! Just wanted to be sure before i purchased the seats!
Seat tracks and mechanical bolt-up is identical. The only difference will be power vs non-power, etc so, depending on what your old seat has versus the replacement. Some seats have six-way power and no lumbar adjuster and some seats do for example.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
timjim57
Heel & Toe

The seats in my car and the replacements are both power. I have 6-way power standard seats and the replacements are 6-way power sport seats. But the replacements the seats only move forward and back, when you try to tilt you hear the motor try but nothing happens. My current driver seat does the same thing. I can use my current passenger track for the new passenger seat, as it still moves all six ways. Any idea what could be wrong with the driver to make it not tilt or raise? Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

The seats in my car and the replacements are both power. I have 6-way power standard seats and the replacements are 6-way power sport seats. But the replacements the seats only move forward and back, when you try to tilt you hear the motor try but nothing happens. My current driver seat does the same thing. I can use my current passenger track for the new passenger seat, as it still moves all six ways. Any idea what could be wrong with the driver to make it not tilt or raise? Hope this makes sense.
If the motors are still humming then it is likely that the plastic worm drive gears are shot. On my '99, the rear up/down went last year. The plastic just gave out and split so that it would no longer move along the screw drive. Look for pieces of white or black plastic under the seat. I swapped the seat track assembly out for a rebuilt one. Workin' fine now and should be moving my big ole' behind up and down for several years.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

There are three electric motors. One for front-to-rear movement only, and the other two raise/lower either the front, or the rear area of the seat. I would suspect a broken piece of hardware somewhere that only removal and inspection can reveal. It may be a broken mounting bracket or a broken "yolk" link. The "yolk" portion of the mechanism was plastic on many seats and may have fractured. These items are not available as separate pieces, but can be cannibalised from another seat base that is otherwise unusable.

This shows one such broken yolk (some call it a "clevis") that looks to be one that someone has tried to repair:

Here's another:

This shows a broken mounting bracket for one of the two raise/lower motors:

The good news as far as the broken bracket is that there may be repair kits for the broken brackets available. This kit provides a new mounting bracket (they call it a "tab") as well as shims to repair the "rocking seat" syndrome.

HTH
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM
timjim57
Heel & Toe

Thanks K9 and LoneStar, When i get the new seats and finally get to take the old seats out i will know what to look for. LoneStar, the pics are very helpful for a 'Vette noob like myself. I think it may be a broken bracket on my driver as the seat does have a rocking motion to them if you move just right. Is it difficult to remove the seat from the track?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

.......... Is it difficult to remove the seat from the track?
No, not particulary. I would advise setting up a work area with a blanket or similar and remove the seat and flip upside down. You can then see the mounting points more clearly. If you have any concerns about disassembly/re-assembly, I would advise simply to take pictures as you go. It's a bit tedious, but not particularly hard really.
Once you have the seat base separated, it's much easier to work on the needed repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Seat Difference?

Quick Reply: C5 Seat Difference?