Sponsored by:

Help Please: Tail Light Lens Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM
WTX99
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please: Tail Light Lens Replacement

I have a 99' with new halo led tail lights. The lenses are Red, i'd like to swap them for clear lenses but am unsure how to remove the original lenses, can you help please?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First you will have to remove the engine and drivetrain completly to get to the muffler bearing retaining pin ...............................
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

There are two torx screws in the taillights, remove them and gently pry the lights out. Push the tab on the side of the bulb socket and twist, then remove. You're done.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming you don't trash the lights trying to remove the lenses, they will look like crap with clear lenses.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Are you wanting to remove the LED Halos and install clear lenses or are you wanting to replace the red LED halo lenses with clear LED halo lenses?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Oooooo Brother, Here we go.....

Now I can't keep my mouth shut.... Why on earth would you want clear tail light?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Big Duk
Pro

^ well!!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you are wanting to remove the red outer lense, that will be a job. Might want to check and make sure something like you propose is legal in your state first.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It's his car and he is entitled to do what he wants without approval of this board or anyone on it...............
...and since this is a public forum, we have the right to comment on both good (and bad) ideas and mods that are both legal and illegal. If he wants only "feel good" responses, he should ask his family. Personally, I think a hacked up, clear LED Halo lens will look like crap, however you're right that it's his car and his money.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-29-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Looks aside, I don't think that would work. Those things are sonically welded together, and you'd probably destroy them trying to separate. My $.02.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

So it's a red LED and a clear lens?

I guess as long as it shows red to tjhe rear at night and for braking . .
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill

Now I can't keep my mouth shut.... Why on earth would you want clear tail light?
Yeh Bill, and he still has to pull that engine! lots of work just for that "LOOK"!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default I wouldn't do it....

I do not think you will even find a "clear" cover. I do not think you can "easily" take the lens off. It would end up looking like the pic below and only if the halo ring is red. I would think the halo ring is "white light" and only made red by the lens. If the halo ring is white light it would be too bright if that is the case...

By the way I have never seen a car on the forum with the lights in the pic...probably anyone who did buy and install them either sent them back or does not want to get "beat up" by the bullies in the forum...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Johnz02Z06; 12-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

If your halo tail lights were purchased before 2011 you can remove the lens with a sharp screwdriver and a lot of patience.

Finding a clear-lens replacement will be impossible. You will have to make one.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It's his car and he is entitled to do what he wants without approval of this board or anyone on it...............
Allllll Righty then....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
WTX99
Navigator

Default Help Please: Tail Light Lens Replacement

Thank you to those with positive, helpful feedback. Your input is appreciated.

MSG C5: i'm trying to replace red lenses with clear ones that have already been purchased. I've seen it before, just wanted to research the best way to process the swap.

8VETTE7: Thank you for professional reply.

VETTEMAN JACK: Thank you for reply. You have a good point, something i've thought about but was willing to roll legal-dice banking on thinking the law mainly cares about "light color" vs. "lens-color", we'll see eh.

PHILSFRC: Thank you for the feedback.

I've tried reaching out to the guy the lenses were purchased from looking for a suggestion & he recommended a forum. Some of the responses made me think the request should have been more clear so just in case you can still help please allow me to recap: i purchased halo led lights, there is no problem installing the actual light/lamp; i've separately purchased just lenses only, clear ones. i've seen them on others & given my color scheme it's simply a personal preference to swap them. The tough part is figuring out how to remove the red lenses from the original lights to swap with clear ones. The original red lenses seem 'sealed' and i simply wanted to see if someone knew the best way to remove those, replace with new ones.

I hope the additional explanation details may be helpful within your potential response. I am new at this forum-thing & I really appreciate your time & professional input. Yall take care & i look forward to your reply, Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill

ive got my popcorn ready for this one

Get notified of new replies

To Help Please: Tail Light Lens Replacement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Originally Posted by WTX99
i've separately purchased just lenses only, clear ones. i've seen them on others & given my color scheme it's simply a personal preference to swap them. The tough part is figuring out how to remove the red lenses from the original lights to swap with clear ones. The original red lenses seem 'sealed' and i simply wanted to see if someone knew the best way to remove those, replace with new ones.
Do you have a link to where you saw them? Methinks you saw the DEPO LED tail lights.....NOT the same thing as halo leds with a clear lens....
A) You're going to destroy your tail lights trying to separate the lenses...trust me.
B) It will look like crap with clear lenses...trust me.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 PM
shoribs
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I have done the clear taillight lens thing, it's not that hard just time consuming. I used a Dremel tool with a cutting blade, take your time and find the seem where the red lens meets the taillight bucket and start cutting. When you get the red lens cut away from the bucket you will have to clean up the surface as best you can. I don't have halo's in mine, I used a LED tower bulb's that have 15 red LED's on it. You then use a good silicone adhesive and put the lens back on the bucket. I used wood working clamp's to hold them together until they set up. Most of these clear lens where made in Mexico and they have to be fitted to you taillight bucket, they are not made with the same quality your stock one's do. I don't have any pictures I can post but if you go to my avatar and click on the photo's it will bring up some pictures of the car. As far as some of the comments made about ruining the car, and they look terrible. You couldn't make some of these guys happy if you hung them with a new rope. It's your car do what you want with it. I have shown the car for the last 8 yrs and it is a consistent winner. I think I have an extra set of the lens if anyone is interested.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 AM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by shoribs
I have done the clear taillight lens thing, it's not that hard just time consuming. I used a Dremel tool with a cutting blade, take your time and find the seem where the red lens meets the taillight bucket and start cutting. When you get the red lens cut away from the bucket you will have to clean up the surface as best you can. I don't have halo's in mine, I used a LED tower bulb's that have 15 red LED's on it. You then use a good silicone adhesive and put the lens back on the bucket. I used wood working clamp's to hold them together until they set up. Most of these clear lens where made in Mexico and they have to be fitted to you taillight bucket, they are not made with the same quality your stock one's do. I don't have any pictures I can post but if you go to my avatar and click on the photo's it will bring up some pictures of the car. As far as some of the comments made about ruining the car, and they look terrible. You couldn't make some of these guys happy if you hung them with a new rope. It's your car do what you want with it. I have shown the car for the last 8 yrs and it is a consistent winner. I think I have an extra set of the lens if anyone is interested.
WOW! GAWDY!!! i know that everyone has their own prefrences but..... be glad i wasn't a judge in any shows you entered... sorry just had to be honest... nice motorhome though.......

Quick Reply: Help Please: Tail Light Lens Replacement