Sponsored by:

Pics of my old FRC and new viper

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of my old FRC and new viper

I took these pics a while ago and figured CF might want to see them. I had the black FRC for 3 years before selling it for the viper. I had both at the same time for about a month while I waited for the FRC to sell. Still have good memories of that car

Just the viper:

Last edited by SlowFRC; 12-22-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Lets see, Vette- Dodge......
Nice looking Dodge.
Mr.Bill
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Lets see, Vette- Dodge......
Nice looking Dodge.
Mr.Bill
Agreed.....
Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a NICE pair!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That was a fine looking FRC you had. And the Viper looks great - how about a little info comparing the two - would like to hear what your impressions are.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That was a fine looking FRC you had. And the Viper looks great - how about a little info comparing the two - would like to hear what your impressions are.
Thanks, I've had passing thoughts about getting back into an frc but it would have to be arctic white with mod red and the markup that people want for that color combo is too much IMO.

As for the two I'll give a bullet points version.

- FRC was a bolt on car, obviously much slower than the viper, had a lot less power down low, the low end power bothered me after a while

- FRC was a little bit more comfortable, viper has harder interior surfaces (example: door panel has no padding at all so elbow gets numb if you rest it on the door) but obviously neither are comfort vehicles

- I felt a more confident pushing the frc hard but this also has to do with the lack of low end power, if you give the viper any power in a turn the rear breaks loose on you really quickly, vette had less power and thus wasn't as susceptible to this. Viper obviously has no traction control which makes me a little less likely to push it, viper also had no abs and I've locked the wheels up before, obviously not very confidence inspiring

- Vette got much better gas mileage but who cares

- Viper puts the power down the power a lot better but I'm sure 345 rears help. I can go WOT in viper in 1st with no spin and the viper makes about 440rwhp, the vette with about 330 rwhp and 295s in the rear would sometimes spin in 1st

- FRC overall felt looser/softer. Everything in the viper is tighter, example being the steering feel, much heavier clutch in the viper, etc...

- Viper obviously gets a lot more attention, always get people saying "hey man what year is your masterati" and whatnot

Overall I think I'm a little happier in the viper but not as much as i'd hoped. I think the main thing holding the viper back is the lack of confidence that it inspires. I'm always worried is getting loose on me and once that rear starts to drift away on you it's really hard to bring it back. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the car yet.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 PM
1SGRET
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

[QUOTE=SlowFRC;1582636242]Thanks, I've had passing thoughts about getting back into an frc but it would have to be arctic white with mod red and the markup that people want for that color combo is too much IMO.

The '99 and '00 FRC Arctic White did not come optioned with Mod Red interior, however, you could get an '01 Speedway White Z06 with Mod Red interior.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SGRET
The '99 and '00 FRC Arctic White did not come optioned with Mod Red interior, however, you could get an '01 Speedway White Z06 with Mod Red interior.
When I say FRC i count Z06s too. After all, they too are fixed roof coupes.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM
TIKTGTR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are bad a$$ cars man. Was wondering if you doubted your choice. I have always like the Vipers myself. Could have slung a blower and LT's o that FRC and given a viper a run
Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

Originally Posted by TIKTGTR
Both are bad a$$ cars man. Was wondering if you doubted your choice. I have always like the Vipers myself. Could have slung a blower and LT's o that FRC and given a viper a run
My frc had full exhaust. In the end the viper is the better performance car all around. Sure i could have added power to the vette but it would have taken a lot more effort/money to get similar results. The viper has a forged motor and a much stronger tranny, rear, and clutch, all it takes is a set of twins and a fuel system and you're at mid 800s rwhp with a much more broad power band than you'd get with a smaller vette motor.

Last edited by SlowFRC; 12-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice pics! Don't get to see those two cars together for a photo shoot too often.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:03 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Both nice cars, good luck with your new ride
Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Very cool pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

I'd rather have the FRC with a stroker motor, but I can understand the draw towards the Viper for some people.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 AM
SL1D3R
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I have never been in a Viper.

Also, you have a big garage.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've said it hundreds of times and I'll say it again. You just can't beat the looks of a C5 Z06 or FRC.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

VERY nice taste... what year is the snake, and do you drive it daily??

I have heard the interior on the viper is actually worse than the vette (comfort, materials). Cant imagine it.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM
SlowFRC
Racer

Originally Posted by SL1D3R
I have never been in a Viper.

Also, you have a big garage.
If you ever get a chance to ride in one I suggest taking it. Love it or hate it, it's definitely an experience.

Lol, I park in a public parking garage. I put the viper between two pillars so no worries of door dings. Also, since it's a few levels underground the temperature and humidity is more consistent so it's probably actually better for the car.

Originally Posted by esemes
VERY nice taste... what year is the snake, and do you drive it daily??

I have heard the interior on the viper is actually worse than the vette (comfort, materials). Cant imagine it.
Viper is a 98, I do not drive it daily. I've but about 4k miles on it since I got it 6 months ago. I'd never want to drive it as a daily, the car is too rough, I'd hate it after a week.

Yeah the interior is pretty bad. A lot of people complain about the crappy vinyl covered center console in the c5, well at least that's padded. The viper center console is just hard plastic. It was other amusing quirks like the lumbar support for the seat. It's just a balloon that you pump up, look like something out of a cartoon.

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of my old FRC and new viper

Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 AM
ERDOC
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful cars! I had a 1996 GTS second generation Viper and a 2005 third generation Viper, they have improved since then, but they didn't have ABS or traction control in the second generation and they were a handful in the rain and on the track. I've had nine years of Viper ownership. The older second generation GTS was by far my favorite with the classic Viper lines. Be careful raising and lowering the hood - replacement hoods run $9000. Even with the "double bubble roof" the headroom was limited if you are over 6 ft. I had the aftermarket seat lowering kit and it helped. Knee and leg room around the steering wheel is another issue to deal with if you are tall. The Vipers were basically kit cars and I always kept a screw driver and torx on hand to keep things tight on the dashboard and console. Anything longer than two hours is an ordeal in a Viper and with the exhaust pipes going right under the seats, it never really gets cool inside with the AC if it's over 85F and I had the aftermarket heat barriers over the pipes under the cockpit. They all squeak and rattle and Viper owners refer to it as Venom Music. With all that said, they are incredibly fast (high 11 quarter mile times in stock form) and you are going to attract MUCH MUCH more attention wherever you go in your Viper than you actually want. On the road people stare at your Viper and actually turn into you. There is a cockpit rumble from the V10 that is not at all smilar to a V8. If you love fast cars you should own a Viper once and get it out of your system, and it will make you appreciate the comfort and civil manners of the Corvette. Dealers treat the Viper as a stepchild and getting parts can take over a week. I had the same front license plate issue with the Viper I have with my Corvettes. At Viper events, the average age of ownership is also higher. My personal opinion is that the Viper Forum is the best car forum on the Internet, You don't have to put up with ads and registering VIN #s gets rid of posers. Would I trade my C5 Z06 or ZR1 for a Viper again .......NO, but being 6 ft 5 is a big part of my decision.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
Both nice cars, good luck with your new ride
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Johnson 92
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 90 Posts
C5 of the Month 6/13

Originally Posted by 3318C5