Sponsored by:

Headlamps won't retract

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
pjk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamps won't retract

Been away for awhile,but could use some help.Was driving in the rain this A.M.,turned the headlamps on.Got to my destination,turned the lights off,but the headlamps did not retract.Vette is a 2004 zo6,the Z16.When I arrived home,I checked the fuses,ok.I manually retracted the lights,turned the lights back on.They popped right up,but still will not retract when turned off.AQnybody have this problem,or have the answer?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they HID and are you sure you don't have a burnt out bulb?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Usually happens when you have a burnt out bulb. Did you check that both headlights were lit?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You could have a faulty Headlamp actuator control module or a bad switch on the steering column. You could also have a bad ground for the headlamp actuator control module.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 AM
smglass21
Intermediate

i have a 2000,battery died,since i jumped it lights work but don't retract,can't figure it out,i know if i take it to a dealer their going to soak me,
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 AM
philn1
Cruising

Originally Posted by pjk
Been away for awhile,but could use some help.Was driving in the rain this A.M.,turned the headlamps on.Got to my destination,turned the lights off,but the headlamps did not retract.Vette is a 2004 zo6,the Z16.When I arrived home,I checked the fuses,ok.I manually retracted the lights,turned the lights back on.They popped right up,but still will not retract when turned off.AQnybody have this problem,or have the answer?
I don't drive my vette alot so it sat in the garage and the battery would wear down. The couple times I would drive it on the weekend my lights did not retract either. I had to keep the car running to turn off the lights and have them retract. If I turned the car off and then turned the lights off, they would not retract. I have since bought a trickle charger to keep the battery charged. SInce then I have no issues with the lights retracting. With the car on or off. Also, I have the ACA projector setup with HID.

I think the battery needs to have a certain level of charge for them to work.

Just my experience.

Phil

Last edited by philn1; 08-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

It's been said before but this happens most often due to low current draw in the headlight actuator/module assembly. Pretty common with HIDs or with burnt out bulbs.

The best way to test it is to turn on your brights before you turn off the headlights.

If that doesn't work it is either your actuator assembly or switch stalk (as blacksedan87 said).
Old 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM
spahnzo
3rd Gear

Default headlights won't retract

I had a burnt out front turn signal bulb and after consulting the forum, I tried removal by turning on the headlights and removal of the shroud. After breaking the bulb and slicing my thumb open, I tried the other method of getting the car elevated and going through the access panel. It seems that if under dash fuse #6 for the parking lamps is blown the headlights won't retract.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamps won't retract

Quick Reply: Headlamps won't retract