Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone applied a clear powder coat to aftermarket aluminum wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Has anyone applied a clear powder coat to aftermarket aluminum wheels?

Seems to me like it would make them really easy to keep clean, and would probably be more durable than a regular clear coat.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Bump. Just moved thread from C5 Z06 to C5 General.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Talk to any quality wheel refinisher they do it all the time, in fact the factory uses clear powder coat on some wheels.
I know that is what is used on my CTS coupe, the wife scraped 2 wheels the day after I purchased it new and when I looked into fixing them that is what I was told by 3 different refinishers.

In the end I went with new wheels because they were torn up to badly.
Also my factory mags were clear powder coated on my 98 vette, don't ask how I know.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of this plenty of times.

If you were planning on doing this yourself i'd highly advise against that. I am unaware of what kind of prep work would be needed to get a good bond to the aluminum. Prep work is the base to any good paint job, so either do it right or don't do it at all.

However i could see this being pretty inexpensive if gone to the correct people. Wheel refinishes are pretty cheap. Even for massive fixes they do wonders!

A friend of mine's wife got some good curb rash on their brand knew gs350 f sport. They called a guy i recommended who does it at your house in a trailer. In an hour and a half of work, the wheels look brand new!. In all i think they spent 85 dollars that's for fixing the material and matching finishes. Also if i'm not mistaken it was for 2 wheels

I'd assume a person who refinishes wheels would easily be able to coat the wheels in clear for a good price. I know that guy offered to do black chrome on my wheels for about 100 per wheel.

Not bad at all considering what wheels cost now adays. Here is how i found the guy i know. I went to a local wheel shop who specializes in replacing tires, and sell wheels in house. Well i went in and asked them if they could fix curb rash (knowing they couldn't) and they gave me a number to a guy they give to customers who have those type of problems. Once i knew the shop trusted this guy, i knew he knew what he was doing. It made me skeptical when i heard he came to your house.

Last edited by Default; 12-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I used to specify the coatings for aluminum wheels in my working days...I've toured most of the OEM wheel factories. Yes, the factory coating is acrylic powder or paint. The key is to not put it on too thick or it will look milky...too thin and it will look blotchy. Poor preparation of the surface, and it will peel off. Recommended thickness is less than 2 mils.

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 12-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Default
A friend of mine's wife got some good curb rash on their brand knew gs350 f sport. They called a guy i recommended who does it at your house in a trailer. In an hour and a half of work, the wheels look brand new! ...Once i knew the shop trusted this guy, i knew he knew what he was doing. It made me skeptical when i heard he came to your house.
A mobile powder coater?? Yeah, I'd be crazy skeptical of a powder coating that's applied in a trailer in 90 minutes.

I found a shop not too far away that seems to specialize in this stuff - http://www.americoatpowdercoating.co...R_COATING.html. They have 10'x10'x20' booths for sandblasting, powder coating, and curing, and all 11 of their Yelp reviews are 5 stars. I'll probably give them a call when the time comes.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

Cool idea !
In for pics...

Toque
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by skyavonee
A mobile powder coater?? Yeah, I'd be crazy skeptical of a powder coating that's applied in a trailer in 90 minutes.
I was too until i saw the results. A little what eased me over was the shops impression of the guy. But i have to say the wheels look perfect.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Toque
Cool idea !
In for pics...

Toque
Unless someone else uploads pics, you'll be waiting a while... I don't even have my wheels yet!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

I think dennis at Double D mods had a set of wheels ceramic clear coated. Check with him.

Toque
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 388 Posts

I had my HREs done with a polished and cleared outer. The center is brushed and cleared. They look great and require no polishing. They look as good now as they did 3-1/2 years ago when I got them.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 7LitreC5; 12-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

One of these days I'm going to try some of this stuff on my semi-truck aluminum wheels.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/diamondf...clearcoat.html

Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,805 Posts

I'd rather have bare aluminum myself so I could fix any road rash myself without having to go through the process and expense of having someone else fix damaged clearcoat.

I'm seriously considering stripping my polished thin spokes and leaving them bare.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
I had my HREs done with a polished and cleared outer. The center is brushed and cleared. They look great and require no polishing. They look as good now as they did 3-1/2 years ago when I got them.
Is that a clear powder coat, or a traditional clear coat?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 388 Posts

It is clear powder coat.

Is that a clear powder coat, or a traditional clear coat?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Roc87
Burning Brakes

Be sure to ask to see previous work on polished aluminum. I had bought a used set of MT Classics for my truck. Spent around 3 hours on each one sanding/buffing, they turned out fantastic. Took them to a local powdercoater and when I picked them up they went from nearly chrome looking to a dull charcoal/metallic look. I complained and the owner said that's what happens on polished aluminum, after complaining longer he didn't charge me. Ended up selling them for what I originally purchased them for
Old 12-25-2012, 02:02 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I had my Boze ZE Forged Tach wheels finished with ceramic clear

Never had to do anything with them for 3 years I had them on the car but wipe them down.

Last edited by Double D Mods; 12-25-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Toque
I think dennis at Double D mods had a set of wheels ceramic clear coated. Check with him.

Toque
your correct

80.00 a wheel extra from Boze
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 523 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Powder coat is about the easiest thing in the world to apply. You spray it on, and it can't run. Any excess just drips off in the oven. You bake it, and let it cool, done. No reason to be skeptical.

I have to say, those wheels of Dennis at DD Mods look REALLY nice. I'm not sure what ceramic clear is, but it's lookin' pretty good to me. I've had the clearcoated wheels in the past and I have to say I was never thrilled with them. Mine are uncoated and just corrode, like anything left to sit out. I figure that's why they invented Mothers Mag/Alum polish!

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone applied a clear powder coat to aftermarket aluminum wheels?

Quick Reply: Has anyone applied a clear powder coat to aftermarket aluminum wheels?