Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Try To Polish Up OEM Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Anyone Try To Polish Up OEM Mufflers?

Has anyone here removed the black paint and polished the mufflers on their OEM exhaust? They are stainless steel, correct? Do they polish up nicely?

I have an extra exhaust system that was hardly used. A while back I started to strip off the black paint, but never did get far enough into the project to find out if the mufflers themself can be polished to looking good.

If you are wondering why I don't just buy a Corsa or something, I really wanted to keep the OEM look except for the black mufflers of which the black paint never holds up well.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

If it would be worth the time and effort to polish a stock set of mufflers to you, then I would say go ahead and give it a shot. I know it wouldn't be worth the time for me. Might be worth considering getting them powder coated if you really want to keep the OEM look. A better option may be to find a set of B&B Route 66 Mufflers. They come polished stainless steel.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

But if you want to try, I have a Word file on polishing SS exhaust to get it to a mirror like finish. I'll see how large the file is when I get home and if within the forum limits, I'll post it up here as an attachment. If not, just PM me your e-mail address and I can send it to you that way.

EDIT: the file is 11.6 MB so no way I can just attach it to this post. PM me your email address and I'll send it that way.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 12-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Are you sure they're Satinless?

I put a titanium ZO6 oem exhaust on my C5 and it's all around better. My original exhaust (from my y2k) attracts magnets like crazy which most stainless steels will not do. No scrap yard was interested in the original exhaust system which makes me doubtful that it's stainless. I'd check it out before putting a lot of work into it. good luck!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
I put a titanium ZO6 oem exhaust on my C5 and it's all around better. My original exhaust (from my y2k) attracts magnets like crazy which most stainless steels will not do. No scrap yard was interested in the original exhaust system which makes me doubtful that it's stainless. I'd check it out before putting a lot of work into it. good luck!
Yep they are stainless, but extremly low grade Corvette was the first domestic to make the entire exhaust system from stainless in 1984.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
Not surprising, I have seen the mufflers rust out in those who have seen a bad life in a corrosive environment.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have mentioned, you might consider getting the stock ZO6 titanium exhaust. I realize it gets away from the oval tips, but if for no other reason they have better sound and are much lighter than the std C5 exhaust.

My stock titanium exhaust polishes up fairly nice with some metal polish I got through Adam's and a little elbow grease. I'm sure if it was off the car and one could work around it with a buffer, it could have the potential of a mirror finish.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV
As others have mentioned, you might consider getting the stock ZO6 titanium exhaust. I realize it gets away from the oval tips, but if for no other reason they have better sound and are much lighter than the std C5 exhaust.

My stock titanium exhaust polishes up fairly nice with some metal polish I got through Adam's and a little elbow grease. I'm sure if it was off the car and one could work around it with a buffer, it could have the potential of a mirror finish.
i have ti exhaust that i have not put on the car yet. it did polish up nice with the a set i got on line. the tips are not as nice as the magnaflow ones though. simichrome is what i used
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

You got me thinking of getting a used set of ZO6 titaniums which would be stock-ish.

I hear you about the stock stainless being suseptible to spotting and discoloration with the low grade material used.

n8dogg's idea about powder coating is interesting. Maybe powdercoating it A/E maroon to match the body, or that gold-like color to match the wheels.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
Maybe powdercoating it A/E maroon to match the body, or that gold-like color to match the wheels.

to me, that's make it look like overspray... Id go wrinkle/satin black or get the Ti's (and paint em maybe)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Used black barbecue paint to keep mine looking black

My black paint was peeling off. Used black hi temp barbecue paint to keep em nice and black. Must use hi temp paint or it will burn off.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bighank
My black paint was peeling off. Used black hi temp barbecue paint to keep em nice and black. Must use hi temp paint or it will burn off.
Did the same thing. Mine were peeling in exactly the right spot where it could be seen through the slats in the bumper. Used one of those toothbrush sized wire brushes to clean the loose stuff off, then applied the paint with one of those foam throw away paint brushes. Looks great.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Try To Polish Up OEM Mufflers?

Quick Reply: Anyone Try To Polish Up OEM Mufflers?