Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
s'noJob
CF Senior Moments
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Did you consider other generation ‘Vettes instead of C5?

In 1968, as a young teen, I knew I wanted a C3 when I grew up. Well I grew up and the C3 was waaay too old – at least the ones I could afford.

Then I wanted a C4 – till I drove one – just didn’t care for it much. C5 was next, and although I had to convince the wife to spend the bucks for the C5, (jewelry is a powerful tool,) I finally got my first ‘Vette. This was about 5 years ago.

Anyway, before you bought your C5, did you consider any other generation Corvettes?

Blackwing Intake -- Corsa Sport Exhaust with X-pipe -- Nitto NT555 Tires -- C6 Z51 Sway Bars -- Bilstein Shocks -- Hi, Lo, & Fog HIDs -- 3.15 Performance Axle -- NGK TR55 Plugs -- Russell Stainless Steel Brake Lines -- Custom Dyno Tune by Mayhem Motorsports

~ If I'm feeling a bit light-headed, does that mean I don't need a H.A.N.S?
s'noJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to BADBIRDCAGE

I have owned C1,2,3,4 & 5 cars. I currently own a 2000 convertible and a 1963 coupe. I love the C5 and am ready to market the C2 as my bride doesn't enjoy the car as much as I do. I am not seeking a C6 yet but wouldn't discount it in the future.
BADBIRDCAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
dannyman
CF Senior Member

Yep, C1,C2 and C3 all work for my taste.

And the C5, obviously!!
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Leo23
CF Senior Member

I owned a C3, 69 coupe, for 8 years during the 90's. Looked at lots of C4's last year, but ultimately decided they were just too difficult to get in and out of, as I have some hip and knee issues from some long ago injuries. Once I drove a C5, I knew it was the car for me.
Leo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member

I can't explain it but a vette never entered my "view" until the C5. Perhaps it was a matter of funds, that I was into motorcycles at the time, needed a back seat for kids don't know. For me the C5 was a vast improvement in handling and ride quality. I enjoyed my C5 for 13 years and now have a C6 waiting for a C7.....life is good.
Greg00Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Oldvetter
CF Senior Member

I had a 1964 Corvette when I was 18 years old (in 1968), and I thought it rode rough THEN !

Click the image to open in full size.

The C5 rides like a Cadillac compared to older Vettes, and it out handles them. I wouldn't be interested in owning anything older than a C5.
Oldvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
johnson-rod
CF Senior Member

I actually went out to buy a C4 but I came home with a C5.
johnson-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
GPGG70
CF Senior Member

I currently have a 70 coupe I'm restoring. A 70 convertible I enjoy driving while I'm restoring the coupe, and a 2004 machine silver Z06.
For me the question was would I consider a different generation other the the C3, and the answer was the C5

I love all of them, which means I dont plan on selling any of them any time soon.
GPGG70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

Well, I'm on my third C5 now and yes, before I bought it I did consider a C6 - but I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the C5. Never really considered any other generation as the C1s and C2s are typically way out of my price range (for a really nice example of each) and just didn't want a C3 again (had two of those).
Vetteman Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
rocknroller
CF Senior Member

I have a C4 and a C5z. Love both. To me the C4 is the better looking car, but the Z is awesome.
rocknroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
CQRT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Rolland Trayte
Send a message via AIM to CQRT

Lile many on the forum, we've owned a buncha Vettes- ten in fact, and up until last month, we'd owned each generation except the C5 - - so, when we sold the last one- a gorgeous red 73 coupe- we decided to try a C5 on for size and picked up this 02 Electron Blue - - great car so far !
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
mxz800
CF Senior Member

I had a 1970 454, now I have a 1974, and a 1998.

My son says the 98 is better all the way around (HP, handling, etc) but he said the 74 just feels more untamed??? He prefers to drive the 1974.
mxz800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Maxx_Z06
CF Senior Member
C5 COTM Coordinator

RST07MAXX 427tothaMaxx

Im leaning towards a c6z after driving my buddies. They are beastly!
Maxx_Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Kmcoldcars
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroller View Post
I have a C4 and a C5z. Love both. To me the C4 is the better looking car, but the Z is awesome.

I also have a C4 and a C5 Z06. I also think the C4 is the best looking Corvette.
Kmcoldcars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
fishbust
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Growing up I always wanted a C3, 68 to 72.
I am thinking at this point they may be death traps as a driver with no air bags, so wanted to go more modern for a primary driver in good weather.

I would like a C6 but got a great deal on a C5 and I love it.

I will always want that C3 and ya never know, I just may wind up with one as a second vette down the road a little bit, right time, right deal........
fishbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
JaxEagle
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s'noJob View Post
In 1968, as a young teen, I knew I wanted a C3 when I grew up. Well I grew up and the C3 was waaay too old – at least the ones I could afford.

Then I wanted a C4 – till I drove one – just didn’t care for it much. C5 was next, and although I had to convince the wife to spend the bucks for the C5, (jewelry is a powerful tool,) I finally got my first ‘Vette. This was about 5 years ago.

Anyway, before you bought your C5, did you consider any other generation Corvettes?
Funny, my story i similar. Started out set on a C3. For a variety of reasons, cost, comfort and drivability to name a few, I was talked into a C5. I am very happy but I'd still like a C3 also.
JaxEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
sfc rick
CF Senior Member

I owned a couple of C4's one of each version 88 and 93, I still have my 88 C4 and wouldn't part with it for anything. I still can't believe how freaking awesome it looks, BUT my C5 ain't nothing to sneeze at either. I did want a C6 Z06, but have decided not to lose my C5 which is every bit as capable.

Even a C7 wouldn't be a step up from my C5. BUT even then I still couldn't afford a new Vette. It would take $80,000(new) or $45,000 used to even have another Vette be close to mine.
sfc rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
JaxEagle
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPGG70 View Post
I currently have a 70 coupe I'm restoring. A 70 convertible I enjoy driving while I'm restoring the coupe, and a 2004 machine silver Z06.
For me the question was would I consider a different generation other the the C3, and the answer was the C5

I love all of them, which means I dont plan on selling any of them any time soon.
Sounds like a perfect stable to me!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
JaxEagle
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc rick View Post
I owned a couple of C4's one of each version 88 and 93, I still have my 88 C4 and wouldn't part with it for anything. I still can't believe how freaking awesome it looks, BUT my C5 ain't nothing to sneeze at either. I did want a C6 Z06, but have decided not to lose my C5 which is every bit as capable.

Even a C7 wouldn't be a step up from my C5. BUT even then I still couldn't afford a new Vette. It would take $80,000(new) or $45,000 used to even have another Vette be close to mine.
Yep, best of both worlds!! That's were I am trying to get with my car.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
duramaxsky
CF Senior Member

I also have a C6 but I like the C3 best of all. I will get one of those as well. The C5 is light years a better driver than the C3 and has the closest looks to a C3. I like to drive the C5 better than the C6 as well. More edgy and sporty. The C6 is just too cushy and ha too many goodies for a real sports car. As for aC3 I can't decide if I want chrome bumpers or a late model. I also find the 73 interesting as I like the rear chrome and the rubber front. But the newer rubber fronts look better. JMHO

1998 Black C5 Coupe
2008 JSB C6 Vert
2003 Chevy 2500HD diesel Arrival Blue
duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Did you consider other generation ‘Vettes instead of C5?