Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a Corvette.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
The BOSS is a really nice car and I don't think any will argue about it's stock performance. It is awesome, especially at that price. But seriously, are we comparing it to a Corvette 10-15 years its senior? Apples to Oranges right? You can modify but it still doesn't totally replace a brand new package unless you do some really heavy modifying.

I have a modified car, albeit not heavily. I could afford to get a new car but the main reasons I choose my car are the classic C5 looks. Before too long I think many will appreciate that part of the C5 and hold it up there as one of the short list of hottest looking cars ever made in the USA.
Believe me, I'm with you. I love the C-5 above ANY of the modern Corvettes, the styling is beyond it's years. Also there are BUTTLOADS of them, if I want one again later, they will be available, and I'm sure less expensive, it's inevitable the car will be cheaper. The BOSS 302's looks are really reminiscent of the original, Ford kept this car as close in concept to the 69-70 cars, free revving powerhouse engine, tight chassis, and a strippo interior. Even the radio sounds awful, no amps or premium speakers, but the "music" out my side pipes makes up for it all!

The door opened on the new BOSS for a limited time for me, my son is a Ford Service Tech and we were able to get Ford's Employee "D" plan discount on the car, a savings of $4500. (most are selling at MSRP or above) add in the Corvette trade, I'm at $22K for the BOSS, a no-brainer)

Last edited by Black 'n Tan; 12-08-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

My first speeding ticket was in a brand new 1970 Boss 302, Grabber Orange back in 1970, but not my last. Shaker hood, slats on the rear window, 4 speed, all the bells and whistles. You have a very nice care and it does look like its on steroids.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,484 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Good taste. That model TL S was cool. Your daughter is getting a nice first car.

Coincidentally, my wife just spent a month or two weighing the G37 vs the IS350. Both are very nice and that's why it took so long. She bounced back and forth like a ping pong ball. Looks are a bit different amongst them but both are nice. The infiniti looks a bit sportier but maybe not as much in the sedan. She chose the Lexus because it was considerably quieter than the G37. The G37 has 20-25 more HP but is a heavier car also. Driving several of each, I agreed with her that the Lexus had a more comfortable ride for every day purposes. There wasn't much noticeable difference in power either way.
Thanks for the feedback. Another thing about the G37 is that the interior looks a little dated and they will be releasing an all new design in 2014. I would rather find a mid-year model that has the latest technology. However, with my desire for rear-wheel drive, my selection is limited. I like the Cadillac CTS as well but like BMW, the options make the price rise pretty quickly.

(Sorry for the hijack) - Enjoy the Mustang Boss.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 PM
VETTEV
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice color... And a BOSS too! Be sure to take the wave to the dark side...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for the feedback. Another thing about the G37 is that the interior looks a little dated and they will be releasing an all new design in 2014. I would rather find a mid-year model that has the latest technology. However, with my desire for rear-wheel drive, my selection is limited. I like the Cadillac CTS as well but like BMW, the options make the price rise pretty quickly.

(Sorry for the hijack) - Enjoy the Mustang Boss.
Yes, apologies for the hijack - like the Boss quite a bit

I also think the Ford Taurus SHO is nice looking and even the new Fusion is solid.

But, all things considered, I agree the CTS is a very strong contender. It's on my short list for sure. Nice looking, strong, plush, american. I am not too interested in BMW, based on purchase and ongoing maintenance costs. Caddy isn't cheap but is within reason.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 PM
gotz06?
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CBZZZC5
My condolences on your loss.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice upgrade with a pretty stout motor under the hood. You'll have to let us know how it compares to your retired C5!

But what was Ford thinking with the front grille where the fog lights go on the GT's? It looks like they forgot to slap on fog lights at the factory!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,484 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket
Nice upgrade with a pretty stout motor under the hood. You'll have to let us know how it compares to your retired C5!

But what was Ford thinking with the front grille where the fog lights go on the GT's? It looks like they forgot to slap on fog lights at the factory!
Yeah, I don't get that either. A regular grill, without the circle cut outs, would look better.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket

The cut outs were left to be popped out for extra cooling on the track, I think aesthetics weren't really the priority, functionality was.

I love the Caddy CTS as well, it's a beautiful car.....................so many nice cars, so little time.

BTW, I rebuilt my first LS1 this past Summer for a friend, '98 Z28 Camaro, 57,000 miles, my friend's son beat the **** out of it and spun #6 rod bearing. I was really impressed with the engine, nicely built. Crank kit, new piston, rod, hone job, bead blasted pistons and new rings, bearings, lifters, oil pump, cleaned block, replaced valve seals. Engine runs like a bear, not bad for $1500 parts and machine shop labor! BTW, that pressed on vibration damper is a real PIA to install.

Don't worry, I've still got a finger in the pot for a little taste of GM once in a while, I just love cars, but I was always a Ford guy first. They just didn't make a Mustang that impressed me, my 'Vette filled that void till now. In the future, I can see a C-5 Corvette rag top in the stable, but it's got to be YELLOW!

Last edited by Black 'n Tan; 12-08-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan
In the future, I can see a C-5 Corvette rag top in the stable, but it's got to be YELLOW!
Good idea! Yellow Vettes are definitely hot looking. I love red and yellow but the extra attention those colors draw is what keeps me away.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!!!!

I curretly own 2 mustangs besides my vette, so I am also a mustang fan. I think my vette is the best ALL AROUND car that I own (I also own a 1990 camaro not mentioned above). The mustangs have things that they do better, like straight line acceleration, but like I stated my vette is the BEST ALL AROUND!

You are all correct, my C5 is almost 10 years old & in the car world with the technology these days it might as well be 100 years old...LOL.

I have a little bit of a different take on the handling capabilities of the C5 vs. that of the 13 BOSS. I think the BOSS is easier to drive at its limits as it has more "keep you safe stuff" than the vette. For example, my 08 mustang has a good blend of handling mods as does my vette. Yet for a NON-PROFESSIONAL driver, I feel I can push the mustang more, this in my opinion is due to the fact I feel more of the road on the vette & therefore would need to be a better driver to push it harder. Just my .02, I DO agree that the new BOSS is badass & I'm sure the years techology that it has on the C5 help quite a bit. I just feel our C5's might hold it's own if they where both driven on a road coarse by a professional driver.......
Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 3318C5

I curretly own 2 mustangs besides my vette, so I am also a mustang fan. I think my vette is the best ALL AROUND car that I own (I also own a 1990 camaro not mentioned above). The mustangs have things that they do better, like straight line acceleration, but like I stated my vette is the BEST ALL AROUND!

You are all correct, my C5 is almost 10 years old & in the car world with the technology these days it might as well be 100 years old...LOL.

I have a little bit of a different take on the handling capabilities of the C5 vs. that of the 13 BOSS. I think the BOSS is easier to drive at its limits as it has more "keep you safe stuff" than the vette. For example, my 08 mustang has a good blend of handling mods as does my vette. Yet for a NON-PROFESSIONAL driver, I feel I can push the mustang more, this in my opinion is due to the fact I feel more of the road on the vette & therefore would need to be a better driver to push it harder. Just my .02, I DO agree that the new BOSS is badass & I'm sure the years techology that it has on the C5 help quite a bit. I just feel our C5's might hold it's own if they where both driven on a road coarse by a professional driver.......

The thing that impresses me most on the BOSS is the old school Torsen helical cut differential. It helps this Mustang put power down like no limited slip could ever. Motor Trend got a 2012 BOSS to put down a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. I find my car too uses it's power WAY more efficiently than a limited slip. The Torsen ADDS torque to the wheel with best traction, while still driving the slipping side. A limited slip "gives up traction" and can cause a violent lurch on hookup. (don't ask me how I know)

I wonder if Torsen makes a diff for the transaxle on the 'vette, that would be my first mod on the car. It was my biggest complaint with my C-5, when really getting on the car the rear of the car would get real squirrely even with active handling on. I scared the #$%@ out of myself one time and nearly put the 'Vette in a cornfield!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
boostedfury
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Congrats man gorgeous car
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3318C5

Good assessment and makes perfect sense. Plus aside from great all around performance of the newer stangs they also look tough as anything. I'm anxious to see what ford does in the next year or two when the new stang body style arrives.

Quick Reply: Swapped Rides