Sponsored by:

I need a C5 drink holder...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
fishbust
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a C5 drink holder...

...I know may seem a dumb question but I need a drink holder high enough to hold a 16 oz travel mug with my coffee in it and not go flying when I am banking a tight curve/exit ramp at 50 mph.

I see some on ebay and site vender catalogs but they are pricey and do not want to guess what is best as it is difficult to see in the available pics which one is higher than the others, or not.

What are you using?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

you need an old school girl in a box cup holder
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You want this:
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...04-c5-z06.aspx
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They also make version of that same holder that holds two drinks. I've had one for a couple of years and really like it.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
They also make version of that same holder that holds two drinks. I've had one for a couple of years and really like it.
Yep, Travel Buddy double. Works great, but does carry the Corvette tax . . .

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted something that can be adjusted and folded away. I picked up two of these:

I used shorter screws, so it's screwed into the carpet in four spots and has been serving me well for years. I did not screw anything into the plastic or anything behind the carpet. One day I removed it to clean the carpet and you could never tell it was there. The carpet fibers hide the screw points.

The great thing is it can be adjusted to safely contain something as small as a Red Bull, a tiny Starbucks Espresso can or as large as a extra large drink from 7-11. It will easily handle a gigantic Arizona can. I've never had any spillage.

I use GM's sad attempt as a cup holder to sit my cell phone in.

When you're not using it, fold it away and it blends into the car.

It's made by American Technology and called The Mugger. Part CH-00100-BLK-1. It's available in black, tan, white, navy blue and grey. $6.40 shipped.

Last edited by GK; 12-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,488 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I have the two drink Travel Buddy.

Simple and easy to install or remove.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

I have this holder and it works great as long as I drive like a normal person. It will not securely hold my 12oz coffee under hard acceleration, hard deceleration, or hard cornering. The arms that hold the cup just ratchet to adjust the size, but easily move.

I've acquired a natural reflex to grab the cup under certain circumstances.

Originally Posted by pewter99
you need an old school girl in a box cup holder
Originally Posted by GK
I wanted something that can be adjusted and folded away. I picked up two of these:

I used shorter screws, so it's screwed into the carpet in four spots and has been serving me well for years. I did not screw anything into the plastic or anything behind the carpet. One day I removed it to clean the carpet and you could never tell it was there. The carpet fibers hide the screw points.

The great thing is it can be adjusted to safely contain something as small as a Red Bull, a tiny Starbucks Espresso can or as large as a extra large drink from 7-11. It will easily handle a gigantic Arizona can. I've never had any spillage.

It's made by American Technology and called The Mugger. Part CH-00100-BLK-1. It's available in black, tan, white, navy blue and grey. $6.40 shipped.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GK

Put some clear tubing on the arms to complete the holder. I call it the "seatbelt". You can also mount it on a piece of clear or colored plastic with the top secured under the console lip and the bottom jammed onto the carpet.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
I have this holder and it works great as long as I drive like a normal person. It will not securely hold my 12oz coffee under hard acceleration, hard deceleration, or hard cornering. The arms that hold the cup just ratchet to adjust the size, but easily move.

I've acquired a natural reflex to grab the cup under certain circumstances.
What the hell are you doing?

I swear to you, I haven't lost a single drop. Maybe if I just opened the drink and placed it in there and accelerated hard, I will get some out, but I will usually take a pre-cautionary sip before I start drive.

The nice thing is if I DO lose a drop or two of water, it'll fall into the base of the holder. I just wipe it out. More importantly, nothing has ever fallen out of the holder or base onto the carpet.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,622 Likes on 14,160 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The Travel Buddy cup holder works very well.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

The "seatbelt" sounds like a good idea. I'll try it with my McD coffee. But it won't work with my favorite Aladdlin insulated cup as it has a handle that protrudes thru the gap.

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Put some clear tubing on the arms to complete the holder. I call it the "seatbelt". You can also mount it on a piece of clear or colored plastic with the top secured under the console lip and the bottom jammed onto the carpet.
I've lost a couple of cups to the carpet before I honed my reflexes.

Originally Posted by GK
What the hell are you doing?

I swear to you, I haven't lost a single drop. Maybe if I just opened the drink and placed it in there and accelerated hard, I will get some out, but I will usually take a pre-cautionary sip before I start drive.

The nice thing is if I DO lose a drop or two of water, it'll fall into the base of the holder. I just wipe it out. More importantly, nothing has ever fallen out of the holder or base onto the carpet.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
The "seatbelt" sounds like a good idea. I'll try it with my McD coffee. But it won't work with my favorite Aladdlin insulated cup as it has a handle that protrudes thru the gap.
After looking at the image again, I realized the arms aren't shown in the fully closed position. The arms completely tighten until they touch. That's how I can safely put a Red Bull can or other small beverages in there.

You get the best of both worlds with this cup holder. The arms adjust independently by clicks, so you can fit your Aladdlin cup in there perfectly and it won't move.

You can also widen the arms to the extreme to fit a huge cup/can/mug in there, too.

It's late, but if you're interested, I'd be glad to take some pictures for you in the morning of it in the different locking positions.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 158 Posts

girl in box! enough said
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

It is a dumb question. Aren't exit ramp speed limits like, 30 mph?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM
fishbust
Racer

Thanks everyone, just ordered up a travel buddy.

I never did figure out what the girl in the box was all about. Googled it a few different ways.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

What the heck is a "girl in the box" holder?

Get notified of new replies

To I need a C5 drink holder...

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
fishbust
Racer

Originally Posted by guido7834
It is a dumb question. Aren't exit ramp speed limits like, 30 mph?
Some are. Some are not. You need to get out more.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Yes, I know how the arms adjust. But their locking position isn't strong enough to hold the cup under the conditions I described. You must drive like an old man. When I drive like an old man, it does hold my cups. BTW, I'm 68 years young. <---

Originally Posted by GK
After looking at the image again, I realized the arms aren't shown in the fully closed position. The arms completely tighten until they touch. That's how I can safely put a Red Bull can or other small beverages in there.

You get the best of both worlds with this cup holder. The arms adjust independently by clicks, so you can fit your Aladdlin cup in there perfectly and it won't move.

You can also widen the arms to the extreme to fit a huge cup/can/mug in there, too.

It's late, but if you're interested, I'd be glad to take some pictures for you in the morning of it in the different locking positions.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbust
Some are. Some are not. You need to get out more.
I get out enough. Never seen an exit ramp 50 MPH...drive safely so you don't kill someone.

Quick Reply: I need a C5 drink holder...