Sponsored by:

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 AM
wild oats
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire question

I just purchased '02 convert, Has Almost -new goodyear GS D3's,(non run-flat)
The car also came with "repop chrome zo6 type wheels",.. I am going back to the original c5 oem polished spokes,
But looking for a nice quiet ride,
Winter is coming on now without time to really test these . Would like a couple of "forum" opinions on these GS D3's tires. most reviews seem they are positive handling for sure, but are they half quiet , should I push the button on a new set of non-run flats?? or should these existing D3's tires be reused on the original rims. I'm perhaps opening a huge opinon window.. Thanks..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM
mighty mousd
Instructor

Originally Posted by wild oats
I just purchased '02 convert, Has Almost -new goodyear GS D3's,(non run-flat)
The car also came with "repop chrome zo6 type wheels",.. I am going back to the original c5 oem polished spokes,
But looking for a nice quiet ride,
Winter is coming on now without time to really test these . Would like a couple of "forum" opinions on these GS D3's tires. most reviews seem they are positive handling for sure, but are they half quiet , should I push the button on a new set of non-run flats?? or should these existing D3's tires be reused on the original rims. I'm perhaps opening a huge opinon window.. Thanks..
They are great tires but Goodyear quit making them. Check the date codes and tread and then figure out what to do with them.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,527 Likes on 14,091 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The GS D3 tires are very good and ones that Goodyear should still be making but sadly don't. The handling is very good and you should not get much road noise with them on the car. I would agree that it's been a while since Goodyear quit making them, so check the manufacturing date code on the sidewalls and see just how old they are.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
wild oats
Racer

Thanks ! will, check the codes ,....
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default These fellows have given you

excellent advice. When I bought my 01 vert in 02/11, it had 14 K on it and a lot of tread on the 10 y/o OEM run flats. They rode like a buck board and were real noisy. 10 y/o tires were scary to me despite the absence of any visible rot. So,I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the OEM polished wheels and could not be happier. Quiet and ride super. I run 29-29.5 lbs in rear due to forum advice on wear. I drive it easily, so macho G-Force cornering is not a consideration, but these tires hold on real well when pushed. They took very little weight to balance. One needed none, which surprised me, and they run out perfectly at all speeds up to and over 100 MPH. I have USAA road service and a compressor and plug kit, so I'll take a chance to do away with the stiffer run flat sidewalls.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM
MS04Cpe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Off Topic

wild oats,

What's the power on that Picklefork.

I miss my 500 lb Texas-built Mirage with 2.5L Merc...

Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To Tire question

Quick Reply: Tire question